Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kappa 62.7i's installed, have a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kappa 62.7i's installed, have a question

Hi guys

I just installed 4 Infinity Kappa 62.7i's, two in the front doors and 2 in the sail panels. I also just installed a Pioneer 5800MP Head Unit. Overall, I think the sound is very good, a step up in SQ from the Monsoon. However, I had a question about the rear sail panels. It seems they are not as loud as the fronts; not even close. They seem really bright too- the treble definetly outweighs the bass. When I fade to the back there is a HUGE difference in sound, and its not half as loud or as quality as the fronts.

I'm not sure why this would be. When I wired them, I used the wires to the sail panels as the woofer on the Kappas, and the wires from the rear hatch speakers as the tweeter on the Kappas. The tweeter sounds great, its just its really lacking midbass and any sort of "punch" to the woofer. I don't know if its just that I'm used to the "boominess" of the stock sail panel speakers, but something just doesnt seem right. I checked all my connections and everything is fine- wired correctly and tightly.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone have any suggestions for what to look for? Is it possible the gain on the factory amp is set to be lower on the sail panels, and I juts never noticed it before becuase it was previously just bass and now its full range?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have just pulled the wires from the hatch back and used the Infinity cross over to the Kappa's. All the sail panel drivers get is bass no midrange so you are losing a lot of frequecies. You're also sending a full range signal to the tweets if I'm understanding the way you wired them and that will blow them. Did you connect those to the crossover before going right to the Infinity's?

Do not use the sail panel connectors at all just use the conectors from the speakers in the hatch as they get a full range signal. Then let the Infinty cross over do it's job. I also found the Infinity's too bright for my taste and I had them wired correctly.

Oh, and even when they are wired correctly you won't get too much bass. You need to add a sub for that. The bass you were getting before was just sloppy muddy bass. You system will sound better once wired correctly but you will not get a good bit of bass.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

1.) Mike's warning about the tweeter is a good one. You need to have a crossover on that tweeter to protect it.

2.) The bass output should be at least comparable front to back. Is there any chance you switched +/- on one of the speakers? Because that would kill it.

Do this to check; use your balance control and set it all the way left then all the way right. The sound should be the same. If the bass is clearly strong one side vs. the other then likely you have the +/- swapped on the weaker sounding side rear speaker.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Launching!

wow, thanks for the quick advice.

I checked the polarity multiple times and it is correct. When faded all the way to the back, the right and left soun ds exactly the same- neither sound good

I didnt realize that I need to bypass the amp in the back- Correct me if Im wrong, but if I use the signal from the hatch speakers into the infinity crossovers then I am effectivly powering the rear sail speakers as full range off the head units power, correct? I thought the amp would be better for the bass, no? I thought the whole point of getting 2 ohm sail panels was to use the stock monsoon amp? I didnt realize that wire was full range going to the hatch, I thought it was crossovered only for highs.

I'm gonna rewire this tomorrow morning using the infinity crossover and see what happens.... thanks guys!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Launching!

ohh and yes, I realize I wont get ground pounding bass from these. I plan a sub in the future...subthump with the ED 10 on a nice 400 watt mono amp.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hatch speakers get a full range signal. I'm not sure whether that signal comes from the HU or the amp but it is a full range signal even though those 4" drivers have NO chance or reproducing a full range sound. You need to pull the hatch wires back to the sail panel location and then attach those 2 wires to the Infinity cross over and then plug the 4 wires coming out of the xover into the Infinity sail speakers. You are still going to get very bright sound as those tweeters are very close to your ears. Closer than the tweets in the door. Make sure you set those tweets to 0db and NOT +3db. I would also advise pointing those away from your ears. That should tone them down a bit. You'll also need to fade so that the fronts are louder or the sails will overpower the fronts. It will then sound better than it does now if you have not already blown the tweets in the sail panel speakers. Those cannot take any midrange or bass signals before frying. I hope they are OK for you...
Old 10-28-2006, 07:28 PM
Launching!

I just went and rewired them. That is definetley a huge improvement. They are ALOT louder, and not as bright. Nice improvement over the Monsoon. Gotta break the speakers in before giving it alot but damn the sound is good.

