Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: I have/had... (note: choose two if you have used both stock/aftermarket amps on them)
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by the stock amp and am/was pleased with the results.
13.79%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by stock amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
10.34%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by an aftermarket amp and am/was pleased with the results.
6.90%
EU-700s in the rear sails powered by aftermarket amp and am/was NOT pleased with the results.
3.45%
been considering this upgrade.
82.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

INSTALL GUIDE (w/ pics): upgrading factory Monsoon subs with 6.5" ones (ED eu700s)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ADDITIONAL SPACER INFORMATION

Originally Posted by fredmr39
If you or nobody you know has the materials/tools to make a spacer, Elemental Designs can custom fabricate one http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=1_43
(they have a separate custom ring building page there...but don't really get the options you would need -- you would have to email them and tell them specifically what you want...shouldn't be a problem)

OR

http://www.able-audio.com/
also custom fabricates rings/spacers....I'm sure many others do as well.

--Sorry I do not have exact dimensions because the outer radius is not a perfect circle...so measure the largest outer radius that will fit, and keep the inner radius the same as the hole that is already present (or to speaker specs).

--Spacers do not have to be MDF also... I looked around at the Home Depot and a good choice seemed to be .5" foam in building materials....but that was a HUGE piece and too expensive (under $20...but still). Harder foams would be nice because it would be easier to fit since it gives a little, and you would be able to cut it to size with a razor. I thought about sheet rubber or thick rubber matting (like that used as weight lifting flooring). Another specific type of foam I have seen used as spacers before is foam core. http://www.matcutter.com/catalog.php?catid=2&styleid=1
or
http://www.framingsupplies.com/MatB...d/FoamBoard.htm
or
http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop_sear...=foam&Submit=Go
or
any arts and crafts store probably - just make sure it's .2-.5" thick (.5" thick if you do not plan on drilling a hole behind the speaker for the vented pole).

alright that's all...I'm out of bookmarked links!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:41 PM
B T
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not better....just that it's not common to have high sensitivity ratings on a sub. Most are in the area of 84-86 dB @ 1W/1m.
>>>

Be serious.

http://www.planetaudiousa.com/home/c...um=4&catNum=20

update: still waiting on speaks, (very patient, I am)

>>>>

edit: we are in the 6.5 territory, opps

Last edited by B T; 01-29-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:53 PM
B T
Launching!

Update on install:

Cliff notes: D2's arrived 2 days ago.

I got the flu.

I have one side installed and I will be running both in one ohm.

I decide probably against better judgement, (flu) I didn't want to wait another week or so to exchance them for D4's, so...

I felt a little better today and decide I would use the D2's and see what happens anyway.

Tomorrow I will try the drivers side install.

After a small sound test, I think I like what I hear, compared to 2 oem sail speaks...

Please feel let me guys know what you think about using the D2's in 1 ohm vs the D4's in 2 ohm.

Btw, my sail oem speakers ohms each were 1.8 ohm on my meter when I checked it after I pulled it out.

I need a motrin again....
Old 02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B T
Update on install:

Cliff notes: D2's arrived 2 days ago.

I got the flu.

I have one side installed and I will be running both in one ohm.

I decide probably against better judgement, (flu) I didn't want to wait another week or so to exchance them for D4's, so...

I felt a little better today and decide I would use the D2's and see what happens anyway.

Tomorrow I will try the drivers side install.

After a small sound test, I think I like what I hear, compared to 2 oem sail speaks...

Please feel let me guys know what you think about using the D2's in 1 ohm vs the D4's in 2 ohm.

Btw, my sail oem speakers ohms each were 1.8 ohm on my meter when I checked it after I pulled it out.

I need a motrin again....
2 ohm impedance is a nominal/max impedance....also not the same thing as resistance...it's more like AC resistance, as you need to account for frequency, etc... A quick internet search will give a much better answer sorry for the laziness..

I still recommend that you send back for the D4s..
Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It is never a good idea to run an amp with speakers of less impedance than what the amp was designed to handle. You can use speakers of greater impedance but never less than what the amp is rated as stable.

The reason is that increasing impedance (say, replacing 2-ohm with 4-ohm) cuts power but it also reduces current flow so the amp has no problem handling it. On the other hand, reducing impedance (as with replacing 2-ohm with 1-ohm) increases current flow and hence heat generated. This will often be more than the output stage of the amp can handle and will result in serious damage to the amp (as in "letting all the smoke out of the chips").

I agree with fredmr39 - you would be far better off to be patient and exchange the D2s for a pair of D4s. In the long run you will be thankful that you don't have to replace both the amp and the speakers.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

I placed an order on the 29th for two D4s.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they've shipped yet. Although the "Your product has shipped." email came from ED on the 30th, the tracking number still shows "Status: Billing Information Received" on the UPS website.

