Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: Infinity Perfect 10.1 or ED Ov series 10"?
Infinity Perfect 10.1
40.00%
Elemental Design Ov series 10"
60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Infinity Perfect 10.1 Or ED OV series 10"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Perfect 10.1 Or ED OV series 10"?

just a quick poll... it's going in a subthump driver's side stealth. So what do you guys think or recommend? I've never heard the ED's but have heard nothing but good things about them. I've personally heard the Perfect 10's and they impressed me. Which will give me the cleanest hardest hitting bass assuming no matter which I get, it's driven at it's exact rms rating?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya need to have a great amp to drive that subwoofer too...
I was trying to figure that out as well, I ended up going crazy and bought the stealthbox separately, then bought that Alpine SWR1022D, 10" speaker running at 500w-1500wRMS@2ohms, got the speaker thru ebay for $103.00 shipped!!!

I was told by some audio fanatics that the BEST way to set up a great system is to buy amps that push a lot more power, set it @50% of power, then find the speakers that will match the 50% RMS of the amp that you buy, if you do that then you'll be BANGIN'!!!

I have heard nothing of the speakers that you are inquiring about, I was looking at the Infinity's originally, but I also checked MDX and Kicker and Alpine and ED, decided that the Alpine 10" was the best way to go for me.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

how does the alpine r sound in the subthump box?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

eD. Good company, great products. They had some issues a while back that, as far as I know, got ironed out.

Infinity is good, but nothing special. The eD should sound better.

It is a better idea to buy an amp that will produce more power than you need. It's called headroom. It'll alow you to dial the gain back, which in turn decreases THD and overall load on the amp. With an amp's gain cranked, you can very easily send a clipped signal to a sub and fry it before you know what's happened.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dirtyblackhoe
how does the alpine r sound in the subthump box?
Alpine Type R subs are, surprisingly enough for the price, quite good subs. The offer an SQL level that few subs in the same price range can match, and the Type Rs outclass even some more expensive subs. For $100, they're very hard to beat.

As far as the box, you'll be leaving both quality and volume on the table without a box built specifically for the specs of the vehicle and the driver in question. However, given that the box is sealed and relatively close to the volume required for the sub (if possible, buy a larger-volume box, and simply decrease the volume of the box by adding something like pieces of 2x4 until you have the volume you need).
Old 12-31-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element
eD. Good company, great products. They had some issues a while back that, as far as I know, got ironed out.

Infinity is good, but nothing special. The eD should sound better.

It is a better idea to buy an amp that will produce more power than you need. It's called headroom. It'll alow you to dial the gain back, which in turn decreases THD and overall load on the amp. With an amp's gain cranked, you can very easily send a clipped signal to a sub and fry it before you know what's happened.
That's what I did!!!
Old 12-31-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Element
Alpine Type R subs are, surprisingly enough for the price, quite good subs. The offer an SQL level that few subs in the same price range can match, and the Type Rs outclass even some more expensive subs. For $100, they're very hard to beat.

As far as the box, you'll be leaving both quality and volume on the table without a box built specifically for the specs of the vehicle and the driver in question. However, given that the box is sealed and relatively close to the volume required for the sub (if possible, buy a larger-volume box, and simply decrease the volume of the box by adding something like pieces of 2x4 until you have the volume you need).
I was told the same thing too re: boxes...

Subthump stealth box is @.60 volume, that Type R 10" sub I got needs .64 of space, so I'll let you know how it sounds when I install it...
Old 12-31-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
I was told the same thing too re: boxes...

Subthump stealth box is @.60 volume, that Type R 10" sub I got needs .64 of space, so I'll let you know how it sounds when I install it...
That's plenty close enough. Probably won't notice a difference between that and a box that does have 0.64cuft of space. If you want, you can get some polyfill and stuff some into the box.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

well I have the drivers side thump stealthbox and I am going with one of the following subs I think...Opinions and suggestions welcome
1. JL Audio w3v3
2. Alpine Type R
3. Infinity Perfect (can get one free)
4. Kicker L5
Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

If its any help. I have two alpine type-r 10"s. I havent installed them yet, but I did my research and from what I physically heard.. best bang for the buck.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

well I have the drivers side thump stealthbox and I am going with one of the following subs I think...Opinions and suggestions welcome
1. JL Audio w3v3
2. Alpine Type R
4. Kicker L5
I tried to find the Kicker L5 with a search, only found the Kicker Solo-Baric S10L52, is that the one that your're talking about???

And I actually wonder if a square sub actually does move more air compared to the round subs...:hmm:
Old 12-31-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

1. JL Audio w3v3
2. Alpine Type R
4. Kicker L5
The order in which you have them. Kicker has never, not once, impressed me with anything but raw output, and that was only with an L7 in a BIG box.

The JL, while overhyped, is a good sub. Just remember that unless a JL-cert tech installs it, the warranty is void.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Teching In

I am currently looking also, has anyone had any experience with the Kicker Comp VR10 in one of the stealth boxes? I had a shop recommend it, but they admitted not having much F-body experience.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faze
I am currently looking also, has anyone had any experience with the Kicker Comp VR10 in one of the stealth boxes? I had a shop recommend it, but they admitted not having much F-body experience.
Those subs are alright, but really nothing special that you can't get out of other subs. :shrug: For the listed retail price, I'd step up to a Type R. Only about a $20 difference, and the Type R is really the benchmark sub for that price range, among common-name brands.

You could also go with an Image Dynamics IDQ, Resonant Engineering RE or SE series, or an Adire Koda.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a type R in a stealthbox, granted its not installed yet, but i know that that sub is one of the best on the market today. So much so that one of the car audio forums has a HUGE sticky just on them.

AS far as box size goes, I've heard something but one of yall might be able to confirm it. There has been something said about adding a cotton like filling to the inside of the box, It supposedly makes the sub "think" its in a bigger enclosure. Dont know for sure, but i think the JL boxes come with something like that alreadey in. If anybody had experience with that, say so please
Old 01-21-2007, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

well i have a mtx thunderform thats like a molded plastic box with a new version alpine typr r dvc with the ribed suround and a 350 watt alpine sub amp.
i got the box and lined it with poly fill and it sounds great.
i dont like the eb brand at all.
i ordered a box from subthump and i was the avalanche mid gate box that goes behind the seats and i came with a set of thin mount subs and they sucked ***.
so i sent it all back and got a underseat box with 2 memphis pr 10's and it sound pretty good.
i wouls stay away from the ed stuff just my 0.2
you can even go with a memphis m1 that will sound good and there like 150 or so
Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

by the way the box stuffing realy make a huge differance
Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by shaun
by the way the box stuffing realy make a huge differance

:hmm:

Quick Reply: Infinity Perfect 10.1 Or ED OV series 10"?