Thanks for all your help, LS1tech rules!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

You dont need rear speakers
you shouldnt hear them with front speakers in, they are just there for fill so that your rear seat passengers arent straining to hear the music.
Crossover on the tweets is critical. Get an amp for your front soundstage, if you insist on keeping your sail panels than just use the headunit for power.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Launching!

The highs are pretty decent right now so I dont think I am goiing to amp the front or rear speakers. I just need to add a sub fro that extra thump.

I feel like such a dumb Newb wiring it like that, I'm usually really good with audio stuff and install stuff reguarly for friends...guess I just needed to do more research.

EDIT WOOT 200 Posts Launching!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 AM
Teching In

So - Big C
Explain to me what you ended up doing to the sail panels using the 62.7i?
I just replaced my door speakers with these speakers and they sound great in comparison with the stock speakers. I was thinking about doing something in the sails to 'spark it up' a little, but didn't know which way to go as far as speakers back there.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Well, in all honesty I kinda think the stock ones sounded better. The infinities are nice but too bring for my taste. As much as I hate it I kinda liked the sloppy bass of the old system, boomy but enjoyable.

Im sure i will like the infinities mroe once I get a 5 channel amp and a 10" subthump
Old 11-15-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Resident

I would not waste any money powering them. I have a four channel amp powering mine, and they simply hurt my ears. I have listened to good speakers, not sure what you would call these though???
Old 11-15-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Kappas have always been excellent at high to high-mid and not the best on bass.

If your PNR deck has the advanced EQ functions, I would LPF your full ranges to at least 80, definately 125 and get a 10" and throw it in the back on it's own amp and let it deal with 150 or so down.

I ran infinities for years in my explorer, and had best results when I let them concentrate on what they did best - highs. They were nearly indestructible when it came to highs, but the woofer cones eventually warped and the surrounds distorted - because I did not have them low passed all the time (when my subs got boosted). Mind you that was after 5 or more years of windows down highway cruising at high volume. But most people will agree the kappa is geared for high freq.

Even the components I would low pass at 80 and get a 10 to come in at 125 and down. The mid I find on kappas is good to about 250, but extended romping on 500 or so will start to affect them. Tweets will still be magic though, at any power from 2-nearly 100 rms, and that is why I got them. Mid to high. Get a sub for the rest.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BiggCmass
Well, in all honesty I kinda think the stock ones sounded better. The infinities are nice but too bring for my taste. As much as I hate it I kinda liked the sloppy bass of the old system, boomy but enjoyable.

Im sure i will like the infinities mroe once I get a 5 channel amp and a 10" subthump
I sold my Kappa's for the same reason. Way too bright. the cut right into my brain. I went with Focals instead.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:22 AM
TECH Resident

Kappas have always been excellent at high to high-mid and not the best on bass.

If your PNR deck has the advanced EQ functions, I would LPF your full ranges to at least 80, definately 125 and get a 10" and throw it in the back on it's own amp and let it deal with 150 or so down.

I ran infinities for years in my explorer, and had best results when I let them concentrate on what they did best - highs. They were nearly indestructible when it came to highs, but the woofer cones eventually warped and the surrounds distorted - because I did not have them low passed all the time (when my subs got boosted). Mind you that was after 5 or more years of windows down highway cruising at high volume. But most people will agree the kappa is geared for high freq.

Even the components I would low pass at 80 and get a 10 to come in at 125 and down. The mid I find on kappas is good to about 250, but extended romping on 500 or so will start to affect them. Tweets will still be magic though, at any power from 2-nearly 100 rms, and that is why I got them. Mid to high. Get a sub for the rest.
Well I guess my bitch is then, why did infinity even include a mid range driver with the two ways or components I have, if all the speakers are good for is treble. It seems the 6.5" driver is just for show then? I mean according to Infinity's web site these speakers are suppose to be good down to 35Hz or so.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Resident

I sold my Kappa's for the same reason. Way too bright. the cut right into my brain. I went with Focals instead.
pm sent your way
Old 11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heading to your thread for reply.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

i had to get 2 subs when i got my infinities. they were very...bright you could say and the speaker did sound better when i turned off the bass, lit up the treble and turned up the subs. then it all became even.