Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security Light came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Security Light came on

Ok, i tried posting this in general repair q's. I have decided to post it here also for more exposure, and since I didnt really know where to post it. Here is a summary of the thread I posted in the general repair.

My original post:

Anyone have an ideas about the security light? I think the contacts between the key and tumbler may be dirty. I havent had any trouble starting it, but it stays on now. Is this a forewarning that it may need a new key, and i know there is a way to bypass the chip by using a resistor. I guess I when we get to that bridge I will cross it, but for now is there any other things I can check or be reset?

2nd post
I tried cleaning the key and assymbly, even tried the spare key (Wich I dont think has even been used before) and I get the same results. I have an afetrmarket remote start, but thats been on there for at least 2 years and I dont think that would have caused it.

3rd post
I just checked with a friend locally, and he said they would have to disable the vats to install the remote start, so i guess the answer is yes. I guess my issues arent going to effect the starting of the car, so i guess that could be a relief right? Now I just need to remove the annoying bulb or fix it somehow. Can it be deleted with ls1 edit or some other program?

4th post
Ok, well, now its come to the point where the car will not start. I just started it earlier to do in an oil change, i backed up the car in my driveway. I shut it off, and got my ramps positioned. When I went to start the car "nothing". I was like "wtf?" So, I decided to try and remote start it and it worked. I put the key in and it was all good.Then i turned it off and tried manually starting it. Nothing. So, I guess my car only starts when i remote start it. Whats up with that? I think we have already established that the guys who installed the alarm/remote start bypassed the vats system. Any clues? I have already tried using my spare key, to no avail.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts

The VATS system must have been bypassed during the installation of the remote start so the key you use makes no difference - other than mechanically turning the ignition cylinder, it's not involved in the start process at all.

According to the owner's manual, if the security light goes on and stays on when driving then there is a problem with the VATS system but your car should still start. (Really helpful information...I know).

There are only two things involved in the VATS system in your car - the BCM and the resistor(s) used to bypass the ignition cylinder. I would check that the resistor is still good and securely connected to the wires. You should find it at the base of the steering column connected to two wires in an orange sheath.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, thats the best answer I have had thus far. I have pictures with the under dash removed. Can you point to the wires I need to check?
Attached Thumbnails Security Light came on-under-dash1.jpg   Security Light came on-under-dash2.jpg   Security Light came on-under-dash3.jpg   Security Light came on-under-dash4.jpg   Security Light came on-under-dash5.jpg  

Old 03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I don't see the wires in those pictures. However, that clear plastic box zip-tied to the support could be a VATS bypass kit (I've never used one - I always just buy the 50 cent resistors and make my own). It's certainly not a factory item so I would check to see if it's securely connected to a pair of wires in an orange sheath farther down the column.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Mine wouldn't start with the vats resistor bypassed. I ended up having to tune out vats in the pcm. Security light still comes on with mine. Starter function was still disabled so I just put in a handy dandy hidden start button. Could easily restore key start but I like the button.

Sounds to me like the BCM has been bypassed like mine.

Has the light always came on?
Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
Mine wouldn't start with the vats resistor bypassed. I ended up having to tune out vats in the pcm. Security light still comes on with mine. Starter function was still disabled so I just put in a handy dandy hidden start button. Could easily restore key start but I like the button.

Sounds to me like the BCM has been bypassed like mine.

Has the light always came on?
No it just started like a week ago. It was starting and staying on at the time. Now it will not manually start. I can only start it with remote start.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I don't see the wires in those pictures. However, that clear plastic box zip-tied to the support could be a VATS bypass kit (I've never used one - I always just buy the 50 cent resistors and make my own). It's certainly not a factory item so I would check to see if it's securely connected to a pair of wires in an orange sheath farther down the column.
Oh, by the way, that clear box is a shock sensor and only connects to the viper alarm box.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

I am posting a circled pic of what i saw might be the orange wire you are talking about. I unwrapped the electrical tape that was on it, but it looks more like a solder than a resistor?
Attached Thumbnails Security Light came on-dscf0025.jpg  
Old 03-11-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as vats goes etc depending on how it was all wired up there is a high possiability that when u remote start the vats is bypassed and simulated to start the car but when u try to start with the key its readying the resistor in the key
Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
As far as vats goes etc depending on how it was all wired up there is a high possiability that when u remote start the vats is bypassed and simulated to start the car but when u try to start with the key its readying the resistor in the key
See, thats what I was thinking. However, I have a spare key, and when I tried using it, it doesnt work either. What are the chances of having two bad keys?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by LS1Formula98
I am posting a circled pic of what i saw might be the orange wire you are talking about. I unwrapped the electrical tape that was on it, but it looks more like a solder than a resistor?
It's not an orange wire - it's two wires (white with black and purple with white) that are wrapped together in an orange cover.

