Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Can AC Controls Be Moved?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can AC Controls Be Moved?

1998 Camaro. I would like to move the AC controls to the center consol compartment. I’m adding a touch screen in place of stock HU. And would like to place an after market HU in the AC location. Would this be possible?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah kinda curious about that myself.. anyone?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

you would have to extend all the vacuum lines. i dont see why it wouldnt be.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

I've relocated my A/C controls, but to the glove compartment. I wanted to have mine in the center console, but there is no way to do it without extensive modification. Two of the controls are switches controlled by wires; those are easy enough to extend. The vent selector **** is vacuum controlled. That would be a little harder to extend, but do-able with some hose and fittings. The main problem is the temperature ****. That **** has a cable connected to the back of it. Think of it like a bicycle brake cable, or hood latch cable. This would be a bitch to extend, if able to do it at all. Relocating the controls to the glove box is easier because the cable and vacuum lines come from that side of the dash, and the wires are easily extended. Here are a few pics of my relocation:

Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Good Idea. Just wondering? What do you have in place of the ac controls. You have pics?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NICE JOB!!! Car PCs kick ****!!! I want to do one in my 87 so bad. If I had a glove box to mount my HVAC controls in Ide do it. That radio pod in my TA would be great to mount PC internals in if I could ditch the HVAC controls.

Awsome fab work on the car pc man...my hats off to you for such a nice clean install. Looks awsome!

Justin
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JRWONG
Good Idea. Just wondering? What do you have in place of the ac controls. You have pics?
Old 09-01-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Current wisdom says center console is not really workable with any solutions anyone has developed that we know about - but not many have tried. Snootch where was that big *** thread we had with JasonWV and that other guy that was kind of a pick up the ball from your install?

Some people aren't fans of the glove box idea (even if the execution was sweet), but if you don't use ac much its an option.

There are some simple explainations of why the vacuum lines and mechanical linkage to the blend door are not really movable as is, beyond about the glove box. That discussion happened elsewhere.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just relocated mine last night... no problems, works the same.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 7th Darkness
Just relocated mine last night... no problems, works the same.
Where did you put them?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I just happened to see this thread. I'm working on this right now on and off between other projects. Here is a big thread on several CarPC installs if your interested.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63949

There is talk about relocating the A/C controls as well. On LS1Tech we talked about it in Meissen's Project CarPC thread here starting on post #168.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=9&pp=20

Here's my last post on the MP3car thread.
Just an update, I had a talk with "narandomsortofw" about the temperature cables. He took it apart and the sheath was actually divided down the middle to keep the 2 cables from rubbing against one another. This is a bit different than what I thought. I ordered a cable from the dealer and should get it in a few days. I'll post up some pictures and I'll try and find an easy and reliable way to extend it.
I'm going to relocate my A/C controls somewhere, but I haven't decided where. I don't like reaching over to the glovebox all the time, so they will probably go into the center console.

The bottom line is that the electrical wires can be lengthened, the vaccum lines can be extended with rubber hoses (only 6 lines) and the temp selector cable can either be lengthened or replaced entirely with a gear reduction motor from a hobby shop and a rocker switch.

When my new cable gets in (special order part) I'll take it apart and show everyone. "narandomsortofw" even knows a place that custom made him a new stainless cable to fit his modded sheath although he has some bugs to work out.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

JasonWW, I was hoping you might see this. Great summary, btw.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lo_jack
JasonWW, I was hoping you might see this. Great summary, btw.
I've been spending all my time in other forums, so it's just a coincidense I saw this. I came over to post about motorizing the hatch and BAM, here was this thread.

My part didn't come in today, but when it does I'll post back. If the sheath has a metal liner I should be able to peel back the outer covering and then do the same to a bicycle brake cable sheath and then weld the 2 metal pieces together to lengthen it. The MIG should be able to do it without getting it too hot and melting he plastic. Then I would get some stainless cable from the hardware store, run it through and then add the heavy duty crimps. In theory it should work.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Man I have not seen a RF symmetry unit in forever they are the cats *** for tuning. I had one about 12 years ago. Your a/c relocation looks very well done.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

You talking about Snootches EPX2?
I had one as well for several years, but the real deal is the Alpine 701. I switched over and it blows the EPX2 away. I was trying to talk Snootch into one as well.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
You talking about Snootches EPX2?
I had one as well for several years, but the real deal is the Alpine 701. I switched over and it blows the EPX2 away. I was trying to talk Snootch into one as well.
That picture is a little old. Mt EPX2 died on me, and have mot replaced it yet. I have researched the 701, and I would really like to get one. I just don't have the funds right now. I have more important things to do to the car first.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I may know some guys who can fix it, let me get in touch with them and then let you know.

Or else they pop up on ebay from time to time for a pretty good price. I see one right now. It even has the DSP card, just pop your EQ card into it and roll.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I got the cable in. Go to post 112 for the pics:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...858#post927858
Old 09-29-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've got the new stainless 49 strand cable, new sheath and finally the right design for crimps to make everything fit right, work right and be strong. I'm finally confident it can be made and work very well for a long time. All the parts I thought would be the easiest to find were the hardest and what I thought would be the hardest to find were the easiest.

Anyone have any tips or parts ideas for extending the electrical or vacuum lines? I'm thinking they will be easy, but what do I know?

I'm finally going to put in that order for the 10.4" touch screen.

Once the new cable is all together and working I'll start a new thread on all the parts that work and don't work so you guys can have an easier time with it.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I finally did a write up of the relocation. It's not completely finished, but it gives you all the details and parts needed.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/597622-how-relocate-climate-controls-97-02-a.html