Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauge wiring

I need help wiring up my pillar gauges. What/where should I tap in for switched 12v, and for the one that connects to the dash lights?

TIA
Old 02-21-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Can anyone help?
Old 02-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Teching In

For the 12V switched, any pink wire on a 99+ fbody will be 12V switched. Just look under the dash for one and test it to make 100% sure it is switched. As for the lights, you will have to check the wires coming out of one any light source that turns on such as your headlights. Someone else may be able to tell you the exact wire to use. But if you want your gauges to light up all the time, day or night, just use the same wire as you do for the 12V switched. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by SS 1LE
For the 12V switched, any pink wire on a 99+ fbody will be 12V switched. Just look under the dash for one and test it to make 100% sure it is switched. As for the lights, you will have to check the wires coming out of one any light source that turns on such as your headlights. Someone else may be able to tell you the exact wire to use. But if you want your gauges to light up all the time, day or night, just use the same wire as you do for the 12V switched. Hope this helps.
Although that is commonly believed, not all pink wires are 12V switched. For example, the power antenna wire is pink. You could test all day and it would look like a 12V switched source (because most people don't turn the radio off when testing) but when the gauges failed to work at the track with the radio off you'd have a difficult time finding the problem.

Similarly, most - but not all - brown wires are used for the parking/running lights and can be tapped for gauge illumination.

The preferred method for obtaining switched power is to use the accessory ports on the fuse panel. There are three of them - one for constant (battery) power, one for ignition switched power, and one for accessory power (retained accessory power). These extra ports are designed by GM for use attaching aftermarket accessories. You'll see them in the fuse panel - they're labeled BATT, IGN, and ACCY and they have only single pins rather than the two pins used by the fuses.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Teching In

I'm glad you cleared all of that up, as I was also curious as to where to get a light source. And for the accessory fuse panel sources, how do you go about connecting into them?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The ports can be plugged into using standard 1/4" spade terminals crimped or soldered to the end of your wire. There is a single bolt that holds the fuse panel in place to the side of the dash. Remove the bolt so that you can move the panel aside to feed your wire through from behind. Plug your wire into the appropriate port and route it to the side of the panel then re-attach the panel with the bolt. Make sure you put a fuse inline in your wire since the ports are protected only by a 30 amp fusible link.

While you're in the area of the fuse panel you might find it convenient to tap into the brown wire at the back of the headlight switch for your gauge illumination. Or, you could tap into the dark green wire at the dimmer switch to have your gauge illumination dim with the dash lights.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Wow, thats much easier than that what i've been doing. And I'm glad I know exactly what wire to use to make the gauges dim with the dashboard. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help.