Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best placement of Dynamat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best placement of Dynamat?

I am trying to reduce some of the interior noise (I brought it upon myself with the dumped exhaust but any quieting helps). Just wondering where I should place Dynamat or Accumat to reduce noise. I guess another way to word it is where does most of the road noise come in from? I prefer not to take the seats out but if I have to then I will. Help please?

P.S. Trying to quiet outside noise not using it for the speakers...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Launching!

A good place to start is the trunk area and rear wheel wells.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTTM
I did my whole car, but like BTTM said the biggest difference to me was in the trunk/wheelwells. Doing the doors also made a huge difference. Plus you lose the rattling can effect when you shut the door. Its just a nice thud now with minimal noise.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

I know this is probably gonna sound stupid but do I just cover the wheel well with the stuff or put like pieces here and there? The input is appreciated!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I tried to keep the pieces a big as possible. I just did some rough measuring and cut to fit. I just trimmed the excess off. I overlapped the pieces about a 1/4" as well.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and being it's expensive, use the "excess" in other areas if you can.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

on my 91 i put in on the floor boards. it helped.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want to do it right then cover the floor, trunk and wheel wells. For best results use 3 or more layers of dynamat.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
If you want to do it right then cover the floor, trunk and wheel wells. For best results use 3 or more layers of dynamat.
woah.. that's a lotta matting.

i'd go 1 layer at least on doors/trunk/wheel wells.. especially that spare tire area.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trojan35
woah.. that's a lotta matting.

i'd go 1 layer at least on doors/trunk/wheel wells.. especially that spare tire area.
It's actually not that much. Obviously one layer will do the job, but anything more than that is a better and better improvement.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I only did 1 layer and its perfect for what I wanted. Plus I didn't want to add to much weight. I did alot of research on sound deadening when I did mine.

Dynamat is one of the best out there. Almost every complaint about it was the price. You can find it pretty reasonable if you shop around. I paid $125 for the extreme bulk packs. Lots of people use different sound deadeners for price alone. Just dont get a roofing material based deadener. From what I've read it'll stink up your car and isnt as good as the newer products.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BTTM
I 101212nd this. After taking out the rear seats, the sound coming from the rear drives me nuts. I have a Magnaflow back there but I didn't realize how obnoxious it sounded inside the cabin without the rear seats there.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Resident

One layer of dynomat extreme should be plenty. The cargo area and the doors. The roof is good too if you don't have t-tops. I even did the rear hatch.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:28 AM
11 Second Club

Just found this thread. I installed 1 of the door packs of Xtreme yesterday in the flat area above the axle and the spare tire area. HUGE difference already!!! Did the drivers sail speaker last night and going to finish off a 2nd box today on other sail speaker and then starting on the floor. It's primarily the large panels in the car which increase the road noise because their size transmits the lower frequencies easily. . .right? Hence doors, trunk area, floor. . .(and for the coupes, the roof) right?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all dont use dynamat. Its too expensive. Look into raamat, its cheaper and thicker which equates to better(unless you buy the ultra expensive). I did a 3 stage sound deadening to my car. 1. second skin liquid spectrum 2. raamat 3. ensolite foam.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/northwest-members/483439-sound-deadening-project.html
I did mine for a stereo install but was looking to reduce road noise as well.
You need to overlap your seems. Keeping bigger peices is always better.
Dynamatt is a name brand and cost more because of the name. It is in no way better than Second skin or Raaamat. You want to use butyl based matting. Its the only thing that sticks and stays put. No it doesnt smell after installation. Do a little research and you'll be amazed at what info you can find on the "web". Second Skin Spectrum is actualy better than the matting when applied in the same thickness.
If your gonna do it you might as well do it right or your just wasting time and money. Plan on taking out your interior if you dont want to just waste your money. Start in the trunk and work your way forward. Cover any exposed metal you see. Dont be affraid to overlap a lot. The doors arent going to change your road noise so unless you care about them dont bother with them. The rain channels let the noise in and out anyway. Have I said dont use dynamatt yet?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Restricted User

I've used rammat before, and I've used dynamat extreme.
"for the money" rammat can be argued as a better value, but I do not feel it is a better product then dynamat extreme.

my car so free of vibrations, that when I sit in other fbodies, their car feels cheaper to me with how much road noise and vibration get in.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dynamatt "extreme" is thicker and should be better due to the thickness but its cost is just to much. Regular dynamatt isn't better at all. It would have been at least $600-$800 for dynamatt extreme to do what I did, without shipping. Thats why I went the route I did. Bottom line is thicker is better. But you need to look at cost or you'll waste a lot of money with Dynamatt. I combined a couple things to get my best possible result for how much money I had to spend. If money wasnt an object I would have gone with Second Skin for everything and used their extreme duty stuff.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Dynamatt "extreme" is thicker and should be better due to the thickness but its cost is just to much. Regular dynamatt isn't better at all. It would have been at least $600-$800 for dynamatt extreme to do what I did, without shipping. Thats why I went the route I did. Bottom line is thicker is better. But you need to look at cost or you'll waste a lot of money with Dynamatt. I combined a couple things to get my best possible result for how much money I had to spend. If money wasnt an object I would have gone with Second Skin for everything and used their extreme duty stuff.

Look on ebay. A box of dynomat extreme can be purchased for $100 a box. It's simply the best product I have seen and used. You just need to do some shopping. Retail pricing is crazy. I'm with mike @f-body. Dynomat extreme is an impressive product.

You should do the doors. There may not be road noise from it, but it certainly rattles allot when you are running big power bass.

I bet Mike@fbody will vouch for that.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Look on ebay. A box of dynomat extreme can be purchased for $100 a box. It's simply the best product I have seen and used. You just need to do some shopping. Retail pricing is crazy. I'm with mike @f-body. Dynomat extreme is an impressive product.

You should do the doors. There may not be road noise from it, but it certainly rattles allot when you are running big power bass.

I bet Mike@fbody will vouch for that.

Like I said my whole car is Dynamatted from the headliner to even the outside between the taillights/body. I only have 1 layer on everything and it made a huge difference. I dont think of my interior as being cheap and rattly anymore. When I hop in one of my buddies car I think, what the hell is all that noise. Just shutting someones elses car door makes me cringe from all the rattles. It sounds like the door is falling apart compared to mine.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino

Like I said my whole car is Dynamatted from the headliner to even the outside between the taillights/body. I only have 1 layer on everything and it made a huge difference. I dont think of my interior as being cheap and rattly anymore. When I hop in one of my buddies car I think, what the hell is all that noise. Just shutting someones elses car door makes me cringe from all the rattles. It sounds like the door is falling apart compared to mine.
my comment was directed to 99, see above.

But I am with ya. My console has to be dynomatted, the only thing I didn't do. So when the radio is off, I can hear it. Rofl

Quick Reply: Best placement of Dynamat?