Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

whining sound in stereo when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whining sound in stereo when accelerating?

Ok well I just got all my stereo stuff installed at a local shop. Everything sounds good except I am getting a whining sound that fluctuates with my rpms. more rpms the louder it gets. Any idea what could be causing this?
Old 07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Yes, the reason that you are getting the whining sound if you will is because you are still using the factory amplifier that is picking up engine noise from the your car. The only way to remedy this problem would be to bypass the factory amp and run new speaker wire to ALL speakers from your new head unit.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

its coming from feeback from the engine into the sound system through the factory amp like the guy above me said
Old 07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 351 Likes on 264 Posts

or if your power wire and your speaker wire are to close to each other it will also happen .

when i first did my system i ran my rca's to my headunit and my power wire right next to each other and it sounded like my rear end gears were whining. then i seperated the wires and no probs since
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
Restricted User

it's a ground loop, caused by some piece of gear in the car not having a good enough ground path, so it grounds out over your rca cables.

It may or may not be related to the factory amp.

take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it. There is no excuse for a professional installer to let a car leave the shop like that. And if they tell you that you need a ground loop isolater, ask them to pin point which piece of gear is causing the noise. If they cannot answer that, then take your car and leave, as they don't know any more then an average shade tree installer...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys. Not sure why they sent me out with the car when their was obviously a problem. I know they were reluctant to install my stuff cause it wasnt purchased through them but they went ahead and did it because everything was still brand new in the box. I did however buy all wiring from them so I would have a good reason to come back to them if I ever had a problem.
I was pretty sure they disconnected the stock monsoon amp so I am thinking it is a ground loop like mike had mentioned. I will give them a call and see what they say.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Not sure what all you had installed but cheap components will cause noise also, but it could be any of the above also including how they routed the wires. I agree with Mike,take it back and tell em whats up, it should have never left their shop making any excess noise.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

If you run the RCA cables along side the power cable, you will get noise that comes from the motor through your speakers
Old 07-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ls1mightymouse
If you run the RCA cables along side the power cable, you will get noise that comes from the motor through your speakers

not necesarily... It's an 'urban myth' if you will of car audio. It may happen in 1% or so of all cases. But for the most part, it does not cause noise, especially not alternator whine.

in my experience, I'd say 50% of all alternator whine isses has to deal with the ground wire in the factory harness not sufficient for an aftermarkey head unit. Grounding the head unit right to the chassis solved the problem.

mike
Old 07-25-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
not necesarily... It's an 'urban myth' if you will of car audio. It may happen in 1% or so of all cases. But for the most part, it does not cause noise, especially not alternator whine.

in my experience, I'd say 50% of all alternator whine isses has to deal with the ground wire in the factory harness not sufficient for an aftermarkey head unit. Grounding the head unit right to the chassis solved the problem.

mike

i will have to try this, ive never heard of it before. i ran all new wires to all my speakers, and i still have a whine. ive tried 2 different "ground loop isolators" and niether worked worth a damn. i will let you all know what happens after i ground the headunit to the the chassis
Old 07-26-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to hijack but I've had an aftermarket system in my car for a year now with no whine/noise but I just installed a line lock and ever since I get the whine. Is it a bad ground on the line lock that's causing this?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio

mike
Expecialy with GM grounds from my experience.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a new head unit solved mine
Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Staging Lane

ive had a system in my car for 3+ yrs and never any whining. but my girlfriends 2000 cavalier is another story, you open the door andwhen you close it you get a wierd whining/buzzing/static noise for about 3 seconds then it goes away. when u change songs its like you hear the cd player change through the speakers you hear popping and buzzing. doesnt happen with the radio, only CD's and ive tryed BRAND a new amp, deck, subs, grounds, im lost on this one.

Quick Reply: whining sound in stereo when accelerating?