Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Component vs Coaxial

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Component vs Coaxial

Is there really a big difference between the two? Looking to replace some audio this summer when I put my sound deadener in...

I'm not looking for anything an audiophile would have to have. I just want something that will give me clarity and still be able to turn it up because lets face it...dumped duals isn't exactly quiet :chuckles:
Alpine SPR-17S 6 1/2"
Alpine SPR-17C 6 3/4"

Also how much better would these r series be better than the s series? because the s series is about twice as expensive as the r series and if the difference isnt that great I would just go with s series
Alpine SPS-600C 6 1/2"
Alpine SPR-17S 6 1/2"

also since I'm running 2 10" subs in a Qlogic box right now bass is plenty but do I still need my speakers in the sail panels? If I'm not mistaken they are just 6" subs. So would it be beneficial to replace them w/ another midrange speaker? or maybe another component or coaxial speaker or would that be to much higher sound? or can I just get rid of that all together?

I'm not really very knowledgeable about car audio so hang with me. I'm putting either 6.5" component or coaxial speakers in my door, 4" coaxial speakers in the rear, 2 10" infinity subs in my Qlogic box, and a pioneer amp.

Now with an amp you want to get the specs close without overpowering the sub correct? And what are the benefits to running a multi channel amp w/ the speakers?

Last edited by transamws6_97; 03-08-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
Is there really a big difference between the two? Looking to replace some audio this summer when I put my sound deadener in...
Yes..there is generally a big difference. Components >> Coaxials

also since I'm running 2 10" subs in a Qlogic box right now bass is plenty but do I still need my speakers in the sail panels? If I'm not mistaken they are just 6" subs. So would it be beneficial to replace them w/ another midrange speaker? or maybe another component or coaxial speaker or would that be to much higher sound? or can I just get rid of that all together?
If anything, the best use of the sail panel speakers is for midbass. If you REALLY want speakers other than front comps, don't use 4" round in the hatch and go ahead and use a full range speaker in the sails. Remember that you'll need another amp for these or have to pull the hatch wires forward since the Monsoon only outputs low freqs. to the sails. The hatch wires don't have a lot of power, but enough to make a difference and add some rear fill -- if you ever have any passengers back there, they probably wouldn't mind it being on the lower side in volume too. For now - you might as well skip upgrading the hatch and progress from there.

I'm not really very knowledgeable about car audio so hang with me. I'm putting either 6.5" component or coaxial speakers in my door, 4" coaxial speakers in the rear, 2 10" infinity subs in my Qlogic box, and a pioneer amp.
As mentioned - consider dropping the 4" hatch speakers. Go with components - there are some component sets that mount coaxially if you don't want to deal with separate tweeter mounting (CDT has some, eD, MB Quart...there are others) -- I would probably avoid the Alpine components, though I've never heard their "nicer" stuff.

Now with an amp you want to get the specs close without overpowering the sub correct? And what are the benefits to running a multi channel amp w/ the speakers?
Generally want the amp capable of powering the sub at rated power at least -- any amp can be used, even if the sub can't handle it's full load.... you would adjust levels/etc when you set the gain.

Muti-ch amp benefits? As opposed to one channel? You would want 2 channels per pair of speakers to power them, and maintain individual fade/bal controls. A 4 channel amp will allow you to use 2 sets of RCAs, one for front...one for rear as inputs to the amp. If you had two 2ch amps, each would handle either the front or the rear. If you just go with front comps, go for a 2ch amp...if you must have something in the rear, using a 4ch amp would make the install simpler, cleaner, prob more efficient, and one amp will likely to cost less/use less in wires/etc..
Old 03-08-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

well ive been reading up....I'd rather just one a 1 channel amp to power my subs. I just want to run my speakers off the head unit. and even though components are better i read that they really need an amp to power them so I think I'll just go with some decent coaxial...keep in mind I just want something better than stock. I don't need some mondo good system. So if I understand you right I'm better off going w/ a regular speaker in the sail panels and just not getting a 4" in the hatch? and I hardly ever have anyone ride in the back anyways so I'm not to worried about that... I this is pretty much what I've been looking at today

Head unit (want something good to just use with my ipod)
Pioneer iDA-X300

door speakers and sail panel speakers so 2 sets of these
SPR-17C 6 1/2"

2 10"
Infinity 10" Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer

and to power the subs
Pioneer GM-D7400 800W Amp
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

pioneer makes a nice 4 channel for liek 150 on ebay its 60x4 rms i highly recommend it even just for coaxials the gain u get with this over headunit power is huge
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

okay ill check it out thanks a lot guys
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm, if you are planning on getting the Type-R coaxials, I'd strongly recommend amping them. They are a very power hungry speaker, I have them powered with an f450 amp if I remember correctly, and it would do your wallet no justice to purchase them. If you do get them, and amp them you will not be disappointed though, the bass is fantastic, and the highs are clear and bright. I'd go with the Type-S for just running off the head unit. Also look out for this inline amp thing that alpine will be putting out it'll make the Type-S speakers really shine, and It' supposed to be really cheap.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
Umm, if you are planning on getting the Type-R coaxials, I'd strongly recommend amping them. They are a very power hungry speaker, I have them powered with an f450 amp if I remember correctly, and it would do your wallet no justice to purchase them. If you do get them, and amp them you will not be disappointed though, the bass is fantastic, and the highs are clear and bright. I'd go with the Type-S for just running off the head unit. Also look out for this inline amp thing that alpine will be putting out it'll make the Type-S speakers really shine, and It' supposed to be really cheap.
well I just bought the Alpine head unit its the iDA-X300 and only has one set of preamps...so can you run two amps off of one set of preamps? in series or parallel?
Old 03-11-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well I just bought the Alpine head unit its the iDA-X300 and only has one set of preamps...so can you run two amps off of one set of preamps? in series or parallel?
A lot of amps will have an output to run to another amp. If you haven't bought the amp yet, Alpine has a new 5 channel out that is really nice called the Alpine PDX-5. 75wx4 and 300wx1, it'd be worth checking out. It's like 600 bucks though and only crutchfield has it. So not sure if it's in your budget. Just remember that it takes the place of TWO amps.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on what whitestripes said about amping the type r coaxials. I have a set in the doors and was so dissapointed when i bout them. Off the monsoon amp=crap. No power at all and clipped at any volume higher like halfway. I tried running them off my alpine w200 and they sounded even worse. I put the Alpine MRP-T220 amp in to power them and it sounds awesome now! was only $115 shipped and gives them 50watts rms a piece i believe. But even just 50watts make them sound super clean and you wouldnt believe the difference over stock!