Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing front door spreakers with components

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing front door spreakers with components

Ok, I read the FAQ, and it looks like components are what I need, but my question is, my components come with a crossover. Do I use this, or eliminate?

I was reading in the FAQ, where you install some type of resister in front of the tweeter? Im a little confused can someone clarify?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do components but then you have to decide on where to place the seperate tweeter. Camaros have a coaxial mounted tweeter but wire like a set of components with spereate wires for mids and highs. If you do go with components they usually come with a crossover that seperates your mids and highs. The Camaro and trans am have factory crossovers already in place. I have speakers that I carry that work specifically with the Camaro's unique wiring requirements. They start at $89.00 a pair. Here's a link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/808727-kee-audio-holiday-speaker-specials.html
Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
You can do components but then you have to decide on where to place the seperate tweeter. Camaros have a coaxial mounted tweeter but wire like a set of components with spereate wires for mids and highs. If you do go with components they usually come with a crossover that seperates your mids and highs. The Camaro and trans am have factory crossovers already in place. I have speakers that I carry that work specifically with the Camaro's unique wiring requirements. They start at $89.00 a pair. Here's a link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808727
Hey, The set I have are like yours in the sence that the tweeter is in the middle, but unscrews from the woofer.

My main question is, do I use the Kicker crossover? Or just use the factory wires since they are already somewhat set up for components?

Whats the difference in your crossover and the ones I have?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crossovers CDT has are adjustable (as are others in some cases). This allows you to adjust the frequencies how you like them to sound. Some 2-way crossovers are set by the manufacturer to specific settings at one specific frequency range for each mid and tweeter. Most crossovers are also tuned to the speaker they go with so the frequencies are matched to the speakers range.
You can try the factory crossovers/wires through the speakers and just delete the aftermarket crossovers and see how that sounds, most are satisfied with this especially for the midbass portion. My recommendation is to use the crossovers that come with the aftermarket speakers for your highs. This puts the tweeters in the right range that the manufacturer had in mind for those specific tweeters. Since there isn't any info on what the factory crossovers are tuned to I like to utilize the aftermarket ones.
That is probably the best set up for speakers in the Camaro...the "hybrid" components. Without actually going to a full seperate component set this is a very good option. Though the best sound quality would come from the seperate component set.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

The only problem with using the aftermarket cossover is that it is designed to split a single channel into high and low frequency signal. The doors already have separate wiring for high and low frequency. You would have to choose one wire pair or the other to connect to the input side of the crossover. Then you either connect the two crossover outputs to your components (leaving an unused channel and reducing total power output) or you connect one output to the appropriate component and connect the other component directly to the factory wiring (changing the crossover into a simple high-pass or low-pass filter with no slope shaping).

The factory filtering is designed for the shape of the cabin (according to the brochures) rather than the individual speakers, so it may actually produce better overall sound. It's worth a try - you can always add the aftermarket crossover later if you want.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. I will try this out tomorrow if I have time. If not, I am also off Monday. I will let you know what I ended up doing.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

I wired the kickers in today without crossovers, and everything sounds great!

Next project is wiring in the JL 10 my buddy gave me out of his wrecked SS.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

do you have MUD FLAPS on Z28 ! ...NO OFFENCE BUT THATS FIRST
Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by trenz_em
do you have MUD FLAPS on Z28 ! ...NO OFFENCE BUT THATS FIRST
HAHA, my uncle put them on when he bought the car new. No ones ever really noticed them, so I never took them off. Plus they have kept the body in perfect condition. (although I would never put them on myself)