Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Put Subs or Amps in Back Seat or Have a Big System There?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You lose a good 3dB with them in the back seat as opposed to further back, but the SQ is still good.

Do you have your own bead roller? That work looks nice.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not into sound comp. so i dont heed it 2 be crazy loud
just want something that looks and sound clean

and yes i have a bead roller
thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I started watching this thread TWO years ago and the only pics still are ideas. If I were you, I would just get the **** installed in the t-top area and use the backseat for storage and don't worry about adding a gas tank or a set of wings or boat propellars, I'd be tired of all that crap after 2 years. But, I do have to give you props for stickin to it man, if you decide to keep doing it how you've planned i wish you luck.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slammed1500
not into sound comp. so i dont heed it 2 be crazy loud
just want something that looks and sound clean
I don't compete either, I just have high standards. I like my tunes loud and clear with tight bass and no distortion.

To give you an example, lets say you have a 500w amp. Running 2 tens in the back seat (250w x 2) should give you the same output as a single ten in the hatch area (500w x 1). If you know your not going to be cranking the subs close to their limit then 3dB is not that big a deal.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Damn I started watching this thread TWO years ago and the only pics still are ideas. If I were you, I would just get the **** installed in the t-top area and use the backseat for storage and don't worry about adding a gas tank or a set of wings or boat propellars, I'd be tired of all that crap after 2 years. But, I do have to give you props for stickin to it man, if you decide to keep doing it how you've planned i wish you luck.
My car is not running at the moment and most of the interior is stripped out. All the stereo gear is in the house as well. The car is paid for and I have a daily driver so its just a big toy to me. Cutting it up is fun and gives me something to do.

I started this thread just to post up cool systems to inspire others to do the same. It's not my build thread.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could build a box something like this with thick Plexiglas only directly above the subwoofer/s, so you can install, remove ,and view the sub/s in action!

Old 08-28-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You could build a box something like this with thick Plexiglas only directly above the subwoofer/s, so you can install, remove ,and view the sub/s in action!
I came up with that on 10-19-06. Post #11.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

I guess should of checked before I spent the time drawing it!..

IMO, you should still be able to get about the same DB output as rear mounted subs. So I guess this is where I say "Thanks" for the idea JasonWW !

Keep the ideas flowing, I alway enjoy reading your creative/informative threads!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I guess should of checked before I spent the time drawing it!..

IMO, you should still be able to get about the same DB output as rear mounted subs. So I guess this is where I say "Thanks" for the idea JasonWW !

Keep the ideas flowing, I alway enjoy reading your creative/informative threads!
Yeah, that would give you back the 3dB. It's not very efficient since you loose some hatch space, but it looks cool!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

looking good man, why did you want to go against a hatch box? im sure its been said but im worn out sorry.
i had a 15 with about 3.6 ft3 ported to 42 hz. it did amazing, i was only pushing about 500rms into it and it blew a few local systems out of the water lol. the whole setup weighed about 250-300 pounds though so i took it out, slowin me down lol. right now im getting ready to build a ported 12 that goes in the spare tire well. im going to put a sealed 12 in the other side hopefully, i havent mocked it up yet.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
looking good man, why did you want to go against a hatch box? im sure its been said but im worn out sorry.
i had a 15 with about 3.6 ft3 ported to 42 hz. it did amazing, i was only pushing about 500rms into it and it blew a few local systems out of the water lol. the whole setup weighed about 250-300 pounds though so i took it out, slowin me down lol. right now im getting ready to build a ported 12 that goes in the spare tire well. im going to put a sealed 12 in the other side hopefully, i havent mocked it up yet.
How much air space for the ported 12" sub?
Post some pictures of you build, I'm sure a lot a members would like to see it!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

How much air space for the ported 12" sub?
Post some pictures of you build, I'm sure a lot a members would like to see it!
It's going to vary from sub model to model. Each one should come with paperwork showing the sizes needed for the main chamber as well as the port volume to achieve a certain tuned frequency. Output below that frequency drops like a rock. Cabin gain has to be factored in as well.

For instance, a 42Hz tuned port will sound great with a lot of music types, but you won't hear those 30, 20 or 15Hz notes that I like so much. I sometimes just sit with the engine off and check out new material with a lot of dynamic range. If you only listen to "radio" music like rock, rap, country, etc... while driving down the road, then you won't really miss those real low bass notes.

Ported boxes are typically about double the size of a sealed box. So maybe 2cu. ft.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
right now im getting ready to build a ported 12 that goes in the spare tire well. im going to put a sealed 12 in the other side hopefully.
That's not recommended due to both boxes having different frequency responses. You may get a muddy or distorted sound from them or there may be some cancellation. I would say either do the one ported, the one sealed or both sealed.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Teching In

I recommend u go with one 15" with a ported box..imo... but if u want more go with 4 12"kickers l7s...2 behind the seat and 2 in the storage and you ll be heard...
Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i know this thread is pretty old, but if your anything like me, you check back on it, and look at the pics and read up and what people have mentioned. Anyway, i didnt see it, but i only browssed through so im not sure if this link was given already... http://www.fbodyaudio.com/gallery2/main.php any one of his systems would be awesome, but i love the one with the subs directly behind the seats. i know you probably dont get teh best sound quality, but it looks freakin awesome!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69lemansguy
i didnt see it, but i only browssed through so im not sure if this link was given already... http://www.fbodyaudio.com/gallery2/main.php any one of his systems would be awesome, but i love the one with the subs directly behind the seats. i know you probably dont get teh best sound quality, but it looks freakin awesome!
That is DJSexay's car. I'm sure I put some of his pics in here somewhere.

In case you were interested, having the subs fir into the rear seat like that gives really good sound quality. The only downside is you lose a lot of max output in comparison to the subs being way in the back and firing up.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

dont know if im going with 10's or 12's
im going 2 put them where the back set was
and them re-make the side panels 2 close it out

Slammed1500 has been working on his system as well. I'll post some of his current pics

ive been workin on the interior

i do
i just thought nobody wanted 2 see them lol

trim ring made

rear trim panel being framed up

glassed

cut out

side panel being glassed

trimmed out

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-14-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ah, i see what your saying. Its been awhile since ive checked on this thread, and i cant see the pics you have posted here at work. So its very possible you have posted in here sometime before. Id love to do soemthing like that eventually, and i lvoe reading up on what people have done with our cars. Unfortunately nothing like that will be on my plate for awhile.
Sidenote: love the creative stuff you have come up with for our cars. people thinking outside the box is what keeps this industry going. If everyonejust did the norm, we would all own mustangs, lol.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

side panel

trim ring 4 the air tank

the tank

Old 05-14-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, he's doing the dash, too.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-14-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone Put Subs or Amps in Back Seat or Have a Big System There?