Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

subs toward floor or hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subs toward floor or hatch?

Whats the recommended way to face your 12's toward the floor or turned up facing the hatch window.I have a box that fits like **** but when it faces down to the floor it seems to hit a little harder.I'm building a new one and need help deciding which way would sound better.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe it depends on the type of bass you want. towards the floor is deeper I think, and the hatch is louder. I don't remember. Generally people go towards the hatch.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Default ..

i would fire the towards the hatch..
Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

i have two jl 12inw3v2's in a box custom made to sit right on top of the shelf and all you have to do is bolt it in where those tie down hooks where...i paid around 1000 for it new are you intrested its about 6months old.

it POUNDS....BIG TIME..
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i think the hatch is best. that way you can see the subs too
Old 12-12-2006, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

to the hatch
Old 12-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Teching In

To the hatch definately. The bass will bounce off of the glass and it just looks more classy in my opinion.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

you are all 100% wrong. There are certain frequencies that the humnan ear can only hear from farther away, therefore facing the subs away from you will not only make them further away, but the sounds will have to travel away from you, bounce off the floor or back of the car, then come back which makes them even further away, resulting in the best sounding bass possible for your setup.

Also, glass will not resonate sound like body panels will, it will just direct the sound in a different direction. so you never want subs facing the glass.

So, once again, face the subs away for you for the best sound, only face them towards the glass if youa re enting a looks competition, might as well unplug them too.

-Scott
Old 12-14-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

how in the heck to you not face the subs towards the glass in these cars? I would be really interested in seeing that..
Old 12-14-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to the hatch definately.....
Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Koncrete
how in the heck to you not face the subs towards the glass in these cars? I would be really interested in seeing that..

i have pics..
Old 12-15-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

care to post?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

ya i will later today
Old 12-15-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sk8runeg
you are all 100% wrong. There are certain frequencies that the humnan ear can only hear from farther away, therefore facing the subs away from you will not only make them further away, but the sounds will have to travel away from you, bounce off the floor or back of the car, then come back which makes them even further away, resulting in the best sounding bass possible for your setup.

Also, glass will not resonate sound like body panels will, it will just direct the sound in a different direction. so you never want subs facing the glass.

So, once again, face the subs away for you for the best sound, only face them towards the glass if youa re enting a looks competition, might as well unplug them too.

-Scott

A 20 hz wavelength is 51 ft. long. Facing the subs down will hardly help you at all with super low frequencies. You will sacrifice volume across all frequencies by facing the subs away just to gain a SLIGHT bit down wayyyy low.

And bass is non-directional, so how can bouncing it off the window be wrong?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

haha im just waiting for another poster to jump in and talk crap......buuuuuut.....facing subs is different in all vehicles.....generally for most subs if you face the subs towards the driver you hear more noise than sound quality/bass because it is open to the atmosphere you are in and those sound waves are just going out straight......when they have to bounce off soemthing first where you hear the waves being bounced from behind it sounds better/cleaner because you dont hear the actualy distortion you hear from the speaker you just hear the resonance of bass. facing them towards the hatch isnt necessarily bad in a fbody.....thats the way im doing mine in a custom fiberglass ported box....but im also going for looks. the lower the sub is in the hatch the louder it will sound....if you stuck a sub in a single cab truck box on top of your gas tank facing the glass it would sound like crap. but if you got a box (preferably ported) and sunk it down in the t-top holder area facing up it would be loudest in that position in that perticular car. because it has to come out of a cubby up into the hatch area and then to the drivers area. plus you dont get all the rattle of having it way up right by the hatch. in my old t/a i has a custom ported box with a huuuge 10 in it sunk down in the t-top area and it hit very loud and had great sound quality and didnt rattle. my new box is going to be 1 JL W7 10" in a ported box sunk down but flushed in to where its lower but about level with everything. and i know it slams because i already built that setup in a customers 2000 firebird. sounded good.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

towards the hatch will sound best.
try both and you will see.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96TransAmM6
haha im just waiting for another poster to jump in and talk crap......buuuuuut.....facing subs is different in all vehicles.....generally for most subs if you face the subs towards the driver you hear more noise than sound quality/bass because it is open to the atmosphere you are in and those sound waves are just going out straight......when they have to bounce off soemthing first where you hear the waves being bounced from behind it sounds better/cleaner because you dont hear the actualy distortion you hear from the speaker you just hear the resonance of bass. facing them towards the hatch isnt necessarily bad in a fbody.....thats the way im doing mine in a custom fiberglass ported box....but im also going for looks. the lower the sub is in the hatch the louder it will sound....if you stuck a sub in a single cab truck box on top of your gas tank facing the glass it would sound like crap. but if you got a box (preferably ported) and sunk it down in the t-top holder area facing up it would be loudest in that position in that perticular car. because it has to come out of a cubby up into the hatch area and then to the drivers area. plus you dont get all the rattle of having it way up right by the hatch. in my old t/a i has a custom ported box with a huuuge 10 in it sunk down in the t-top area and it hit very loud and had great sound quality and didnt rattle. my new box is going to be 1 JL W7 10" in a ported box sunk down but flushed in to where its lower but about level with everything. and i know it slams because i already built that setup in a customers 2000 firebird. sounded good.

if your hearing noise and distortion you need to get a better sub/box...

I never heard distortion out of mine
Old 12-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Years ago when I had my Gen III, I had a show car for Sony Autosound. I had 4 8's all run exactly parallel to the back glass. It made a great bass reflex...ofcourse the back glass was much bigger and flatter back then but I would definately go with this still if weight wasn't a concern.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

towards the glass.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

i forgot about the pics i will post them tonight.