Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

already changed my mind.. opinions appreciated..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default already changed my mind.. opinions appreciated..

Well at first i wanted to redo my system bc the previous owner left me with 1 speaker and and basically a 10 car pile up being called an audio system.. i was going to go with the 4 infinity direct replacements and keep the stock head unit... and im not sure who said it but i guess that is like "hooking up a civic".. so.. opinions on new set up

2 sets of Orion C6.2 Components 75 RMS.. (friend had them, fell in love)
1 4 Channel Audiobahn intake series amp 4x75 RMS
Pioneer headunit.. forgot the exact model

i purchased the orions and the pioneer.. but i was asking about the audiobahn amp... are they any good?

and eventually im going to invest in a sub later down the road and def the stealth box.. this is where the sub question comes in... im in love with orion and i was listening to an orion 10" sub that blew me away... but subthump says that their eD sub is great in the box.. what would you guys say is the better option.. the orion sub is the HP10D4... thx
Old 01-05-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audiobahn is absolute junk.

On the components, having a single set installed up front, with nothing else, will sound the best. Adding anything to the "rear stage" will simply destroy the imaging of the system. You could run just the midbasses in the sail panels if you wanted, but it'd sound better with the tweeters back there.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I second scrapping the audiobahn, if you are not wanting to spend alot on the 4 channel but still want a decent system, go with an infinity.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Audiobahn isn't the best of amp choices, but I wouldn't exactly go that far to say it's junk.

Inifinity isn't any better than audiobahn imo as far as a quality amp.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock

BLASPHEMY!! . How dare you speak against my beloved Harman products .
Old 01-05-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
Audiobahn isn't the best of amp choices, but I wouldn't exactly go that far to say it's junk.

Infinity certainly isn't anything special when it comes to amps, but I'd still take one much much faster than I'd take a piece of garbage Audiobahn amp.

I remember 2 or 3 years ago, everyone was buying Audiobahn because of the outrageous numbers they put on their packaging (course, how many people know the difference between peak and RMS anymore ) and the shiny chrome it came in.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Default yea, not really going for style

the numbers on the audiobahn intake series is what got me... im planning on hiding my amps anyway.. im not really looking to show them off... so the chrome appearance wasn't even on my mind.

I was taking into consideration what everybody was saying and my friend's speakers are also at 75 RMS components and told me this AMP was the best bang for the buck .. "Power Acoustik Gothic OV4-800"

here are the specs

* Amplifier Type: Multi-Channel
* RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 85W x 4
* THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02%
* Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 210W x 2
* Speaker Level Inputs: yes
* Preamp Outputs: yes
* Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
* Bass Boost: 18 dB
* Frequency Response: 10-30,000 Hz
* Signal to Noise Ratio: 97 dB
* Fuse Rating: n/a

it got pretty good reviews and the price on isn't going to break the bank..
anybody have any experiences with this brand bad or good?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeySS2000x
the numbers on the audiobahn intake series is what got me... im planning on hiding my amps anyway.. im not really looking to show them off... so the chrome appearance wasn't even on my mind.

I was taking into consideration what everybody was saying and my friend's speakers are also at 75 RMS components and told me this AMP was the best bang for the buck .. "Power Acoustik Gothic OV4-800"

here are the specs

* RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 85W x 4
* THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.02%
* Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 210W x 2
* Bass Boost: 18 dB
* Signal to Noise Ratio: 97 dB
* Fuse Rating: n/a

it got pretty good reviews and the price on isn't going to break the bank..
anybody have any experiences with this brand bad or good?
They're on the lower end of the spectrum...not horrid, but certainly not something I'd want to run. If you want a good amp at a decent price, check around online for some MTX stuff. I picked up a TC4202 for about $140 shipped, and it was benched to do 150w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms. Rated at 100w RMS x 2 @ 4 ohms.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Default i think i got it... would i be underpowering my speakers with this....

Kenwood AMP...

* RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 60W x 4 @ 14.4V
* THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.08 %
* Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 180W x 2 @ 14.4V
* Bass Boost: 0 or 6 dB
* Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB
* Fuse Rating: 40 amps
Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Default anybody???

anybody??
Old 01-06-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the components are 75w RMS and the amp is only 60w RMS, then yeah, you'd be underpowering them.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Restricted User

15w is not going to make any audible difference.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike @ FbodyAudio
15w is not going to make any audible difference.
True, but headroom is always something to go for. It's quite likely he'll crank the gain up to compensate, which will clip the signal.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Element
True, but headroom is always something to go for. It's quite likely he'll crank the gain up to compensate, which will clip the signal.
good point
Old 01-06-2007, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Default lol

english boys?.. "clip the signal?"
Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

english boys?.. "clip the signal?"
A typical signal looks like a sine wave. With a clipped signal, the "top" and "bottom" of the wave are square. This can cause some bad things in drivers, which you don't want.

