Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about Train Air Horn and Stock Alarm or Aftermarket Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about Train Air Horn and Stock Alarm or Aftermarket Alarm

Hey guys, I'm getting worried. I work in a ghetto mall that keeps getting jacked by car thieves. My buddy's Aurora got broken into the other night and I am worried about my car also. The thing is: He has an aftermarket alarm and I always say that it does nothing because when a person hears it, people don't really look to see whats going on. Needless to say, the thief got away with his DVD LCD thingee. He works for security at the place where I work and we got him on camera. You can see the lights flashing, (car alarm going off) and he is still able to get away with the loot! Then I started thinking. What if I rig a Train Air horn system to my stock alarm system. That would scare the **** out of the thief and of course bring attention when it keeps honking. Is this doable? What other measure could I take to make sure my car isn't broken into or stolen?

Thanx guys!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go to 18wheelers salavage yard and get those horn
Old 03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

There is nothing you can do to really prevent break-ins. If they want it bad enough they will get it and a pro can be in and out of your car before anyone notices.

That said, what you want in an alarm is something that will draw enough attention that an amateur thief will go elsewhere. Unfortunately, installing train (or even large truck) quality air horns is problematic in our cars. They require a rather large air tank and the horns themselves are quite large. Not to mention they cost several hundred dollars. There are smaller air horn kits available at your local auto parts store that you could use. They're fairly inexpensive yet still quite loud. The one thing that might be a problem is that they have no air storage tank so they rely on the small compressor to power the horns. That compressor takes a moment to spin up and provide pressure. This is not a problem for normal "lay on the horn" use but might be a problem for the type of honking the alarm system does - each honk may not be long enough to spool up the compressor for a really effective sound. You'd have to try it to find out.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

this is what you really need to do. ill try to find the vid, it's hilarious but dude it would definately turn heads and also make the theft confused. Instead of a horn it makes orgasmic noices. here ill find it
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

i found it lol http://youtube.com/watch?v=K2IDImv83rs, this would have to work but yea you can just go to a 18 wheeler salvage yard to get the horn
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the video - I almost fell off the chair watching it. All my buddies at work are going to enjoy it tomorrow :-) Great idea, btw - unusual noises, lights will definitely attrack people's attention.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

lol nice

I thought this was pretty smart, mix it with a fob that tells you when someone is tampering with your car and you're golden.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/f...car-242183.php
Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Detachable face-plates on stereos discourage criminals since one part is virtually useless without the other. Just put the face-plate in the carrying case and stuff it in your backpack/pocket when you leave. If your worried about the car getting stolen, my friends and had a good idea. We copied the Lo-Jack logo and made small stickers to put on the window. Who wants to steal a car with a tracking device on it?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think if I had a train horn I would use it for more than just scaring away thieves.

http://www.hornblasters.com/video.php?pic=44
Old 12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRecGUQYM9g

98 Aztek T/A WS7
70 Ram Air IV T/A
97 FZJ80 Locked
00 Lifted G16E
Old 12-03-2007, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club