Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Asr?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asr?

i had i went to replace my my radio bracket the other day and noticed that there was a red wire going to my asr and it was cut.. do you know what its for?
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...7/P7140031.jpg
Old 07-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

It's not one of the factory wires for either the ASR switch or the fog light switch. The ASR switch has four wires - black with white, brown with white, purple with white, and brown. The fog light switch has five wires - brown, light green, gray, yellow, and black.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Teching In

Actually the ASR switch has 5 wires. I have to look at the factory service manual for the actual wires. I need to find another switch after the light quit working after installing a new stereo. I have metered everything and it all looks good. I can look up the wires later. I know there is one ground, a asr circuit, a dash light, another asr wire, and i forget. Let me know if you need details....
Old 07-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by georgewa
Actually the ASR switch has 5 wires. I have to look at the factory service manual for the actual wires. I need to find another switch after the light quit working after installing a new stereo. I have metered everything and it all looks good. I can look up the wires later. I know there is one ground, a asr circuit, a dash light, another asr wire, and i forget. Let me know if you need details....
Interesting...you're right. The schematic for the ASR system only shows four wires going to the switch but the pinout diagram for the switch shows five. The extra wire (gray) is used to trigger the light on the dash.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Hey White Bird, would you happen to know why the light on my ASR switch quit working after I installed a new stereo. Could it be from turning the car ignition on without the switch being hooked up and blowing the circuit somehow? I briefly turned the car on to verify the stereo was hooked up correctly. I'm hoping that the light itself. All of the fuses appear to be in good condition. I metered the purple/white wire as to my understanding is the wire for the light on the switch. There is no power there, but I'm thinking it could be a ground curcuit that is opened and closed. I noticed two other wires are live with 12v. Thanks for your time.....
Old 07-31-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are talking about just the indicator (amber) light and not the illumination - the switches are terribly fragile in this regard. I have three of them that the amber indicator light went out on.

They still work fine, but the amber indicator doesn't. I think it is a very fragile circuit/bulb.

I say this because two of the three the amber worked at one point and then stopped. The third I got from ebay and it never worked. But if someone has some other area to look at I'd appreciate knowing.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Teching In

I want a switch with the amber light that works. Anyone have the part # on these switches? They only cost like 20 bucks, thanks.....
Old 07-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Is it part # 10273877? Not sure if this is the correct switch with "asr" printed on it.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, 10273877 is the correct part number.

The indicator light in the switch is powered by the pink wire from the GAUGES fuse (hot in the RUN position of the ignition switch). It grounds through the purple with white wire which is controlled by the Electronic Brake Control Module. With the car running you should have 12V+ on the pink wire and ground on the purple with white wire if the ASR is activated. If you have that then the bulb is the problem. If there's no ground then there is something wrong with the ASR/ABS system.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the info WhiteBird........