Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

jl audio stealth box

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jl audio stealth box

does anyone know where to get one of these at a decent price? its not the carpeted one like the mtx. its the hard plastic box. i want some better sound quailty over my monsoon. plus i hate the 12 disc changer. thanks guys
Old 09-10-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JL stuff is tough to find discounted. If you do find it it will nor be an authorized dealer as JL does not allow Inernet sales. There is one good place on line that is not authorized but they are not a sponsor. PM me and I'll tell you where I get my JL stuff.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

they have one at the local car audio shop here, box and sub for 399.00 but i can get a discounted price on it maybe. pm if youd like me to see how cheap i can get it.

thanks
Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

You can sometimes find the empty box on e-bay or in the classified section. I bought the box empty for $100 and then just bought the 10w3 seperate for $189. $289 is alot better than $400. Just my .02.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

thanks guys. anyone else might know?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a JL box with sub listed recently with an opening bid of 100 bucks. Thought I found the deal of the month. With 1 minute left no one had bid so I put a bid of 250 on it and someone must have had a snipe program working cause it immediatly went right above my bid. With 30 seconds left I figured I'd see how bad he wanted it and it finally went for 380! I'm now really glad I didn't get stuck with it for 375 which was my high bid.

You can get the 10W3V2 driver for 120 on ebay if you look. I got both mine there. I got the boxes elsewhere.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

i just bought the empty box from subthump then bought a 69 dollar RF punch from crutchfield and most people already think i have more than 1 ten in the trunk. i have maybe 180 in the entire project!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The place you bought your box ROCKS! But they are not a sponsor so be careful using their name on here as it will most likely get removed.

I'm a bit of an audio snob so I went JL. There are MUCH cheaper subs but you typically get what you pay for when it comes to drivers. The JL is a great deal at 120 bucks. At 250 list it is bending over and grabbing your ankles
Old 09-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Launching!

i have a loaded jl stealth box.if your interested PM me a offer.

here is a pic
Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give you the heads up all the stealth boxes sound the same. It's a matter of what sub you put in it and how you wire it. Do yourself a favor and save some money by getting another enclosure and using a JL sub. I have had the MTX, Vantage (which is an uncarpeted JL enclosure basically), and a subthump. They all sound the same. I currently run two stealth (vantage, subthump) boxes with JL 10W3V2 D4's that sound amazing and put down 144.6db. Spend your money on a good quality amp and a nice sub. The stealth enclosures are all the same.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have the plastic one your talking about not loaded, no carpet. i have no use for it anymore. pm me if you want more info.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Just to give you the heads up all the stealth boxes sound the same. It's a matter of what sub you put in it and how you wire it. Do yourself a favor and save some money by getting another enclosure and using a JL sub. I have had the MTX, Vantage (which is an uncarpeted JL enclosure basically), and a subthump. They all sound the same. I currently run two stealth (vantage, subthump) boxes with JL 10W3V2 D4's that sound amazing and put down 144.6db. Spend your money on a good quality amp and a nice sub.
Could not agree more. I know everyone has there personal favorites but I have been buying car subs for years and the JL's are the best I've found. They are not cheap but you can find deals on them from non authorized dealers if you look. Just verify the return policy. If a sub works when you get it you should be fine unless you fry it by sending distorted power to it in which case you would void the JL warranty from an authorized dealer anyway.

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
The stealth enclosures are all the same.
I don't agree that all enclosures are the same. Cheap plastic enclosures or enclosures made with anything thinner than 5/8's MDF will not be as rigid as a 5/8's or 3/4" MDF enclosure and will not sound as good. You need a good stiff enclosure for a sub. You also need to match the enclosures internal volume to the speakers ideal volume size.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The internal volume on any prefabbed stealth enclosure whether it is JL, MTX, Vantage, or subthump are .6-.75 cu. ft. which makes them all about the same. Unless you make one yourself. If that's the route chosen then to get more volume for an F-body stealth enclosure you must include part of the upper area where the rear speakers are to get the cu. ft. neccessary for a quality 12in. sub or utilize the spare tire area and make a really big stealth enclosure there. As for cheap plastic enclosures...the Vantage I have is plastic and sounds great. The MTX thunderform I had about the same thickness of plastic and also sounded fine. I've never owned a JL stealthbox so I cannot say. My subthump (passenger side) sounds great and does a great job but was a pain to get to fit in just the right spot. The others slid right in on the other side. I agree that 5/8 in. MDF is crap for an enclosure as I had a Q-logic custom fit (F-body) box that held 2 10in. subs that I was not impressed with. It looked great and fit nice but the 5/8 MDF buzzed a bit. Never had a problem with the others. I made 127 db with the plastic MTX enclosure using a 10in. Clarion sub and a RF amp. That's more than enough for most people...and sound quality was excellent.

Quick Reply: jl audio stealth box