Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rockford Fosgate??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rockford Fosgate??

Anyone know of a good head unit out there Ive got a R/F Amp and speaker and i want a matching head unit.. Id like something that plays MP3's and has a hookl up for an ipod and lights up red to match every other light in the car.. Anyone help me out?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Best Buy (gimme a sec).

- Decide your price range (regular guys don't need >$200 h/u)
- Identify the features you want (seems like you've done that)
- Pick the one you like the look and feel of
- Go back home and order it off the internet (lol)

All of the common mass market stuff you'll see there (Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, Pioneer, Panasonic) is of similar quality.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ls1lover
Anyone know of a good head unit out there Ive got a R/F Amp and speaker and i want a matching head unit.. Id like something that plays MP3's and has a hookl up for an ipod and lights up red to match every other light in the car.. Anyone help me out?
i would go with pioneer if i were you but they light up green and blue no red...alpine green....the others im not too sure of but jvc panasonic and such are good....

like he said you can go to bestbuy or circuit city see one you like and get it off ebay or similar internet source lol

also check out crutchfield.com its a great company ive ordered pretty much all my stereo equipment from them...and their staff is really smart call em up and tell them what you want they will find it for you....plus 30 day return policy if you dont like it....along with all the installation equiptment you need free and free shipping cant beat it
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 02-02-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd simply say that JVC and Panasonic are near the lower end of the "name brand" spectrum (per personal experience) while older Alpine stuff (my perference is the 9833/9835 series) is among the better stuff. However, between modern mid-line Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Eclipse, there's not a huge amount of difference any more. Any of those 4 brands would be a safe bet, and beyond that, it's simply personal preference.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Sweet I bought a Kenwood KDC-MP2035 Hope I did good!! If not ill just return that ****!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

Pioneer deh-p580 lights up with red buttons and the deh-p5800mp is the same. Rockford Fosgate also makes a HU mp3 unit if your that much into it matching with high output preamps voltage. It's red too. My choice would be Kenwood though as they make great stuff and match also. Crutchfield is so overpriced if you want to spend alot more... I buy all my stuff from ebay and use Crutchfield as a reference guide to figure out what the features are and what it looks like with all the nice pictures. I know all about there return policy and customer service...I've never had to return a HU or speaker before so I'd rather save 30%-40% over Crutchfield. Goodluck!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

I did go with kenwood, I found the same deck on ebay for cheaper about 20 bucks cheaper but it didnt include the other things i needed to fit into my car like the one off of crutchfield did. Plus free shipping so im happy so far.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

Awesome!!! Kenwood makes a real nice deck. You should be very happy with it. Forgot about some of the deals Crutchfield does with the harness and mounting hardware. That definetly can make up the difference!!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Pioneer deh-p580 lights up with red buttons and the deh-p5800mp is the same. Rockford Fosgate also makes a HU mp3 unit if your that much into it matching with high output preamps voltage. It's red too. My choice would be Kenwood though as they make great stuff and match also. Crutchfield is so overpriced if you want to spend alot more... I buy all my stuff from ebay and use Crutchfield as a reference guide to figure out what the features are and what it looks like with all the nice pictures. I know all about there return policy and customer service...I've never had to return a HU or speaker before so I'd rather save 30%-40% over Crutchfield. Goodluck!!!
true they mark up and i do that too look at crutchfield talk to them and buy somewhere else...if im not sure i might even buy crutchfield see if i like it and if i do i return it to crutchfield and buy from ebay but either way they have some good prices on certain things....

hope the cd player works out..you installing yourself?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crutchfield is really only price attractive in the low range when you factor in the installation items that they include - you end up paying only a very small penalty for going with such a reliable vendor.

I think in terms of ~150 or so head units thier pricing is actually very good all things considered.

Once you start looking at more pricey decks, other places become much more price attractive.

I'm currently running two Kenwood decks, and although they aren't the most solid feeling h/u's I've had, the features they had at thier respective price points were very good, and they have both served me well. The older one has about 4 years of Michigan on it (cold and hot, bad roads) and is still truckin.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

Negetive. . . . if you dont need the support or all of the installation goodies.. . I would go with onlinecarstereo.com or woofersect.com, they usually have better prices!
Old 02-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned

Actually, I have a buddy who has a resale license and owns his own vending business. He is a member of a wholesale place where car audio shops buy there equipment...also where ebay sellers buy from. I have been in there twice and it makes me sick to know what the markup is on stuff. They didn't have ALL the brands I like but as an example...a JVC avx1 (awhile back..I know) was $249.00. Not great as far as subs go but the Audiobahn higher end subs were about $30.00. Decent quality speakers were anywhere from $9.99 to $18.00. I am currently trying to get my GA resale tax I.D. number so I can start buying wholesale. They make you jump through hoops to get this stuff. Crazy how much the markup is.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
Negetive. . . . if you dont need the support or all of the installation goodies.. . I would go with onlinecarstereo.com or woofersect.com, they usually have better prices!
ikesound.com and etronics.com are also good websites, as is Parts Express for install components.

As most cars typically just use a single DIN opening, and every cd player I've ever installed comes with the "DIN cage" in the box, the wiring harness is between $5-20 (depending on where you buy, and what type of harness it is, be it a quick-connect or a splice harness). The only car I installed a deck in that didn't use the DIN cage was a Hyundai Elantra, and that merely took a file and about 5 minutes in order to get the OEM mounting stuff to work with the deck.

Crutchfield is nifty to look through for new ****, and to keep tabs on general market values, but I never have anmd doubtfully ever will actually buy anything from them. Between the prices and not carrying anything I want (RE, ID, Soundsplinter, etc), I see no reason to. :shrug:
Old 02-03-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Eclipse! 8v! the more power the better the sound these are competition cdplayers ask anybody who knows about systems the best pioner gots is a 6v same with sony
Old 02-03-2007, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

It lights up red too & many different colors mp3 capability as well
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

Eclipse is da BOMB!!!! I think that's gonna be my next HU actually.