Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best in car iPod Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best in car iPod Setup?

I'm about to chuck my iPod out of my window on the freeway doing 80.

Okay, Im not that frustrated, but I am wondering what the best way to play your iPod through the Monsoon is. I've searched and come up empty. Anyway, I've bought two iPod players that hook up to your AC adaptor and sent out an FM signal, but they sound is so distorted! I've tried about every station possible for a clearer signal, but nothing has worked. I've seen guys jimmy rig an auxilary hookup, but beyond that I'm clueless. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It depends on what year your Monsoon is. There are adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit but they won't work with single CD head units prior to late 1999 (2000 to be on the safe side).
Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

might as well chime in on this thread...

Im looking for an ipod hookup as well, i have a single CD Delco HU in my 97 (dont think its monsoon - but i do have the factory mid-woofers in the back seat panels)

Are there any adaptors that will work on pre-99 factory stereos?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by StolenRedCamaro
might as well chime in on this thread...

Im looking for an ipod hookup as well, i have a single CD Delco HU in my 97 (dont think its monsoon - but i do have the factory mid-woofers in the back seat panels)

Are there any adaptors that will work on pre-99 factory stereos?
Not for direct connection - the CD changer (and hence the auxiliary adapters) only worked with cassette head units in 97. You might consider a wired FM modulator. They eliminate most of the problems of the wireless modulators - static, station bleed-over, etc. - but the sound isn't quite as good as a direct connection. Another option would be picking up a newer head unit from somebody upgrading to an aftermarket system (look in the parts for sale section...they usually go for $100 or less).

BTW, you can tell if it's a Monsoon system by whether you have hatch speakers. The base audio system didn't come with hatch speakers.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not for direct connection - the CD changer (and hence the auxiliary adapters) only worked with cassette head units in 97. You might consider a wired FM modulator. They eliminate most of the problems of the wireless modulators - static, station bleed-over, etc. - but the sound isn't quite as good as a direct connection. Another option would be picking up a newer head unit from somebody upgrading to an aftermarket system (look in the parts for sale section...they usually go for $100 or less).

BTW, you can tell if it's a Monsoon system by whether you have hatch speakers. The base audio system didn't come with hatch speakers.
I do have the hatch speakers, so therefore it seems i have the monsoon - i always figured the such-equipped cars had the monsoon logo on the head unit, mine just days delco.

Would a 99+ single CD head unit be compatible in my 97? If so then that would be perfect since my CD head unit has fallen to the "Err" plague
Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought a after market alpine deck that has the ipod controls built in. You can check with whitebird00 but a aftermarket deck will power the monsoon system just fine and look alot cleaner without having a bunch of wires running to the 12 volt outlet for a fm mod. It will make the system sound better aswell. I would just replace the old stock deck with new one that supports ipod.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I do have the hatch speakers, so therefore it seems i have the monsoon - i always figured the such-equipped cars had the monsoon logo on the head unit, mine just days delco.
97 was the first year for Monsoon and the head units didn't have the Monsoon label. Even in later years, the only difference between a Monsoon head unit and an ordinary Delco head unit was that label.

Would a 99+ single CD head unit be compatible in my 97? If so then that would be perfect since my CD head unit has fallen to the "Err" plague
Yes, a later f-body head unit will be a direct plug-and-play replacement. The update for compatibility with changers/adapters was made late in the 99 model year and there is no way to tell an early 99 from a late 99 without opening up the HU and looking at the stamp on the circuit board. You should look for a 2000 or newer just to be on the safe side. Actually, an 01 or 02 head unit has even more capabilities - it could handle more than one device attached to the changer port so you could connect both a changer and an auxiliary device (iPod, satellite radio, etc.)

Originally Posted by tasilver
I just bought a after market alpine deck that has the ipod controls built in. You can check with whitebird00 but a aftermarket deck will power the monsoon system just fine and look alot cleaner without having a bunch of wires running to the 12 volt outlet for a fm mod. It will make the system sound better aswell. I would just replace the old stock deck with new one that supports ipod.
Yes, since the Monsoon HU is ordinary, an aftermarket head unit can be installed in a Monsoon system just as easily as in any other car. You gain much cleaner sound (because the factory HU is a distortion machine) and lots more features. It's up to you whether you want to give up the factory look for sound and features. There wouldn't be much difference in cost.

However, if you decide to go with the wired FM modulator, you don't have to worry about lots of wires. The modulator is about the size of a matchbox and has red and black wires for power and ground along with a cable that plugs inline in the antenna cable. The whole thing is easily hidden behind the dash.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

I had a Peripheral installed in mine. I have the Masoon with an in-dash CD player. I lost the use of the 12 disk CD changer but I like the use of my IPood better
Old 02-03-2008, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Default Monsoon.. . .

I have a 2000 Z28 (MONSOON) that I pulled the factory radio in GREAT condition out of. and if anyone wants it I will sell the radio for $50 plus shipping from 30809. I had a previous offer on it b/c its cheaper than buying a new HU and then buying the iPOD adapter which are 42.99! PM me and I can give you more info if interested!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a harmon/kardon drive and play 1 that I use.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1...grab yourslef an alpine...cleaner sound, clean install and no distortion.You will wonder how you ever got along without it.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Default btw.

Just keep in mind though, you can't use your button controls on your Steering wheel anymore though to control the radio.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 2000Z28AUG
Just keep in mind though, you can't use your button controls on your Steering wheel anymore though to control the radio.
Sure you can. There are adapters that are specific to certain makes and models of aftermarket stereos and there is the generic SWI-X adapter that works with almost all head units that have an IR remote.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000Z28AUG
I didn't with mine
Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love my alpine 9857. ipod in the glove box. controls right up front. i like the new ones better though because they scroll
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ
i love my alpine 9857. ipod in the glove box. controls right up front. i like the new ones better though because they scroll
I was thinking he didn't want to go down that road of an aftermarket HU, but I have to agree.. I'm also using a 9857 (until the X100 comes out), and it's so nice to just throw it in the glovebox.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a 1 1/2 Din Pioneer that directly fits and bought the Ipod adapter..works great, Don't get me wrong the Monsoon was good but the sound is still way better with aftermarket.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had heard the pioneer interface was kinda slow when scrolling through playlists/songs/artists, etc.. do you have to wait for it to catch up?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
97 was the first year for Monsoon and the head units didn't have the Monsoon label. Even in later years, the only difference between a Monsoon head unit and an ordinary Delco head unit was that label.
I have a '95 Formula with the 10 speakers. That is not a monsoon? It is a tape deck and not a Cd though. Not that it matters to me, I am installing a full blown aftermarket audio system, just curious.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Prior to 97 and the introduction of the Monsoon, the Camaro and Firebird came with different premium sound systems. Camaros were available with Bose systems that had either three or five speakers depending on model year and option codes (the odd number is due to a sub in the hatch area). Firebirds came with a ten speaker system that was very similar to the Monsoon. The amp was somewhat smaller and it was mounted in the right sail panel below the speaker (next to the rear seat cushion) but the speaker configuration was nearly identical to the Monsoon setup.