Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help selecting head unit (mp3 player) opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help selecting head unit (mp3 player) opinions wanted!

Well its time to upgrade the stereo in the car now that the performance mods are done for now.

I am going to build my stereo in sections and I am starting with the head unit. I currently have the monsoon 500 watt POS in the car with 12 disk changer. I would like to install a cd/mp3 player and replace the monsoon unit.

I am looking for cd/mp3 player that is performance oriented. I am not interested in displays and infact the less the better. I already have enough crap in the car blinking at me like SES codes, tach, and boost gauge. I would like the player to load tracks fast and quality sound output. I would also like to keep my steering wheel controls which I understand I will need a PAC II to do. I plan to replace the whole monsoon system, however; I am going easy on the bank account after the blower and engine work. Overall my plan is to put one 12 in the car powered by a separate amp that is removable for track days. All of the speakers will be replaced as well.

Please provide any information possible including your opinions and personal experiences.

Sincerely
Badz2801
Old 10-23-2002, 05:35 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Need help selecting head unit (mp3 player) opinions wanted!

first you need to look at your budget.

That will tell you what you can expect to get and whats available.

what are you looking to spend?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:30 PM
Teching In

JVC MP3 SD99 you can pick it up around 250 best bang for the buck. http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/jvc_head_units.html
Old 10-23-2002, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard the JVC before...its very nice but doesn't have a very good EQ.....look at the one i have a Pioneer Premier DEH-740MP....only gripe i have against it is there is an 8 sec delay b/t mp3 tracks....but u get used to it............i got mine from SimplyCheap.com for about $260
Old 10-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for your replies everyone. My budget on this item is somewhat unlimited (within reason). I have just spent a lot of money lately and I am not trying to dig into my account even more.

**** drives the net!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:46 PM
Launching!

if you doing the system piece by piece get a good head unit.

i would say a decent Mp3 unit with remote the Alpine Cda7894

decent price, Good internal amp and 3 sets of outputs.

Also is xm ready
Old 10-27-2002, 09:26 AM
Launching!

I will second the CDA-7894. My brother is looking for MPS capability and that is what he has decided on. If you are lucky you can get ahold of one for $375.
Jay
Old 10-27-2002, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Not to burst anyone's bubble....but the Alpine Cda7894 has all the features that the Priemer DEH-740Mp has (excluding the motorized faceplate for the alpine and the Oragnic EL display for the Priemer)Also the Priemer puts out 50watts x 4 without having to "boost" its power. When the alpine is boosted it draws 17volts from the batt and if ur running subs u are going to see mad light flicker.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by yogda:
<strong>I use the Rockford Fosgate RFX-9000
It has a red backlit display and the silver housing and chrome *** that matches my interior (perfectley) has mp3 playback and has great sound, not a top of the line brand but it looks awsome in my dash!!

my 2 cents</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i forgot to mention its motorized face is a nice feature and its price
Old 10-28-2002, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

I use the Rockford Fosgate RFX-9000
It has a red backlit display and the silver housing and chrome *** that matches my interior (perfectley) has mp3 playback and has great sound, not a top of the line brand but it looks awsome in my dash!!

my 2 cents