Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

System Pics!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:52 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is...Thanks!! To me that is a big complement!! I can't remember exact figures but I'll try to break it down...(everything not indicated as used was new)
JVC avx1....$300.00
CDT CL-6 comps...$100.00 (used)
CDT CL-6 mid bass...$80.00
Rockford Fosgate Power Series 600.5...$200.00 (used)
JL Audio W3V2 D4 x 2....$140.00 (used)
Subthump stealth enclosures....$160.00 (used)
misc. wiring and fuse blocks....$120.00
So totaled to be.....$1100.00
Winning a sound off with 2 10" subs....priceless!!!! (my class)
Most of the equipment was bought from ebay gently used. Even the original Panasonic HU I had was ebay'd. I have actually been through 4 HU's (Clarion, Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC), all were used except for the JVC. All worked great...sold on ebay and here!! As far as speakers...Infinity 6012i, 6010is, Alpine SPS-170's, MTX TDX 6502, Boston Acoustic Rally comps, CDT CL-6e, and now the CL-6's. I also ran every combination from the HU and from an amp. I did alot of experimenting but it was worth it!!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

are the cdt mid bass DVC? link to purchase? thanks.

great job btw.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

The Cl-6's are SVC. I have everything in the car running off the RF amp though so it wasn't an issue as far as the sail panels go. I know they are dual though the factory system but I ditched those long ago. I PM'd you the link to where I bought my CDT CL-6's. The components were purchased used from an individual not from the CDT Store. Thanks again!!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANK YOU! I've been trying to figure out a way to mount my tweeters without having to modify the door panel or the tweeter. Having seen the picture in the first post, I see there's enough room to mount it on a bridge behind the factory grill.

BTW, if I remember come Memorial Day, I'll come down and say hi. I'm usually with the Birmingham guys or sometimes the ACFA crew (one of which will have a mystic TA, too). I'd love to talk a little shop about Firebird/TA audio.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Banned

I actually used the factory mounting piece behind there. The tweeter is mounted to a piece of metal with a small screw in the back. I just undid the screw and slid the factory tweeter out. I just slid my tweeter in the same place and used a bit of 3M double sided trim tape on the back. Hasn't moved yet and fit perfect in the factory location!! Glad I could be of assistance!! By all means come by!!! I would be glad to show off my system some more..lol!! I am currently redoing some more stuff...should be interesting to see how it turns out!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Launching!

are you using the controls on the steering wheel ?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
Sorry bud, but there is no way you are going to convince me that 2 10w3's in sealed boxes put out 144db. Sorry, no way. You must be using a radio shack meter.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I know what it takes to get that kind of SPL and I have never seen even 2 10's of any make/model (round cone) put out that kind of DB.

Clean install none the less.
I agree w/SPDEMON.
Nice install nevertheless.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

hell yeah those old style rockford amps where the best never overrheated, and put out more than they said!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kage
I agree w/SPDEMON.
Nice install nevertheless.
Everyones entitled to agree with whatever they want!! I didn't mic my own car though and I didn't write my own results as posted. Nor did I bring my own trophies to the event. I thought this was a mute point as it was determined it wasn't a Term Lab mic used but an Audio Control mic instead. I'll be sure to tell the judges to lower my score next time because no one believed it last time. Don't know what else to say...I pulled up...the guy put the mic in the car on the dash facing the windshield...I played a track off of IASCA Competition CD that a friend gave me. That's the number that popped up on the screen in front of the guys booth. He opened my door and handed me that paper I posted and took the mic out of the car. I didn't even know at that point that I had won my class because I told him the equipment I have and he placed me in a class. I had never competed before and didn't build it to compete...I just know what sounds good to me and that's what I built. Remind me NOT to post my quarter mile times when I run the car this summer!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lswon!!
hell yeah those old style rockford amps where the best never overrheated, and put out more than they said!
I have used RF amps since 1988. My first amp was a Punch 45. Not a 45HD but the first versions. I recently installed a Punch 45HD (old school amp) in a Grand Am with a 10" sub. Sounded great. I had found a guy on ebay who rebuilds the sound boards for older RF amps like the Punch 45, 75, and 150's. I purchased the new board from him and put it in the old amp. It was pretty cool. My 600.5 tested at 780watts @ 4ohms according to the sheet RF sent with the amp. It is supposed to be a 600watt amp. I've always seemed to have good luck with them.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eroc022
are you using the controls on the steering wheel ?
I am not currently using them because I had an issue with the stereo turning the volume up by itself with the Monsoon in there. I think the culprit was a faulty volume control on the steering wheel so I didn't buy the adapter to use the steering controls. It is always an option down the road though if I decide to replace my steering wheel audio controls. I just use the remote that came with the radio.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Hey guys, some of these audio shows are not even using audio-control or term labs since some are just local car shops sponsoring them.

The old school were mics. Yet there can be about 5 db difference between Audio control to term labs which are pressure sensitive devices.

old mics are up to 10-20db difference depending on what power class.

And he could of very well scored a 144db using old mics on his setup. Reguardless, he still won. Some of you guys are well aware of what it takes to get 140+db, but no need to give him a hard time. He's just going by what he was given.

The install looks great I think. He did a fantastic job and it looks very clean.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

Well I did the unthinkable and cut my sail panels!! A ROYAL PITA!! I now have CDT EF-8 carbon fiber subs in there. I was gonna sell them and the deal fell through so I decided to install them instead. Alot of kick drum type bass from there now. I also just purchased some Resonant Engineering SE10 D4's for the stealthboxes. These are replacing the JL Audios. Should make a nice improvement. If I can sell the JL's I am gonna get some CDT HD series components as well for the doors or maybe some CDT ES's. The CL-6's sound fantastic so I figured the the others should really sound good!! I really want to show off the sound system at G11 so I am upgrading everything again. As far as the whole SPL thing goes...it's all good...to me it's more important that it sounds good that be loud. If I had been trying to really go for SPL I would not have chosen W3's for this task. L7 Solobarics, RE SX's, W6 or W7 JL, Adire Brahma, etc. would have been my choice for that type of competition. This was just a thing I did for fun and I did have fun at the event!! I'll post some pics of the 8" subs in the sails and of the RE's when they come in. Thank you for the compliments again!!
Old 05-08-2007, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

SE's will still get pretty loud. I loved my SX when I had it.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Banned

I got a package today with some new goodies in it!!!! Check these out!! RE Audio SE10's!!!!

Compared to my W3's....

Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

Here are the CDT 8" subs in the sails:
Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

Everythings in except my CDT HD's for the doors. Still gotta break in the subs though. Here's them installed in the stealths.

So far so good!!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a nice setup,i bet it sounds badass.it damn sure looks badass!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Thanks!!! I was suprised at how much more low end bass I was missing. The W3 is a very nice sub but when it came to deep low end bass they couldn't produce as much as these RE's. Not by a long shot. Not that there's anything wrong with the W3 it is a very nice sub. These RE's are impressive though to say the least!! I think I'm gonna go to one more competition with this setup to see what it can do.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Default 3 quick questions

door speakers are the same size as the rear speakers?

whered u buy those subs and sub stealth boxes? a link would be appreciated

and i can't seem to find the amp anywhere to buy any suggestions?

Last edited by transam_089; 06-13-2007 at 09:26 AM.