Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is this a decent H/U??

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
What's a Sticky?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this a decent H/U??

I haven't searched for a lot of H/U's, but this seems like its not bad. Would you guys agree that its good for my low budget?

Alpine
Old 01-22-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

I have the CDA-9833, look similar. I would say that it's a good "bang for the buck" head unit. Many would try to talk you out of Best Buy, but at least you'd get a warranty with it. I think they install their head units for free (if you buy from them) too.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:21 PM
What's a Sticky?

Yeah, I mean I want the best for my car but I can't really spend 300-500 dollars on just a head unit. I was actually just gonna leave it all stock because I'm the kind of person that the stock **** was good enough for me, but I think I wanna upgrade now. Why would they try to talk me out of bestbuy?
Old 01-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Launching!

There seems to be two types of people here on the boards (as far as car audio). The ones who can settle for good sound (basically ones with a budget)...me included. And then the ones who can and will go all the way with their system. You can't go all the way with bestbuy. I've also read many arguments from people saying that you can't compete with the quality of local audio shops, even if you factor in the price (almost always higher than big name stores). I can agree that the local shops will definately be better...quality, customer service, etc. But many, like myself, can't afford the higher prices or lack of in-store credit. For your situation, I still think that head unit is good. You can't beat the quality of Alpine when it comes to HUs.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Since it's free to install your headunit, have them install it for you, just make sure they don't use butt connector. I did my last radio and bought all the parts from Best Buy and Circuit City. I got the harness adapters from Circuit City because theirs are a plug-n-play type, but I think Best Buy also uses this type of harness.

Most people might try to steer you away from Best Buy because some of their installs are not very good, on the crappy side. Some of there not so good work are in Sat. radio, and amp installs. However I have seen some really shitty work done by audio shops. I got a friend that spent somewhere in excess of $2000 for his system and the wiring was pretty shitty. Some of the work included using butt connectors, and no grommets for the wires when passing through the fire wall. I don't like butt connectors because they are prone to vibration and will come apart, not to mention the bare wire is exposed to the enviroment. In my opinion all connections should be soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

Alpine is always a good choice, you will not set all the features and higher outs like the upper models, but should be a good starter. Install FREE is a gimick, you still have to buy the dash kit, antenna adaptor and harness, which is about $45.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Id personally go with a pioneer and install it myself.
Its not hard to do and all the parts you need to do it with are in the FAQ.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That nice a nice HU. I was helping a friend buying a HU and we looked at one similar. I would look at the CDA-9856. I would not get it from Best Buy. Get it from Crutchfield and they will give you the wiring harness, antenna adaptor and mounting kit for free. Best Buy will charge you for that and will set you back ~$60. Install it yourself and will take about 15-20 minutes. The mounting hardware from Crutchfield comes with instuctions as well.

Last edited by Blacker; 01-22-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 PM
What's a Sticky?

Okay, thanks a lot