Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My horn doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My horn doesnt work

A while back my horn stopped working and then one day, i spun out, hit an embankment on the side of the road, the car hopped up in the air and landed...

after that impact, the horn worked a few times then failed again which i thought was real weird that crashing would make something work. Anyway, my question is this..

someone told me that water can sometimes build up in the horn and make it stop working somehow and if you take your horn out, you could shake it up nice and good to get all the water out, and it'll start working again. Is this at all true or should i start looking around for a new horn?

Sorry if thats a stupid question, i know pretty much dont know anything about anything. But i do know how to use the search, no results
Old 12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

go to the horn and try wiggling around the connector, sounds like a bad connection from the crash hitting it and making it work again for a few times.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

ill try, thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by reject
go to the horn and try wiggling around the connector, sounds like a bad connection from the crash hitting it and making it work again for a few times.
i'm kinda embarrassed to even ask this, but where is the horn
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

3 words for you: "Haynes Repair Manual". They sell at all major auto parts stores for roughly $15-$20.

Until then, here are the steps for finding/replacing your horn:

1. Remove the air deflector from the bumper cover

2. Unplug the electrical connector from the horn (I believe it is on the right hand side of the car, and it is black with a connector attached to it).

3. To test the horn, have someone sound it from above. If it doesn't sound, test it with an ammeter - it should be around 5 Amps.

a. If it is above 20 amps, replace the horn
b. If it is around 18 amps or below, the contact points are not open. Turn the adjustment screw counterclockwise 1/4 turn to lower the amperage until the proper level is reached.

4. If the horn doesn't sound at all, it could mean the problem lies in the switch, relay, the wiring, open points, or fuse. Turn the adjustment screw CLOCKWISE 1/4 turn at a time to get the amperage up to 5 Amps.

5. To replace the horn, unplug the electrical connector and remove the bracket bolt.

Whew! That was a lot of typing. I hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

No problem.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amps or Ohms?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not how you use an ammeter... An ammeter has as low resistance as possible and will pull as much current as it can. It's not just going to tell you how much current that circuit would be getting.