Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

modifying pontiac stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modifying pontiac stereo

re-doing my inter. and sound. i am upgrading to component speakers. i want to get rid of that stock delco amp and possibly change the whole speaker/head unit wiring harness. What all should I do, is it possible? I'm snaggin' an amp 2. Any help is appreciated. What kind of speaker wire should I use for the components?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

IDK anything about car stereo's, but I've always had great luck with monster for my home system.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you looking to run your components off a seperate amp or the monsoon? Also are you putting in subwoofers?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some pics in my sig for ideas
Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

i don't have the monsoon system in my car, unless it was standard on 97 Trans Ams, but there was no monsoon lettering on the stock radio or any on the crappy stock amp. I plan to run subs later on but for now I just want to power the door panel speakers and tweeters from the head unit and then the middle and rear speakers from an amp. I need to know what to do to get rid of the stock amp and not have any trouble, and I want to upgrade all the speaker wire also! I need help as I am not to knowledgable on the subject!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

If you have a stock amp in a 97 then it's a Monsoon system. The 97 and 98 models didn't have the Monsoon label on the head unit. Look for a W54 or W55 option code on your door sticker to confirm.

In any case, as long as you're planning on redoing all the speaker wiring anyway, eliminating the amp is easy - just leave it out of your wiring. The head unit is just an ordinary Delco unit using standard GM connections (the pinouts are listed in the frequently asked questions thread at the top of this forum). There is no line-level output from the head unit so you will have to add a line-level adapter to feed your replacement amp or else buy a replacement amp that takes speaker-level input. Other than that it's just like wiring any other stereo system.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are dedicated enough to consider full re-wiring, components and seperate amplification, please also include a new head unit in that mix. The factory monsoon head unit cannot provide a clean signal to any amplifier, it produces distortion at all volumes and is really very bad at medium to high volumes. I didn't believe it either, but it really is very bad.

A line level converter will limit the impact of this to some extent but you are still feeding your new amps and speakers a rather poor signal. The monsoon head unit should be kept only if you are absolutely dead set on keeping factory appearance, because using it is as the main source is a huge compromise to a new system build.

In general I would recommend using the existing (standard) GM harness for your head unit, running RCA's from your deck back along with amp wiring and new speaker wires from the amp. You can pull the monsoon amp out and hide it in a closet, and sell your old head unit for $50-100. Good monsoon speakers also fetch good money. I sold my vert set for over $150 on ebay.

There are PAC adapters that allow you to use steering wheel controls with an aftermarket radio, as long as it has a remote sensor. You'll want to deal with that at the same time you are doing everything else.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Banned

I don't have a stock head unit anymore, I have some decent Kenwood MP3 head unit. About to buy either one of these http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6857.html or
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_6861.html

I already have some Pioneer 4-way 6x9s in the rear section and some sony xplod 6.5s in the middle still with stock speakers up front. Didn't help much tho, they sound awesome in my sisters eclipse tho for some reason!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:58 AM
Banned

TTT and last post!