Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PAC SWI-X installation Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PAC SWI-X installation Q

Can someone provide pictures where to mount the control box and LED in a Trans AM? Thanks.

Dave
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

I have mine velcroed to the back side of part of the dash shown here:

I used an industrial grade 3M hook & loop type of Velcro. You can just barely see the rear of the control box in this pic in the upper left hand corner of the pic. I guessed a few times at aiming and this is the one that turned out the best. It's hard to get a good pic of it in the place it's at...lol

As far as the eye of the PAC SWI-X, I mounted mine right about the head unit in the plastic Metra kit itself. It worked fine all the while I had the SWI-X. I currently have the SWI-PS, which is what I took the picture of, but the two control boxes are the same size.

Hope that helps you some.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

This helps JR Hawk 9, do you recall wich wire I need to attach the green wire too of the SWI-X? I'm thinking of running the neg and pos leads up to the leads to the radio plug.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

It's the dark blue one on pin 14

Headunit wiring harness
Pin#............Color.................Function
1......................Grey....................... .Front Left Speaker -
2......................Tan........................ ..Front Left Speaker +
3......................Dark Green.............Front Right Speaker -
4......................Light Green.............Front Right Speaker +
5......................Black .....................Ground
6......................Brown.....................I llumination
7......................Grey....................... .Dimmer
8......................Pink....................... ....Power Antenna
9......................Yellow..................... 12V Ignition
10....................Orange....................12 V Constant
11.....................NA......................... ..NA
12.....................NA......................... ..NA
13.....................NA......................... ..NA
14....................Dark Blue................Steering Wheel Controls
17....................Light Blue............... Right Rear Speaker -
18....................Dark Blue................Right Rear Speaker +
19....................Yellow.....................L eft Rear Speaker -
20....................Brown......................L eft Rear Speaker +
Old 02-28-2007, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

JR,
When I bought the car, it already had a Kenwood system wired in. The previous owner used the wiring plug that came with the Kenwood. Would the kenwood plug be the same as what you just posted? I"m heading out to the garage to get the manual on the Kenwood and scan the wiring section of the manual to attach. brb

Last edited by Dave1970; 02-28-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

well, the plug he used should be plugged into the factory wiring harness....which is what you will want to tie into. Forget about the Kenwood harness, as that's connected in between the factory harness and the radio. You want to concentrate solely on the factory harness. The green wire from your SWI-X will need to be connected to the dark blue wire (pin 14) of the factory wiring harness.

I stripped about a 1/2" of isolation off the blue wire and soldered on the green wire, as I HATE them stupid press on quick connect splicers, as they tend to work half the time and then if they do work initially then they have a chance of losing the connection down the road.

Last edited by JR HAWK 9; 02-28-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

Pic of kenwood wiring diagram.
Attached Thumbnails PAC SWI-X installation Q-scan.jpg  
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

I sure hope he didn't cut the factory wiring harness off and wire it up that way.....

if he did, then you have to look for the factory dark blue wire, seeing there are two of them and the other is for the right rear (+) speaker, and assuming the rear speaker is connected to the head unit and not to a power amplifier, then you look for the dark blue one that's not connected to anything. If you don't have any aftermarket amplifiers and all your speakers are being deck powered, then the other factory dark blue wire you have should be connected to your Kenwood's purple wire according to your wiring diagram.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

You will not use any of that. You need only tap 3 wires. (I just did this myself) I would try to use the stock harness to tap into but the kenwood will be fine for just the ground and power. The dark blue wire on the stock harness connects to the green on the swi-x. that is the signal wire. then your switched power, and a ground. the hardest part I thought was finding the blue wire. On my 94 I dont think it was in that exact spot, it was a few pins over but it was all by itself and dark blue so I figured it had to be it and was right.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

yep, exactly.....although I get the feeling that the factory harness/clip was cut off and discarded by the original owner. There are two dark blue wires though, so he has to be careful not to wire it up to the wrong one.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

oh really? I didnt notice another one. Yea hopefully you still have the factory one. Mine was all messed up when I got it and had to do some maintenance on it (electrical tape) and get rid of some other stuff too. Car-Toys really messed it up a while back. connecting stuff together that does not need to be, hooking up my remote wire to the power antenna wire, not connecting dimmer wires, just totally cutting wires in half, man it was a mess!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Just got back in from the garage. I found the factory white multi-plug. Got the power and ground to the leads from the plug on the Kenwood. I placed the green wire to the dark blue wire on the multi-plug that was set off by itsefl. At least I know there's power to the SWI module. Going over the programming instructions now. Will keep you posted. Thanks for helping me get through this part. I'm trying to wrap this up tonight since I start a month's worth of nightshift tomorrow night for one of my company's customers.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

I went through cleared the memory of the module, set the version (1 for Pontiac), followed the steps to let the module learn the controls. After that was done, the AM/FM button increased the volume. What did I do wrong? Does the module have to learn the control (i.e. volume up & down) then do the IR volume control? The instructions are not clear on that portion.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like you didn't set it up right. I can't remember the exact way you are supposed to do it, but I think you have to push the button on your head unit remote control first and then do the corresponding button on the steering wheel. There is also a time limit, so if you take too long you will have to start the process all over again.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

here is how it goes:

first when the key is in the on position press the programming button, the left led will light up.

press the steering wheel button you want to program.

the left led turns off and the right turns on.

now point your reciever remote at the ir reciever on the swi-x and press what button you want that button you just pressed on the steering wheel to do.

you have 7 seconds to do that, which is plenty of time really.

after it gets the signal from the remote then the right led turns off and the left one turns on again awaiting a new signal from the steering wheel. continue this until all buttons are programmed then wait the 7 seconds for the swi-x to save the info and start itself in normal mode.

now check all of your buttons. when you start programming remember you have to program all of the buttons, you can not do one and not the others because when you start programming it clears the previous memory banks.

hope this helps
Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

ok, that sounds right......I couldn't remember as it's been so long since I did it.

that should help him
Old 02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, that where I'm at now. Just mounted the radio back into place. Got some of the controls to work like I want them. I had pressed the programming button each time I was doing a steering wheel button. Which in turn cleared the previous learned button. Should have it set up like I want it in a couple of hours. Where's a good location to mount the LED emitter that needs line of sight to the receiver on the head unit? I;ve read something about using the cup holder in the center consol or along the e-brake mid way down on the consol also.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

I mounted mine right above the head unit. the plastic dash kit that my head unit is in leaves a small gap at the top that gets covered up by the last plastic piece. you know, the final piece that goes on to cover the bolts etc. I just fed it through that gap, and have it barely hanging down. just enough to have the led peek out and point down and to the left at the head unit. works great
Old 02-28-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Got the emitter mounted towards the top or the cup holder in the consol. Since I rarely use that, it looks like it will work. Now the radio is set on one station. I can change the volume and go to another station but it goes right back to the one. Not sure what has went hay-wire on the programming. Going to leave it alone till I can go through the programming again once I get off this outage.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
I mounted mine right above the head unit.
like I mentioned above, I had mine mounted there as well. Although I drilled a small hole in my mounting kit and properly mounted it there. I didn't want it hanging down and looking like it was a rush job. Once everything was done you could hardly even see it.

Quick Reply: PAC SWI-X installation Q