I hope to get them soon. I'm eager to do this install.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:53 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by melchoir

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they've shipped yet. Although the "Your product has shipped." email came from ED on the 30th, the tracking number still shows "Status: Billing Information Received" on the UPS website.

>>>>

When I recieved my order, the address label had the return address as "RETURNS DEPT" and a phone number under neath it, then the company address.

I tried to call the "RETURNS DEPT" many times and it was a "DISCONNECTED" number.

weird.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by melchoir

Have they shipped? Keep us updated... you should have them by now - not sure why the status says that or why you might not have them, I never had time to check the order status because I live in IL and got them the next day.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

Have they shipped? Keep us updated... you should have them by now - not sure why the status says that or why you might not have them, I never had time to check the order status because I live in IL and got them the next day.
Rescheduled Delivery: 02/08/2007

I ordered on the 1/29, they sent me the shipped email on 1/30, I check tracking everyday and nothing but billing information, so I "chat" with ED's Live Sales support on their website.

That person tells me that they're running behind on those speakers because they have to pass quality control twice before shipping, and they didn't have a lot pre-tested on hand.

He said my package was on their UPS outgoing table and should ship that day. (2/2). On 2/3 I checked the UPS status and it does show that it shipped on 2/2.

Hopefully they're worth the wait!

Cliffs:
Order on 1/29
Receive ship notification with tracking on 1/30
Call on 2/2 to find out what's going on, package ships that day.
Re-Scheduled Delivery of 2/08.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the update - it make no sense to me how they don't have enough "Pre-tested"....it is possible I guess MAYBE since they just had recent price changes that affected them so a lot of people have been getting orders out before February 1st... ??? Who knows.....I hate waiting for stuff though - hope you get them soon.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:39 PM
B T
Launching!

Update on install Vol.3:

Grossman, sucks!

I finally had enough energy to install the drivers side tonight.
I found it a little tricky installing these speakers safely without removing the sails panels and rear side panels.

So I chose to remove mine, ( which takes no time for me to remove and reinstall both sides ) to have extra space for drilling the 1 1/2 inch hole and I wanted the extra "play room".

These speakers come with a clear hard plastic cover placed on top of the cone for protection.
This clear cover happens to be nearly the exact deminsions of the spacers you need to make.

I chose 3/8 crap plywood, ( it was pretty fragile, but I was able to use a jigsaw with a fine metal blade and it went fairly smoothly )

For those making their own spacer, you can place the cover onto your choice of material and use a pencil/ pen and trace around the outside diameter, then flip the cover over, center/ eyeball and center it inside the circle your just made.
Press down firmly on the cover so it doesn't move and trace around the inner most circle of the cover.

You should end up with two circles, one inside the other with about 5/8 space between the two circles.

Cut out the center of the small circle and then cut around the outer larger circle and you should end up with a very nice spacer.

You will have to cut a tiny side off of the circle ( maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cut across ) and that will be the "side" of the circle that will face the front of the car or door jam.

Now that it's a "D" ( the letter D is over kill for this example, but you will get the picture ), it should fit in place nicley after the cut.

I haven't reinstalled the panels yet so, the rear hatch fill speaks are still disconnected.
Anyway, I have a major bass problem now.

Even fadding full front and turning the bass down past middle by 1/4 seems to be really nice bass.

So far with a little listening at moderate volume, I haven't found any trouble yet with the D2's at 1 ohm.

I'll try and get everything back together tomorrow night, then see how it sounds after a few days of of getting used to the extra bass and let you guys now if I still have a working oem amp.

Just to clarify, It doesn't THUMP (much ), it's just the bass volume is so "full" and deeper.

So far I like it.

Last edited by B T; 02-05-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B T
Update on install Vol.3:

Grossman, sucks!
yea wtf

Glad your install is going well - good advice on the spacer -- I had no idea how they came packaged - my brother just handed me the speakers.

You know how I feel about the 1 ohm impedance thing though....I fear for your amp, and hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. You could always wire the VCs in series if things start to seem "wrong".....or return them - haha. OR...if you get really bored when you wire up the other side you can wire it in series and just hold it in place and let us know how much of a difference the impedance makes.

> : - >

Last edited by fredmr39; 02-06-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 AM
B T
Launching!

yea wtf

Glad your install is going well - good advice on the spacer -- I had no idea how they came packaged - my brother just handed me the speakers.

You know how I feel about the 1 ohm impedance thing though....I fear for your amp, and hope this doesn't turn into a disaster. You could always wired the VCs in series if things start to seem "wrong".....or return them - haha. OR...if you get really bored when you wire up the other side you can wire it in series and just hold it in place and let us know how much of a difference the impedance makes.

