Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Red-Light accenting my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 03:15 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by contemptor
Thanks a ton man, that's what I'm going to do. Hate to sound stupid, but how do I get under the A pillar.
If you don't have t-tops then just open the door and pull the trim panel away from the A pillar - it's held on with clips. If you have t-tops you will have to remove them and take out the two screws at the top of the pillar trim before you can pull it off.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
I'm not sure. . .but I believe 00Z28 meant 15" or inches. . .never seen a 15 foot red light.
haha yeah I meant 15in,
Old 06-27-2006, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Duffster
I'm not sure. . .but I believe 00Z28 meant 15" or inches. . .never seen a 15 foot red light.
I know, it was a joke since he typed 15'
Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you don't have t-tops then just open the door and pull the trim panel away from the A pillar - it's held on with clips. If you have t-tops you will have to remove them and take out the two screws at the top of the pillar trim before you can pull it off.
I do have t-tops. I will try to do this once I get a chance, probably next week.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah i got some red cathode tubes from a computer supply store online. And i have red dome lights.

Does anyone know if its illegal to have red light, cause I heard it was but im not sure.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

http://autolumination.com/ good site for bulbs ...... festoon bulbs for dome and map lights and 74 for hvac and headlight switch and 194 for dash .... been there ... done that ... red exterior and interior

CCFL in floor soon and also leds in vents
Old 07-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by sampson01
http://autolumination.com/ good site for bulbs ...... festoon bulbs for dome and map lights and 74 for hvac and headlight switch and 194 for dash .... been there ... done that ... red exterior and interior

CCFL in floor soon and also leds in vents
I hear an echo...(post #13)
Old 07-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

thanks whitebird

if u got a set of camaro ***** u can peel the plastic off to get a better look on the hvac if u are going red with those too
Old 02-04-2007, 05:53 PM
Teching In

I jsut got my map lights from advance auto parts it's bulb number 211-2 red. The are a little different than the 212-2 but work perfectly. I am still trying to find a red dome light and it looks kinda crappy with a white dome. so if anyone can tell me the number of the dome and maybe where to get a red one that would be awsome!
Old 02-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by KenrickCustom
I jsut got my map lights from advance auto parts it's bulb number 211-2 red. The are a little different than the 212-2 but work perfectly. I am still trying to find a red dome light and it looks kinda crappy with a white dome. so if anyone can tell me the number of the dome and maybe where to get a red one that would be awsome!
Post #13, earlier in this thread:
You can find red bulbs online at places such as autolumination.com. The mirror uses #214-2 and the dome light uses #561. You can Google using "bulb red 561" (without the quotes) to find other suppliers.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by contemptor
First of all, does anyone know where I can buy red bulbs to put in my rear view mirror and my dome light? I tried using some red plastic things that wrapped around the bulbs that autozone sold, but um... they started smoking after being on a few minutes, so that didn't work.

Also, I'd like to put something under the passenger and driver side, like down above the feet. The easiest thing I can think of is red neons, anyone have any suggestions what to buy? I want to wire whatever I get so that it only turns on when the doors open... where should I wire them to?

EDIT- Links to ebay auctinos or something for suggetions would be great
I'm kind of surprised that no one's thought of this, but goto a computer store and pickup a 10 or 10" red neon light for 10 bucks. They're 12v so no problems there.
OInly thing is that neon lights don't like the cold and you can't dim them if they bother you at night when you're driving...

I'd suggest looking for a LED light strip. way less power consumption, very little heat at all, cold weather frendly and they'll take a few more kicks when stuck under the dash than ANY neon.

Just my two cents
Old 02-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Rede
I'm kind of surprised that no one's thought of this, but goto a computer store and pickup a 10 or 10" red neon light for 10 bucks. They're 12v so no problems there.
OInly thing is that neon lights don't like the cold and you can't dim them if they bother you at night when you're driving...

I'd suggest looking for a LED light strip. way less power consumption, very little heat at all, cold weather frendly and they'll take a few more kicks when stuck under the dash than ANY neon.

Just my two cents
Actually, what I think you're refering to are cold cathode lights. They are very much like neons (they're glass tubes and require a power transformer) but they're much less expensive and have very low current draw. You can get a pair of 4" cold cathode tubes with 12V power supply for about $7, a pair of 12" tubes with power supply is about $15. Buy them from a motorcycle or auto accessory shop because they come coated with a plastic safety coating to make the more resistant to damage. And they will dim somewhat, although not as well as a normal bulb does.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

i suggest LED bulbs for the dome light and map lights. if your camaro is 2000+ then i think your map light bulbs are 194, at lest mine were in my 01. i wasnted super white (like what the new caddys have) and so i did that. check ebay for "red led 194" or plug in the bulb number for the other one. itll lok way better, no heat, last forever, and the color wont fade.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FireSilverLullaby
Yeah i got some red cathode tubes from a computer supply store online. And i have red dome lights.

Does anyone know if its illegal to have red light, cause I heard it was but im not sure.
only if it is showing forward is the law i believe, im sure there would be no problem with having it inside your car
Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ledgauges.com has LED map and dome setups in red. I got a set from Nate about a year ago. They work great, and hes a sponsor.

The footwell lights are sweet. Did you say those dim like the rest of the interior lights when you open/close the door?