Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo Equipment on Ebay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Equipment on Ebay?

Has anyone bought their stereo equipment on ebay? I found the headunit I'm looking for on ebay and it's a lot cheaper than I can get it locally. Feedback from the vendors are really good but I don't know If I want to buy something like this on ebay. Just wondering if anyone has bought anything like a headunit on ebay and how it all worked out
Old 12-25-2006, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

I bought my 500/1 off ebay and I had no problems at all. I usually stick to buying only from ebay stores that have good feedback
Old 12-25-2006, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

I just bought two complete systems, using ebay heavily. In hindsight, though I saved a lot of money up front (typically 40-60 dollars each on the head units over Crutchfield), I then had to buy the wiring harness/install kit/etc that Crutchfield includes. Pretty much it would have evened out, and they also include wiring diagrams and installation instructions that are vehicle specific. If I had it to do over again, I probably would spend the extra couple of dollars and get it all in one transaction. Some of the other guys I used were millionbuy.com and etronics, both of which shipped fast and accurately, I was satisfied with all of 'em.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

The headunit I want is $100 more in Crutchfield. I looked at shipping and I think I still come out a lot cheaper even after I buy my wiring harness. I wasn't going to use the install kit from crutchfield so no loss there.

The stores I looked at on ebay all have pretty close to 100% possitive feed back
Old 12-25-2006, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I bought my subs, amp, head unit, and door speakers brand new off ebay. Very happy with all them.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my head unit and speakers on ebay at a considerable savings. I bought the wiring adapter and the antenna adapter from Crutchfield. I installed it myself after some input from some of the experts here on LS1tech and it worked out great and sounds fantastic..I'd shop on ebay anytime..I saved over two hundred dollars.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will buy things like speakers on Ebay but nothing with lots of moving parts like HU's. I have bought grey market amps from internet stores but again with HU's I stick with a known store like Crutchfield so if I have an issue 3 months down the line they will take care of it. My theory with Ebay is if it something with non moving parts or something that I can test right away and be assured that it is working (like subwoofers) then I will buy from them if not I stick with main stream.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With me it has to be brand new in the box or I am not interested. No used stuff on ebay for me..
Old 12-27-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buying used is a bit of a gamble sometimes. Make sure to ask for no DOA and at least 30day warranty. New, you shouldn't have any problem
Old 12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought so much car audio stuff off of ebay I can't even list it all. I have bought both new and used equipment and NEVER had a problem with any of it. I had a used Clarion MP3 HU for 2 years...new was $399.00(Crutchfield), ebay used $100.00. No issues, worked as new. Subs, speakers, amps, sound deadener, wiring kits, you name it I've bought it and will always go to ebay first. You have lower overhead when you don't have a store to pay for and stock to keep. I have been to wholesale car audio places where these guys buy the stuff they sell. You'd SH!$ if you saw how much it actually costs vs. what you pay for it retail. Ebay stores are always cheaper. I just picked up a Roadie XM car package from ebay that came with everything...Brandsmart wanted $59.00....ebay was $27.00 shipped new. Crutchfield is way overpriced IMO. I know they have a better return policy but I've never had to return any of the stuff I've purchased.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

One thing to keep in mind with eBay is that many of the electronics products that are significantly cheaper than anywhere else are actually "gray market". That's product that is imported from overseas (where it's much cheaper) by an unauthorized retailer. It's not illegal, or even dishonest as long as they tell you, but some manufacturers won't honor warranties for gray market products. In fact, some manufacturers won't repair gray market products even if you offer to pay for the repairs. Other problems can include manuals not in English and radios that operate on different bands (e.g. European FM radios tune at .1 intervals instead of the .2 intervals used in the USA).

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy on eBay - just that you should be cautious and sceptical of deals that seem too good.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I buy something it's always new. I've bought a few used items here and there and I seem to always get the items that last just a few months. I'll never do it again.

I think I'm going to order the HU off ebay. It's so much cheaper and I even get the XM equipment.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
One thing to keep in mind with eBay is that many of the electronics products that are significantly cheaper than anywhere else are actually "gray market". That's product that is imported from overseas (where it's much cheaper) by an unauthorized retailer. It's not illegal, or even dishonest as long as they tell you, but some manufacturers won't honor warranties for gray market products. In fact, some manufacturers won't repair gray market products even if you offer to pay for the repairs. Other problems can include manuals not in English and radios that operate on different bands (e.g. European FM radios tune at .1 intervals instead of the .2 intervals used in the USA).

That doesn't mean you shouldn't buy on eBay - just that you should be cautious and sceptical of deals that seem too good.
I'm not sure I agree with "That's a product that is imported from overseas". Most times it is just product not sold by an authorized retailer but is the exact same product that would be sold by an authorized retailer.

The term "grey market" simply refers to items sold by anyone not authorized by the manufacturer to sell their goods. It is a way some manufacturers enforce "price fixing" on thier products and build in nice high profit margins for their retailers. Most times the product you buy will have actual US serial numbers, english manuals etc they are just not sold through the manufacturers channels. That is why often you can get 30-50% off by buying grey market as the profit margins are not built in for the retailers. Sometimes it may be imported product not ever intended to be sold in the US but that is not the norm in my experience and I have purchased a ton of grey market electronic gear.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i only buy my car stereo stuff off of ebay. A lot of ebay stores offer warranties, in all honesty, unless money is not an issue, i dont know why somebody wouldnt buy stuff off ebay, it saves so much money lol
Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Here is a few places that I have purchased items from(HU,amps,subs,wire kits,etc)
http://stores.ebay.com/id=116576208&...TRK:MEFS:MESST
http://stores.ebay.com/id=13598015&s...TRK:MEFS:MESST
http://stores.ebay.com/id=22957927&s...TRK:MEFS:MESST
Just a few places that warrenty their items and offer good deals. Just use your head and stay away from anything that looks to good to be true. Theres alot of large car audio stores on ebay that have very good rep. It is always safer to purchase new rather than used in the car audio market.

I would advise you to find a specific HU and search around for a larger dealer on ebay for good price it. I have personally gotten over 10 HU on there and all have be with great success.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought a few mb quart compnent sets, pioneer indash with navigation, phoniex gold amp etc, all new and form dif places with good feedback and the stuff was like 40% cheaper and never any issues
Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought my whole setup on ebay pretty cheap compared to what i could get it in stores.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

pretty much everything but my headunit and mids i got new off ebay. hu i got from c-field and my mids i got from parts express. (for the price, peerless mids ROCK...)

i got a smokin' deal on a returned alpine head unit from c-field. if you are shopping around for something that c-field carries dont forget to check thier returned and scratch and dent items. mine was listed in the scratch and dent but i cant see anything wrong with it, and i'm PICKY. i got it for waaaay cheap and have the c-field warranty in case anything goes wrong.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll have to check to see if they have the Alpine HU I want in the scratched/dented section.

I know I saved a ton on an alpine HU from circuit city because it was a scratched/dented item. It works great in my truck.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I'll have to check to see if they have the Alpine HU I want in the scratched/dented section.

I know I saved a ton on an alpine HU from circuit city because it was a scratched/dented item. It works great in my truck.
Watch out for the guy selling scratch and dent stuff out of his trunk. You know...the ones where the scratch goes right through the serial number!