Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

dual vs single voice coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual vs single voice coil

I'm gonna be running one ten in a stealth box. What will give me better performance and why, a dual or single voice coil sub? I listen to all types of music. Thanks for any input.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

depends on your amp really. DVC's let u wire for different ohm configurations and usually are in higher powered subwoofers. "enables u to get more power out amp easier. As for sound quality they are the same. If u go to rockfordfosgate.com under there sub/amp installation relating to svc or dvc hook ups it will probably shine a little more light on your situation.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go dual voice coil. It gives you more options. I've never seen a mid to high end sub without dual voice coils. Different ohm resistance on the coils but always two coils. I highly recommend 2 4 ohm coils as a starting point bridged down to a 2 ohm load assuming your amp can handle a 2 ohm load. Most decent amps will with no problem. You can make a 10in. sub in a stealth box sound incredible and put down a decent SPL if you use good equipment. PM me if you want more help, I've had all kinds of combinations with stealth enclosures and 10in. subs.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

IROC85BLU has it right. Dual VC subs are just more versatile, allowing you more wiring options. The purpose of this versitility is matching the load of the drivers to your amplifier. Most 2 channel amps are NOT 2ohm stable in bridged (mono) mode. Most (if not all, you don't want it if it isn't) monoblock amplifiers are 2 ohm stable, and the good ones are stable into 1ohm and below. The audible differences are negligable.

Also, there are high end subs that are single VC, and crap that is dual VC, so that feature is not necessarily an indicator of overall quality.

If you plan to use a single sub and a 2 channel amp, dual 2 ohm or single 4 ohm is your best bet. If you plan to use a single sub with a monoblock, you will want a dual 4 ohm sub (unless you really want to run a 1ohm load then you want dual 2 ohm). If you want to run 2 subs on a stereo amp you will want dual 4 ohm. on a monoblock you will want dual 2 ohm or single 4 ohm.

As you can see from the above, it really just depends on what amp you plan to use.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the slam TA guy !! I assumed he'd be using a mono block amp of good quality hence the recommendation for a dual 4ohm sub which is what you recommended as well and seems to be a common choice. I have used several 2 channel amps that were 2 ohm stable as well. I am fully aware that there are high end subs with single voice coils but almost nobody using them. I am also fully aware that there are cheap subs with dvc's as well. Most of the higher quality subs use dvc do they not??!! Just because Pyle has a dvc sub doesn't mean I'd go run out and get one of their subs however!! Anyway, I know to keep my mouth shut on these forums from now on!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Thanks for the slam TA guy !! I assumed he'd be using a mono block amp of good quality hence the recommendation for a dual 4ohm sub which is what you recommended as well and seems to be a common choice. I have used several 2 channel amps that were 2 ohm stable as well. I am fully aware that there are high end subs with single voice coils but almost nobody using them. I am also fully aware that there are cheap subs with dvc's as well. Most of the higher quality subs use dvc do they not??!! Just because Pyle has a dvc sub doesn't mean I'd go run out and get one of their subs however!! Anyway, I know to keep my mouth shut on these forums from now on!
Wow! Someone sure has a thin skin. Chill man - he wasn't dissing you, just clarifying some points.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Sorry if it was worded poorly, definitely not meant as a slam, I was just trying to clarify the issue. Your post could easily have been misinterpreted by someone new to car audio. I was just trying to help.

Last edited by TA guy; 11-29-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

yeah, +1 for badass subs with svc's. -1 for spending 600 dollars

Quick Reply: dual vs single voice coil