Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adapter - 2002 TA WS.6 - Went bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapter - 2002 TA WS.6 - Went bad

Man, I'm pissed my adapter must of went bad, it was like 2 1/2 months ago in the winter. Do you think the cold caused it? Anyone else have this happen to'em? I haven't tried the adapter since then, I'm going to try it tonight for the hell of it because it's warm out. I've had it for 3 years now, running fine up till one day when I started it up and it was cold out. Total bummer!!! I think I must of payed $50 or something, I can't remember...

I can't remember the site where to buy'em at, anyone have a few sites? It would be for a 2002 Trans Am Monsoon. And no, I don't want the fm transmitter that sounds like crap, I need the adapter that plugs into back of the monsoon radio and has an output for my mp3 player.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Ok I found one site - link

Running for $70

There's gotta be some sponsors on here or something that got it for cheaper

Found this one for $63 link

If anyone has a better price pm me please!

Last edited by SLP LS1; 03-24-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have it too. The problem is not the adapter. Its the headunit. You can confirm by connecting it to another radio (I connected it to my brother's dj amp in the basement with a long RCA cable). Unplug the heaunit. Wait a minute or two and reconnect everything. That should reset it. Or you could wait a random amount of time and it will randomly start working again. I'm considering a new aftermarket headunit.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
I have it too. The problem is not the adapter. Its the headunit. You can confirm by connecting it to another radio (I connected it to my brother's dj amp in the basement with a long RCA cable). Unplug the heaunit. Wait a minute or two and reconnect everything. That should reset it. Or you could wait a random amount of time and it will randomly start working again. I'm considering a new aftermarket headunit.
Thanks, I'll try it tonight!

I just can't imagine anything going wrong with the adapter, it's only 3 years old or so. It just sits in back of the radio...
Old 03-24-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Didn't work! "E33" popped up when I disconected it a couple of times!!!

Man, that pisses me off!!! I hate listening to the radio. I have a $300 MP3 player too, ****!!!!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

I got it to work!!!

Thanks man, I owe you and LS1tech one!!! You saved me $70.

I kept on unplugging it and waiting a minute or two, then got pissed and game it the old Arnold tapped and it started working. Go figure!

Thanks,
Erik

Time to go take a stroll out on woodward
Old 03-25-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Same thing happened to me I had to wiggle and **** around with the rca's to get my ipod working.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I just re-read my post and realized that I didn't explain my test correctly, but you figured it out and got it working. I have two adapters, the PIE GM9-AUX and PIE PIO/P-RCA. The part about connecting it to my brother's dj amp was to test my Pioneer XM Receiver and PIE PIO/P-RCA which converts the IP-BUS output of my Pioneer XM Receiver to RCA. That test won't test the PIE GM9-AUX. I was testing the PIE PIO/P-RCA to make sure it still worked in an attempt to narrow down the problem. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the radio doesn't work the first time. Sometimes I reconnect the radio without the PIE GM9-AUX adapter, turn it on to make sure its connected properly and doesn't see any CD-Changer or adapter, turn off the headunit, then reconnect the adapter and turn the headunit back on and test to make sure that it finds the "CD-Changer"....which is really the PIE GM9-AUX adapter. My Pioneer XM receiver is also connected via a direct line into the antenna wire so when my headunit acts up and looses the connection to the PIE GM9-AUX the heaunit goes back to FM and tunes it that way. Then I'll later try the CH-CHANGER setting again and it will some times work for a few days gain or not. Its working now....but It could stop working again at any time. Like I said in my previous post, I am considering an aftermarket Pioneer heaunit (possibly the DEH-4900iB).

Here is my current setup:
http://www.fadingarrow.com/XMSatelliteRadio.htm
(BTW, the receiver is not mounted there visible like in the pic. Its mounted hidden in the spare tire well.)

Last edited by VIP1; 03-25-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Adapter - 2002 TA WS.6 - Went bad