Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Sound System Install Part 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Sound System Install Part 1

So I spent about 2 hours today preparing to put my new system in. Here are the items I have purchased...

200 sq feet of eDead v1 sound deadening
Alpine CDA9857 HU
HUmount
Subthump 10" Driver side stealth box
Subthump 10" Passenger side stealth box
Subthump extended amp rack
2-JL Audio 10W3v2
2-JL Audio 250/1 Class D amps
1-JL Audio 300/4 Class A/B amp
4-Infinity Kappa 62.7i speakers
Various lengths of 4 gauge wire, distribution blocks, 100 ft of 12 gauge speaker cable, 3 sets of 17' Helix interconnects, ring termainals, a circuit breaker etc....

Today I began by getting the entire interior out. It took about 2 hours in total using the service manual as my guide and with the assistance of a friend.

I plan to do the work over the next 2-3 months slowly. I work a lot and can really only work on the car on Saturday. It is not my daily driver so I can take my time and do it right. I hope to get it completed before winter sets in and I hibernate my car for the winter but we will see.

Here are some pictures I snapped after the interior was out.

And here is my interior in the basement...

Old 09-16-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Everyone seems to love that Alpine 9857. I put one in my sister's car (2000 T/A WS6) and I honestly don't find it that impressive...
Old 09-16-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Everyone seems to love that Alpine 9857. I put one in my sister's car (2000 T/A WS6) and I honestly don't find it that impressive...
Did you put a whole new system in or just the head unit? I must say that the 9857 gets rave reviews on car audio forums. I did a lot of research before buying it. I can understand not being impressed if you left the stock speakers and amp in place as they suck IMHO.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

You're right, stock everything else, but I was expecting at least a little improvement...
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent setup, you have got the right idea take your time and do it right thats what i did, it was worth it in the end u will love the overall sound when you replace all the factory crap and the sound deadening will help alot, keep us informed good luck!!!!!

Now would be a great time to go to the track!!!! Just sit on a milk crate
Old 09-17-2006, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TA Bandit
Excellent setup, you have got the right idea take your time and do it right thats what i did, it was worth it in the end u will love the overall sound when you replace all the factory crap and the sound deadening will help alot, keep us informed good luck!!!!!
Thanks Bandit! I replaced the speakers a few weeks ago and while it sounded better it still was not what I wanted so I figured I'd just do it up right. It will take me a couple of months at least but I'll picture document everything and post up at each phase. Next weekend is clean the hell out of the interior and start prepping for the eDead.

You're right, stock everything else, but I was expecting at least a little improvement...
I'm not surprised. The speakers are really not very good IMO. The 6.5" subs in the sail cannot be dialed it right at all. Either you have no bass or just thumping sloppy bass. Even if those were good sepakers the placement for subs is not ideal. The amp is pretty much low end too. Now for a factory system in an American car it is not all that bad but compared to after market it is not good and unless you replace the amp and speakers your not going to get much from the Alpine HU.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OHHH black leather interior!!! Il trade you for a grey leather while you got it out =)
Old 09-20-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Any way you could take some pictures to show clearances on how deep speakers can be, etc? I haven't ripped my car or my sister's car apart as far as that goes so it would be helpful if I know what I have to work with.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Launching!

How did you get the center console out?

When I did mine, I just refused to come out, I managed to do the wiring with it in place..
Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Center console is no biggie, you just have to get the light out of the ashtray, then get the bolts? out of the armrest/CD holder/etc. Just remove the coinholder first. I think that's it, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Yes, all that came out.. the issue was with the parking brake.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Ah, gotcha....
Old 09-21-2006, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

There are also 2 bolts all the way up front on each side. I have the service manual which made taking the console out a 5 minute job.

I will take some pictures of the speaker areas once those come out. They are still in place as you can see by the pictures.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

I too am interested in how this turns out. I am considering having this done to my car but it is my daily driver so I will have to get it done in a timely manner. I already have the CDA-9856 (not installed yet), and now I am looking at some alpine speakers for front and rear. I have not decided how to handle the sail panel subwoofers yet or the amp. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
I too am interested in how this turns out. I am considering having this done to my car but it is my daily driver so I will have to get it done in a timely manner. I already have the CDA-9856 (not installed yet), and now I am looking at some alpine speakers for front and rear. I have not decided how to handle the sail panel subwoofers yet or the amp. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Not too much progress this weekend. I was tired from the work week and while not hot the humidty was like 95% and me and humidty don't work well together. I also needed to push the car up in the garage cause I could not get to the back of the car (**** poor planning on my part) and blew my back out.

All I got done was to shop vac it out and use Simple Green to clean all surfaces. Next weekend I hope to get the majority of the eDead installed. At this point I'm wondering if I'll get it all done before I hibernate the car for the winter. I do have the week of Thanksgiving off so maybe I can complete it by then. Below is some pictures of all the gear I bought and is now waiting to be deployed....

Amp Rack..

HU and accessories....

HUmount...

Subwoofer Drivers...

Wiring...

Stealth box 1...

Stealth box 2...

Amp layout on rack....
Old 09-25-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GPz1100
Yes, all that came out.. the issue was with the parking brake.
Parking brake must be pulled all the way back. It must be in it's most upright position. The last stop is where I got mine too and the console slid right out over it. The service manual point that out and it made the job a piece of cake.

Any way you could take some pictures to show clearances on how deep speakers can be, etc? I haven't ripped my car or my sister's car apart as far as that goes so it would be helpful if I know what I have to work with.
I totally missed this question when you posted it. Sorry. I will measure the depth for you once the Kappa's come out for the eDead install. Probably over the next weekend.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

Where did you get the head unit mounting bracket? How much did it cost?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ExceSSive
Where did you get the head unit mounting bracket? How much did it cost?
72 bucks total. I can't give the url as they are not a sponsor but just add www to the name above and .com to the end and you'll get there
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

humount
Old 09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like Christmas time . The SubThump items look top notch and the Humount looks pimp. I should have not been so cheap and sprung for that unit. Oh well I can always put that on my next list of upgrades

I got some of the same components coming in the mail this week (head unit, Driver side stealth box and amp rack). I forgot the antenna extender though. Guess I am going to circuit city tomorrow.

Couple of quick questions
What is that PAC unit for?
Is that the extended amp rack? If so what is the width of the JL 300/4?

Keep us posted on the install.

Thanks