By having what's called headroom - that is, an amp that produces more power than you need - it allows you to dial the gain back, which results in less THD and a much lower chance of running a clipped signal to a driver. A lot of times, people will install a cheap amp...for example, a Sony amp rated at 500w RMS, and match it to a 500w RMS sub. Thing is, Sony could rate that wattage at 14.4v, which isn't really the normal voltage a car runs at. At 12.8-13.3v, the amp might only put out 400w RMS, so in order to increase sub output, the person turns the gain up. This can cause the clipped signal, which can destroy a driver.

You'd be safer buying a set of 50w RMS components and a 150w RMS x 2 amp and keeping the gain down, than you would be in buying a set of 50w RMS components, a 40w RMS x 2 amp, and turning the gain up.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:47 AM
On The Tree

i must apologize.. i am completely new to the audio world.. not 1 bit of knowledge.. im not looking to be an ignorant blaster on the street... i am interested in having good sound quality.. i guess yea im looking for the best bargain because i don't have enough to spend on an amp with my financial i have alot to deal with right now with college and my fiance.. i got a great deal on the components and i got a decent deal on my head unit..

of course i would love to go with a fosgate or a JL audio but at this time i cant afford it.. im looking to be suffeciently efficient.. as funny as that sounds.. i mean do you think that kenwood is completely garbage bc i will pass and storage my speakers and headunit until i can get an amp that would be "sufficient"..

i appreciate everything you guys have said.. and i've checked some infinity
prices and others and it appears that i really can't go for it.. but yet if nothing but the best is decent.. are you telling me that everybody is running JL audio all around??

everybody is so critical because of their money spent.. for the guy that bought the JL audio amp.. good for him.. really im not being sarcastic one bit... but im not in that state to be honest.. im just looking to not have these speakers run off my headunit..

i might just be rambling and im sorry.. but i just wanna get these babies something to power them lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i must apologize.. i am completely new to the audio world.. not 1 bit of knowledge.. im not looking to be an ignorant blaster on the street... i am interested in having good sound quality.. i guess yea im looking for the best bargain because i don't have enough to spend on an amp with my financial i have alot to deal with right now with college and my fiance.. i got a great deal on the components and i got a decent deal on my head unit..

of course i would love to go with a fosgate or a JL audio but at this time i cant afford it.. im looking to be suffeciently efficient.. as funny as that sounds.. i mean do you think that kenwood is completely garbage bc i will pass and storage my speakers and headunit until i can get an amp that would be "sufficient"..

i appreciate everything you guys have said.. and i've checked some infinity
prices and others and it appears that i really can't go for it.. but yet if nothing but the best is decent.. are you telling me that everybody is running JL audio all around??

everybody is so critical because of their money spent.. for the guy that bought the JL audio amp.. good for him.. really im not being sarcastic one bit... but im not in that state to be honest.. im just looking to not have these speakers run off my headunit..

i might just be rambling and im sorry.. but i just wanna get these babies something to power them lol.
Actually, JL is somewhat of a joke in the audio world, because there are better alternatives that sound nicer, for much less. RE and Adire spring to mind. JL is a marketing company as much as it is a driver company... the reason a 13W7 is $800+ and installing them yourself voids the warranty is because they've been marketed in a way to make them seem like the Ferrari of the audio world, when they're really nothing of the sort. Mercedes, maybe.

Not sure how much that Kenwood amp is, but one suggestion if you want to stay under $300 for the amp is the MTX TC6004. MTX is, surprisingly, one of the better "retial" brands out there. I recently bought a TC4202 for my brother's car, which is rated at 100w RMS x 2....wound up benching almost 150w RMS x 2. You can pick the TC6004 up for about $250 online. If you're willing to give up the second set of components (which really won't do anything other than make a mess of your imaging), shopping for an amp become much easier and much cheaper.

Last edited by Element; 01-07-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Default ty element

thanks alot element... i appreciate all the help you've given me... im actually going to wait a little bit and get the MTX TC6004.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 PM
12 Second Club

And just a little suggestion about that "sub down the road". If you're still looking for best bang for the buck, the Alpine Type-R is a great sub and really well priced. As for the amp, thats totally up in the air, im personally going to run an alpine amp as well. Seems like everyone else helped you with the rest of the set up. Good luck!