> : - >
>>>>

You know how I feel about the 1 ohm impedance thing though....
>>>
I got it np.

You could always wired the VCs in series
>>>
be serious!

...if you get really bored when you wire up the other side you can wire it in series and just hold it in place and let us know how much of a difference the impedance makes.
>>>>
Either I misread this, or you should send me the diagram.

Both sides are wired now and working fine.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by B T
You could always wire the VCs in series
>>>
be serious!

...if you get really bored when you wire up the other side you can wire it in series and just hold it in place and let us know how much of a difference the impedance makes.
>>>>
Either I misread this, or you should send me the diagram.

Both sides are wired now and working fine.
Come on I said if things really start to seem like they're going wrong with the amp in the future after the part you quoted. I admire you're bravery in wiring D2s in parallel with the Monsoon amp.

And you might have misread...not sure - but forget it either way didn't know both were in. I was just suggesting wiring the VCs in parallel rather than in series to compare the 1 ohm impedance vs the 4 ohm impedance.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:23 AM
B T
Launching!

Come on I said if things really start to seem like they're going wrong with the amp in the future after the part you quoted. I admire you're bravery in wiring D2s in parallel with the Monsoon amp.
>>>>
If things start to sound funky, yea, I might try series.

No bravery hear my friend. ( I've hurt worse! ) monty python lol

Yes, both D2's are in one ohmage, ( checked with my meter prior to install )

The overall bass sound ( volume level) is incredible with these so far.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by B T
The overall bass sound ( volume level) is incredible with these so far.
Wow, now I'm really wanting them to get here. Thanks for the heads up on the spacer creation too.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

I love writeups on camaros!
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 PM
B T
Launching!

>>>>
If things start to sound funky, yea, I might try series.
>>>>

OK, today on the way to work I noticed the same problem again I had with oem sails.

It had really good punch and volume with lower volume settingss, but the D2's started to get quiter as I increased the volume control. But worse than the oems.

I have rewired the dvc to let the amp see 4 ohms for both sides now.
It's lost some low volume punch but I will find out tomorrow on the way to work if they sound louder now at higher volume.

The stock system seems to reduce power going to the sails as the volume is increased. ( at least on my system )

So for any more testing I'm leaving all the other controls set to middle. ( for some reason my sails are getting quieter when I add more bass past middle and start increasing the volume control past half..

Argggggggggggh!

They still sound really good in 4 ohm though.
I'll find out tommorow.

Last edited by B T; 02-06-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by B T

The stock system seems to reduce power going to the sails as the volume is increased. ( at least on my system )

So for any more testing I'm leaving all the other controls set to middle. ( for some reason my sails are getting quieter when I add more bass past middle and start increasing the volume control past half..

Argggggggggggh!

They still sound really good in 4 ohm though.
I'll find out tommorow.
LOL....what you are hearing is completely NORMAL for a stock system and, in fact, for a lot of stock systems that have an AUTO loud circuit. When you are listening to it turned down the loud circuit is on, but as you turn it up it cancels the loud circuit so that you don't distort the tiny "subs" (sail panel drivers are our subs) we have in our cars. This is perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with you system. Hell, my old entry level Nakamichi even had an auto loud circuit.

They do this mainly for people that can't tell when a driver is being pushed beyond it's limit. I know when I had my stock system, there's no way I could crank the bass up and turn it up very loud at all before I started hearing the driver distort or the amp clip. There's only so much you can do with the stock system.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:28 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
LOL....what you are hearing is completely NORMAL for a stock system and, in fact, for a lot of stock systems that have an AUTO loud circuit. When you are listening to it turned down the loud circuit is on, but as you turn it up it cancels the loud circuit so that you don't distort the tiny "subs" (sail panel drivers are our subs) we have in our cars. This is perfectly normal and there is nothing wrong with you system. Hell, my old entry level Nakamichi even had an auto loud circuit.

They do this mainly for people that can't tell when a driver is being pushed beyond it's limit. I know when I had my stock system, there's no way I could crank the bass up and turn it up very loud at all before I started hearing the driver distort or the amp clip. There's only so much you can do with the stock system.
>>>
I thought that was the deal, I just wanted someone else to say it.

there's no way I could crank the bass up and turn it up very loud at all before I started hearing the driver distort or the amp clip.
>>>
I don't seem to be having either of those problems so far.
Just loss of bass volume.

But your correct, the stock system is hard to work with, I'm just trying to find the nice compromise.
OK, so where's that "auto loud circuit disable writeup".

My soldering gun is starting to twitch....

Last edited by B T; 02-06-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: INSTALL GUIDE (w/ pics): upgrading factory Monsoon subs with 6.5" ones (ED eu700s)