Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replacement speakers for factory system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement speakers for factory system?

What kinda speakers are good for the stock monsoon on the T/A's? I'd like to replace the doors and sail panels.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can probably find 10 of these very same threads on the first page of this section.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know....I always preach CDT....but out of all 8 sets of speakers (Infinity Reference, Infinity Kappas, JL Audio, Boston, Alpine Type-S, Alpine Type-R, etc., I've had in my car they sounded the best to me!! Depending on budget..CL-6e components for the the doors or HD-62's, EF-61CF components for the sails or the M-6 midbass!! Alot has to do with what your budget is!! If you don't mind a little modding the Elemental Design eu700midbass are nice as well for the sails panels!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as sails...IMO, as a replacement for TAs -- the Elemental Designs 7kV.2 (aka eu700s) are your best option since they are DVC subs and you will be able to use the factory Monsoon's full potential (and given that isn't much as it is...you want to get all from it that you can). Modding is minimal -- and will simply require a spacer to account for the deeper mounting depth.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Default Kappa 60.7cs componets

heres a shot of my rear sail panel just finished her about 30mins ago
at first i didnt have the tweeter in the sail panels, (it lacked high range in the rear seats) now it screams, i am still tuning with the sound system the rear spearkers(woofers) seem to "ping" with bass, like the sail panel isnt big enough for the speaker, tred almost everything still working on it.
still need to get the doors installed, i got "2" 60.7 cs kappa component systems and some 4x6 kappas for the rear hatch area.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 12-13-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the post. so I gather I need to go with dvc in the sail panels for the monsoon. should they be 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm dvc? do the doors also need to be dvc? Also what impedence would these need to be.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dajodsterman
thanks for the post. so I gather I need to go with dvc in the sail panels for the monsoon. should they be 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm dvc? do the doors also need to be dvc? Also what impedence would these need to be.
check the "stickys" theres a bunch of great info

dvc no need for dvc in the sail panels.
dvc is for creating "stereo" sound from one speaker
dvc will not give a good sound in the sail panel since the "monson amp"
only sends its low freq... to these speakers. (subs)
sound will be distorted for the high range and throw out the phase of sound

2-ohms are just fine, most speakers are 2 ohms anyways.

impedence = resistance so once again 2 ohm
Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
dvc no need for dvc in the sail panels.
dvc is for creating "stereo" sound from one speaker
dvc will not give a good sound in the sail panel since the "monson amp"
only sends its low freq... to these speakers. (subs)
sound will be distorted for the high range and throw out the phase of sound

2-ohms are just fine, most speakers are 2 ohms anyways.

impedence = resistance so once again 2 ohm
Not exactly...

DVC has nothing to do with stereo vs. mono - it is usually included on subs to give flexibility in wiring to match an amp (you can wire the two voice coils in parallel or series to produce different impedance) and to produce more power with less current and smaller wire.

DVC also has nothing to do with frequency range - I think you're thinking of coaxial which is an entirely different thing.

Most aftermarket car speakers are 4-ohm, especially the full-range or coaxial ones.

Impedance is the alternating current equivalent to resistance in a direct current circuit. The impedance of a speaker varies depending on the frequency of the signal so speakers are rated for impedance at a reference frequency. The DC resistance of speaker coils will usually be somewhat less than the impedance. For example, using a multimeter to test the resistance of a 2-ohm sub will often give a reading around 1.8 ohms.

Originally Posted by dajodsterman
...so I gather I need to go with dvc in the sail panels for the monsoon. should they be 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm dvc? do the doors also need to be dvc? Also what impedence would these need to be.
It's not absolutely essential to go with DVC subs in a Firebird but it makes the wiring easier and uses the amp better because that's what is there from the factory. You should use the 4-ohm DVC version to match the OEM setup.

The door speakers aren't DVC. They're separate components - a 2-ohm 6.5" mid and a 4-ohm .75" tweeter. You can replace the 2-ohm mid with a quality 4-ohm aftermarket speaker without any real loss of volume because good aftermarket speakers are much more efficient than the stock ones.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Ok, so I am going to ask a question on his thread... if I am looking for a sail panel speaker, that has the four leads(dual voice coils), and is only a sub(not coaxial), what are my options for speakers. I recently blew both of mine and I am looking for 6" subs, that may need spacers, but preferably no cutting/modifications other than that. What are my options?

Thanks, Gary.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
Ok, so I am going to ask a question on his thread... if I am looking for a sail panel speaker, that has the four leads(dual voice coils), and is only a sub(not coaxial), what are my options for speakers. I recently blew both of mine and I am looking for 6" subs, that may need spacers, but preferably no cutting/modifications other than that. What are my options?

Thanks, Gary.
The only DVC 6.5" sub I know of is the Elemental Designs 7kV.2 (used to be called eu-700). They require only a spacer for mounting and will easily wire up to the factory wiring.

There are also some very good SVC subs available but I agree with fredmr39 that the eD subs are the best option for use in Firebirds with the Monsoon amp.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Thank you, I'll begin looking now, but if anybody has a suggestion for the best place to get them, I'll be checking back. Thanks again, Gary.

edit...
** Damn from what I've seen those little ***** are expensive
**And hard to find in the US
**Who has bought them, and where from?

Last edited by 99Hawk6spd; 07-30-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99Hawk6spd
Thank you, I'll begin looking now, but if anybody has a suggestion for the best place to get them, I'll be checking back. Thanks again, Gary.

edit...
** Damn from what I've seen those little ***** are expensive
**And hard to find in the US
**Who has bought them, and where from?
If by "them" you mean the ED subs, I bought them straight from elemental designs a couple weeks ago. I don't think there is anywhere else to buy them from. They were 130 for the pair. I haven't gotten a whole lot of listen time on them since they've only been in a few days but I've noticed a big improvement over stock so far. They're easy to install once you get the spacer trimmed properly to the lip around the speaker hole (you'll see what i mean). BTW, take the panel off, dont bother trying to work the speaker and spacer in with it on. It's technically possible but as easy as it is to get the panel off you might as well take it off.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

huh i thought I saw like $100 each on their site... maybe i'm an idiot... maybe more than maybe
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the info guys. looks like I'll be buying some ED's as I just want to upgrade the stock system.