Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Help No Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help No Bumps

i just installed a jl audio wedge box with 3 jl 10 wired to get a 4 ohm load. powering them is a kicker kx 500.2 that is bridged. i am still running the stock deck for now. i got a line output converter but i hooked it up to the rear speakers and i am not getting any bump from the subs. do i need to move the loc to directly behind the head unit? and if so which wires do i need to splice into? do i need to ground the loc with using this amp? i am using a audiolink powerlink 2. do i need to get a different loc? any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I have never used line converters, so just a thought. The sub bass in a monsoon system (I'm assuming you have this) only goes to the sail panel speakers, so hooking the converters to the rears won't give you much "bump".
I think they need to be in line with the sail panel speakers, but you should probably connect them before the monsoon amp, as I don't think your new amp will like getting a signal from the monsoon.
Again, just trying to help out, I have never used them. Good luck.

Just a thought, a new head unit would be a great solution. Much better sound quality, and then you can off those line converters, and just use straight RCAs. There are decent units out there that aren't too expensive, and the install is a snap. JMO.

Last edited by ded71; 03-22-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ded's right. If you tapped off of the hatch speakers they got no bass man!

Tap into the rear INPUT side of the monsoon amp, or the deck rear speaker outputs. Dat's the ticket man. No issue with doing it at the amp harness, it'll be fine.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Teching In

thanks guys but i got it to work and it was hitting hard then nothing. took it to get bench tested and the rca inputs took a dump.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to go all out like that, I can't recommend an aftermarket cd player enough. For as cheap as they are, you'll be a LOT happier than dealing with the stock deck.. You can get an Alpine 9853 for around $250 and it will do everything you could want and more.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

It'll do everything except fill up the opening and look stock...
Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It'll do everything except fill up the opening and look stock...
Why would you want a radio that looks like the stocker? Especially with 10s and everything else visible in back.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by evilbadz
Why would you want a radio that looks like the stocker? Especially with 10s and everything else visible in back.
For those of us who don't have audio equipment all over that is visible from outside, there are several reasons. The primary ones are theft deterrent (nobody's going to bother with the stock stereo) and not looking like it was added on. Many aftermarket radios look like kid's video games and very few of them look like they actually belong in the dash (no matter what install kit you use).
Old 03-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Teching In

im going to put a deck in but i am waiting to buy a house. like he said its more of a theft thing. people look inside see the stock deck and assume screw it this thing doesnt have anything. or at least thats what im hoping.