Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail panel woofers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail panel woofers

Let's beat this dead horse one more time. I have read several pages on this subject but still need some expert advice.
I have a Trans Am with the Monsoon system and busted sail panel woofers. I plan on replacing only the woofers and the rest of the system is factory original. My budget is around $100 dollars for the parts.
Can someone recommend what speakers or woofers to use that are within this meager budget?
I've seen the Elemental Designs woofers and that looks good but is a little out of my budget unless there is another source with a lower price.
The Tang Band that have been recommended seem a little too deep for this location. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-832
Crutchfield recommends a two way speaker and mentions that only that the tweeter will not work. These seem to be the best mid bass http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VlPWE7K...i=107DB675#Tab
I've seen the thread about the RF woofers but can't seem to find them for sale and 6.5 inch subwoofers are a little rare anyway.
Or course there is always Pyramid off ebay.
Cry
I'm not an audiofile but would like an improvement over the original system.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

I have a set of Peerless midbass drivers I can sell ya cheap. I just pulled them out after putting in my Elemental Designs 7" midbass ones in. They are model number 850518 (CSX 165 C) They are known by audio guys to be a decent low cost speaker for custom component sets. They look very similar to this other model of Peerless:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/ind....26002&pid=867

I had them installed up until last week and really liked them for midbass. Let me know....$50 shipped you can have them....

Last edited by JR HAWK 9; 02-28-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good price, you should go for it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

I can get pictures if he's interested....
Old 02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Were you running these with the factory amp and if not, how will they work with that amp. My system is completely original at the moment.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

no, I had them powered with a aftermarket amp and never with the stock amp. I am trying to find the specs for them, but seeing they were replaced by a newer model not too long ago I am having problems digging them up. They are 4ohm drivers and they have a sensitivity rating of 90db, which makes them pretty sensitive. I seriously doubt they will require much power at all to get to sound decent. These were the midbass drivers that were recommended to me awhile ago when looking for something to replace some crappy Kenwood drivers.

As far as how they would work with the stock amp, I really can't say because I have never ran an aftermarket speaker off of the stock amp...lol I know I wouldn't want to put something back there that required a lot of power if running the stock amp to them. The stock speakers are dual voice coil on the Trans Am's, so for a 4ohm driver you will have to use one set or the other of speaker wires. Just make sure that both speakers are hooked up in phase with each other. If they are out of phase you will get cancellation which will result in weak bass performance. Look at the stock speakers where the connectors are. The wires should be labeled A & B. The wire going to the B connection is + and the wire going to the A connection is -. When you're done and you think the bass sounds kind of weak just reverse the wires to 1 of the speakers to get it in phase with the other speaker.

I ran across this thread while searching:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ghlight=850518

Paul

Last edited by JR HAWK 9; 02-28-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Jr Hawk 9 check your email.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

replied