Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

system finally installed. *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default system finally installed. *PICS*

I finally got my new stuff installed. I have a subthump box with a 10" Kicker L7. I have a MTX 8100D amp that I have forever but puts out a crazy ammoung of RMS watts(1200). Head unit is and old Alpine deck which is serving me good.

Few pics of the sub/amp setup. Pretty basic, but it sounds nice!

Old 04-15-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The carpet on your subthump box, is that grey or black?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

They call it "standard grey". Doesnt match perfectly, but I like it MUCH better than huge dual 12" box that I had in the top area before.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice and clean... Looks like you have a foot long shifter, lol but after looking more closely, its the parking break pulled up.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still looks like a foot long shifter!!!!! Box looks badass though. Congrats.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

lol @ the foot long shifter comments. I do wish the box would sit a bit nicer. I need to get a rubber mallet, maybe that will make it sit a bit farther in
Old 04-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned

I noticed that you have your sub running off one channel. Any reason for that? Most guys running one sub off one amp run one positive and one negative from off each channel bridging it mono. Or is that amp too strong for that sub, I wouldn't think it would be. By the way beautiful set up!! Love how you installed the amp wiring so neatly through the carpet!! In fact, that's why I noticed the wiring to the amp..lol! As far as the subthump fit, they fit pretty nice...the JL Audio or Vantage stealth fit way better. Of course you wouldn't be able to run a solobaric in one either...ah tradeoffs. I have a subthump passenger side stealth and it fits ok but I had to muscle it around to get it exactly where I wanted it to look right. I love a the nice, clean install! Great work!!
Old 04-16-2006, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
I noticed that you have your sub running off one channel. Any reason for that? Most guys running one sub off one amp run one positive and one negative from off each channel bridging it mono. Or is that amp too strong for that sub, I wouldn't think it would be. By the way beautiful set up!! Love how you installed the amp wiring so neatly through the carpet!! In fact, that's why I noticed the wiring to the amp..lol! As far as the subthump fit, they fit pretty nice...the JL Audio or Vantage stealth fit way better. Of course you wouldn't be able to run a solobaric in one either...ah tradeoffs. I have a subthump passenger side stealth and it fits ok but I had to muscle it around to get it exactly where I wanted it to look right. I love a the nice, clean install! Great work!!
Yeah, my amp is crazy. It puts out over 1200 RMS. So just running at half the power is quite enough. I had a huge system before, but I jsut kept the amp.

The subthump box fits kinds crappy, but for 100 bucks made for a l7, it aint bad. I get good prices on Kicker stuff, so i was kinds limited on what sub to buy.

Now I have to get my windows tinted so my amp doesnt get stolen
Old 04-16-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt run only one channel like that. Bridge the amp and turn the gain way down is much better.

at the foot long shifter
Old 04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol999, i dont know if you already do this, but i would recommend putting the "flap" piece or whatever its called back in when your driving around. especially if you dont have tint. i just installed a kicker 700.5 amp in the same location and a solo baric l5. i always leave the flap covering the amp, unless im cruising around on a sunday and know im not gonna be leaving the car alone. just my .02
Old 04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
lol999, i dont know if you already do this, but i would recommend putting the "flap" piece or whatever its called back in when your driving around. especially if you dont have tint. i just installed a kicker 700.5 amp in the same location and a solo baric l5. i always leave the flap covering the amp, unless im cruising around on a sunday and know im not gonna be leaving the car alone. just my .02
Thanks for the input. But the "flap" was not with the car when i bought it. I have a apt to get tint installed this week, so hopefully that should deture anyone trying to jack my ****
Old 04-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Banned

Ebay one...they're dirt cheap and you can still see a chrome amp through tint. Especially with a lighter colored interior. Might try the junk yard. I've seen a few just never thought to grab one. Of course they usually go for the HU before the amp.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lol999
Thanks for the input. But the "flap" was not with the car when i bought it. I have a apt to get tint installed this week, so hopefully that should deture anyone trying to jack my ****
A nice Glock mounted under the seat does wonders for my ****
Old 04-17-2006, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I wouldnt run only one channel like that. Bridge the amp and turn the gain way down is much better.

at the foot long shifter
It's a monoblock amp.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How did you mount your amp? Thats where I want to mount mine but I'm afraid I will get the gas tank if I drill holes.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02trns_am
How did you mount your amp? Thats where I want to mount mine but I'm afraid I will get the gas tank if I drill holes.
Mine is mounted the same way. I just lifted up the carpet and put a sheet of mdf underneath. You could secure it to the sheetmetal underneath with some liquid nails or other such adhesive. I didn't bother though, the screws through the carpet and the pressure of the amp locked down against it hold it in place nicely.

Last edited by taintedmeat; 04-18-2006 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good, I never realized how much I love tan interiors til i saw your car
Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Mine is mounted the same way. I just lifted up the carpet and put a sheet of mdf underneath. You could secure it to the sheetmetal underneath with some liquid nails or other such adhesive. I didn't bother though, the screws threw the carpet and the pressure of the amp locked down against it hold it in place nicely.

Same way mine is mounted. Better than sitting in the back with nothing holding it in like it was installed in my old TA.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lol999
lol @ the foot long shifter comments. I do wish the box would sit a bit nicer. I need to get a rubber mallet, maybe that will make it sit a bit farther in
I had a similar issue with mine. It was hitting on the bolts that the plastic nuts go on and the wheel well part on the right. Cut the bolts down a bit and used a hammer for the rest. Just make sure you don't hit the quarter panely. Where yours is sitting right now, the sub has to be hitting the t-top.

I've got mine about an inch farther and still have to put a piece of rubber between the t-top and the plastic where the t-top connects to to push it out a bit.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
It's a monoblock amp.
i was just about to say its probably a mono amp, which in that case all those speaker terminals are wired in parallel internally anyway. i guess that "Easy wiring" feature confuses people sometimes...

Quick Reply: system finally installed. *PICS*