See, thats what I was thinking. However, I have a spare key, and when I tried using it, it doesnt work either. What are the chances of having two bad keys?
Next to none. However, it's possible that the contacts in the ignition cylinder are grimy or worn to the point where they no longer make good contact with the key pellet.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

It's not an orange wire - it's two wires (white with black and purple with white) that are wrapped together in an orange cover.

Next to none. However, it's possible that the contacts in the ignition cylinder are grimy or worn to the point where they no longer make good contact with the key pellet.
Are these the wires you speak of?

Also, can anyone tell me how to remove the steering column, so I can check the contacts? Or if there is something I can use to blow out the contacts without removing the steering column sleeve?
Attached Thumbnails Security Light came on-dscf0027.jpg   Security Light came on-dscf0028.jpg  

Last edited by LS1Formula98; 03-12-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, those are the wires. However, it's really a moot point since the remote starter works - it wouldn't work if the VATS bypass was causing the problem.

You can clean the ignition cylinder contacts with some spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Spray it in the key slot (it evaporates quickly) and insert/remove your key several times to wipe off any accumulated grime.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, those are the wires. However, it's really a moot point since the remote starter works - it wouldn't work if the VATS bypass was causing the problem.

You can clean the ignition cylinder contacts with some spray contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Spray it in the key slot (it evaporates quickly) and insert/remove your key several times to wipe off any accumulated grime.
Ok, I will try that first. If not, I am reading my manual on how to remove the steering wheel.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have the viper alarm just like I do and I have had a similar problem.

My light would come on but nothing would happen...it would stay on a few days then I would try to start it and it wouldnt start with the key all of a sudden. I would wait 5 minutes the it would start and the light would be off. It has done this twice in the year and a half I have had the alarm but doesnt really bother me. Must be something in the system since we both have the problem.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

OK, let me get everyone up to speed. So just spraying the contact spray didnt work. I continued to the next step wich was removing the steering wheel to get to the cylinder. Well after a couple of trips to vatozone and a couple of tools later, I got the steering wheel removed. I get to the cylinder and pull it out, low and behold one of the two thin white wires is sheared off. I guess from years of use and a freak accident it just sheared off. The other was still connected. Instead of buying a whole new cyliner ($50 cause mines an auto) I just picked up some 20 gauge wire and soldered it back on to complete the connection. So far so good. So if anyone else has this problem and has a remote start and is having the same systems you may want to check the cylinder, because what happened to me could have happened to you (MrElectric03). Thanks for all the responses.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

i posted a thread similiar to this a awhile back..my security light came on..had no idea why..tried cleaning the key..anyways its probably been 6 months since...my car turns on and runs fine..have had no problems..have kinda just learned to ignore the stupid SECURITY light...but i wouldnt mind if i could fixed..hopefully it wont leave me stranded one day...should i try that spray or watever from radio shack???
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to know you found it...I havent had problems with it in a while but I will keep that in mind if I do.Thanks!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, let me get everyone up to speed. So just spraying the contact spray didnt work. I continued to the next step wich was removing the steering wheel to get to the cylinder. Well after a couple of trips to vatozone and a couple of tools later, I got the steering wheel removed. I get to the cylinder and pull it out, low and behold one of the two thin white wires is sheared off. I guess from years of use and a freak accident it just sheared off. The other was still connected. Instead of buying a whole new cyliner ($50 cause mines an auto) I just picked up some 20 gauge wire and soldered it back on to complete the connection. So far so good. So if anyone else has this problem and has a remote start and is having the same systems you may want to check the cylinder, because what happened to me could have happened to you (MrElectric03). Thanks for all the responses.
Good post,

I'm having the exact same problem with my g/f's 2000 trans am. Only thing is, that it never had a security problem till a few weeks after the remote start was installed, just a little odd timing to me. The security light is on all the time now, and it wont start with the key ,only if you remote start it first.

Quick Reply: Security Light came on