Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Are the Stealth boxes any good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Stealth boxes any good?

So, i've been on and off about whether to put a sub right on the hatch, or do a stealth box. I am looking for pretty good bass, and want it to be able to hit pretty hard. I have never heard a stealth box enclosure before and was wondering what you guys thought? Does the stealth box hit pretty hard? I was hoping to get a 12 inch JL w3 or w6, or maybe an alpine type r. Does anyone know where I can get a stealth box that will fit a 12?
Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stealth box is way too small for a 12" woofer, that is why subthump stopped making them.

You listed 3 subwoofers that are totally different. JL w3 and w6 are both SQ drivers, the alpine type-r gets decently loud with not much SQ. They're geared for two different kinds of audio enthusiasts

I'd go with a 10" woofer that will work in that small of an enclosure. IDQ, TC-1000, eD...
Old 04-04-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

you can do a 12" U have to make your own fiberblass box though, I sold mine to go to a ttop box...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
Stealth box is way too small for a 12" woofer, that is why subthump stopped making them.

You listed 3 subwoofers that are totally different. JL w3 and w6 are both SQ drivers, the alpine type-r gets decently loud with not much SQ. They're geared for two different kinds of audio enthusiasts

I'd go with a 10" woofer that will work in that small of an enclosure. IDQ, TC-1000, eD...
Hey man can you do me a favor?
I have no idea what you just wrote, as I don't know anything about what an SQ driver does as to what it doesn't do, could you explain this to me with not too many big words???

Seriously!

I have no idea. I also heard of SL, :wtf: is that?

You also typed that they're geared for two different kinds of audio enthusiasts, what are the two different kinds and which type of subwoofer goes with these two different types and why???
Old 04-05-2007, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"SQ" subs are more for people concerned with sound quality, while other subs like that Alpine you listed are better for SPL (sound pressure level) setups. People concerned only with volume will look at certain subs that people concerned more with quality wouldn't.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Hey man can you do me a favor?
I have no idea what you just wrote, as I don't know anything about what an SQ driver does as to what it doesn't do, could you explain this to me with not too many big words???

Seriously!

I have no idea. I also heard of SL, :wtf: is that?

You also typed that they're geared for two different kinds of audio enthusiasts, what are the two different kinds and which type of subwoofer goes with these two different types and why???
As Fredmr was saying, "SQ" subs are for people concerned with Sound Quality, hence the "SQ". If you have sub that gives out great sound quality, it is usually for people who enjoy rock or a lot of fast paced music. Like when the bass drum hits very quickly, a SQ subwoofer will be able to play each note of the bass drum. The only download to a SQ subwoofer is that it does not get very loud. If you put in your favorite rap CD, the bass wouldn't rattle your mirror off.

On the other end of the spectrum is the SPL driver. This driver is capable of getting quite loud, but if it tries to play the quick beat of a bass drum it will screw it up and not be able to play each note or the notes will sound muddy, etc. On rap songs, however, with heavy bass, this type of subwoofer will give you a nice back massage and make you have to readjust your rearview mirror after it falls off.

But with speakers these days, companies have made "SQL" drivers, which is a combination of a SQ subwoofer and SPL subwoofer. I believe the term started when the JL 13W7 came out to describe it. At least that was the first time I had EVER heard the term "SQL" was in a review of the JL 13W7. An SQL driver has very close SQ levels as a pure SQ driver, but will also get loud doing so. It doesn't get as loud as a pure SPL driver, but most SQL subwoofers get loud enough to make most people happy.

The two different audio enthusiasts I was talking about were people who enjoy SQ drivers and people who enjoy SPL drivers. JL makes subwoofers with SQ as their main concern. The Alpine Type-R can get pretty loud (SPL), but not have much SQ with it.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

As Fredmr was saying, "SQ" subs are for people concerned with Sound Quality, hence the "SQ". If you have sub that gives out great sound quality, it is usually for people who enjoy rock or a lot of fast paced music. Like when the bass drum hits very quickly, a SQ subwoofer will be able to play each note of the bass drum. The only download to a SQ subwoofer is that it does not get very loud. If you put in your favorite rap CD, the bass wouldn't rattle your mirror off.

On the other end of the spectrum is the SPL driver. This driver is capable of getting quite loud, but if it tries to play the quick beat of a bass drum it will screw it up and not be able to play each note or the notes will sound muddy, etc. On rap songs, however, with heavy bass, this type of subwoofer will give you a nice back massage and make you have to readjust your rearview mirror after it falls off.

But with speakers these days, companies have made "SQL" drivers, which is a combination of a SQ subwoofer and SPL subwoofer. I believe the term started when the JL 13W7 came out to describe it. At least that was the first time I had EVER heard the term "SQL" was in a review of the JL 13W7. An SQL driver has very close SQ levels as a pure SQ driver, but will also get loud doing so. It doesn't get as loud as a pure SPL driver, but most SQL subwoofers get loud enough to make most people happy.

The two different audio enthusiasts I was talking about were people who enjoy SQ drivers and people who enjoy SPL drivers. JL makes subwoofers with SQ as their main concern. The Alpine Type-R can get pretty loud (SPL), but not have much SQ with it.
Thank you guys both for the definition, as I was not aware.
I could see that my subwoofer, the 1022D type R, once I set the gain on high on the PDX 1.1000 amp the sub hits hard, but you know what, the speed of the Type R with regards to listening to Tool's 10,000 Days, there is a lot of double bass drums banging at terrific speeds and to me it's hitting pretty much on time, so I'm still a bit confused that this is not considered a SP...
Oh wait, the Type R does have SP, just not as refined as the JL subwoofers, correct?
Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep.
Those are just general definitions of the two. They go a lot deeper than that, but I won't get into all of that stuff

Tool does have some double bass and stuff, but there are other CDs out there that are much more demanding of a subwoofer That Tool CD is great though, I love number 5 on that CD.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yep.
Those are just general definitions of the two. They go a lot deeper than that, but I won't get into all of that stuff

Tool does have some double bass and stuff, but there are other CDs out there that are much more demanding of a subwoofer That Tool CD is great though, I love number 5 on that CD.
Me too, also no. 8 loud is outstanding! I LOVE being able to hear drummer Danny Carey hitting all these different drums and bassist Justin Chancellor is just jammin/beatin' on his bass, sounds freaking GREAT!!!