Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Home audio ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Home audio ????'s

Looking to get a reciever, two huge tower speakers, and maybe a sub.

My main goal with this system is to jam my heavy metal exteremely clean and loud(Dragonforce, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Testament, Hammerfall, Job for a Cowboy, Arch Enemy, Vader, etc) I'll have the speakers by the tv, so I can use it for movies as well. I also plan to hook up the computer.

The way the rooms and my furniture is arranged in my apartment rules out surround sound. Kind of hard to get surround sound when your kitchen, dining rooom, and living room are all open. There are literally 15 different walls and corners in this one room.

My budget is around $750. Just wanting to get the best bang for the buck. Wondering if I should invest my $$$ in speakers or reciever. Do I even need to get a sub if I'm running massive tower speakers with 8" woofers?

My main goal is sound quality, with the correct balance of treble, midbass, and bass. Right now I can't crank it to 100db without pissing off my neighbors, but I probably will a few times

I know this is a car audio forum. Lock it if you must, but I figured there were more than a few auidophile's hanging around in here with good advice. PM if you don't want to clutter up the forum. Thanks, Aaron
Old 04-24-2008, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not a whole lot of budget even for a decent receiver. I went with a little inflated budget and put the following in my house:

- Three DefTech Mythos 8's in the front around the flat panel $1800
- Two BP1X Bipolar surrounds in the rear $500
- One Parts Express 15" Titanic subwoofer kit with 1000W amp $560
- Onkyo 605 Receiver $399

$3260 which is pretty expensive but it is amazing. Movies and music like no other and it will pound to the point stuff in the kitchen falls on the floor. I can't play it up!

With that budget try for an Okyo all-in-one. Results won't be the same though and that is why I went the direction I did.

Here is a clip of the sub playing (not all the way up) before I made a cover to hide it and put the wires under the floor: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=22903328
Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Invest as much as you can in your speakers. They are FAR more important than the receiver. I'd try to get used equipment for this budget, or you can try to find clearance Boston Acoustic at CC or Polk at Fry's/Outpost.

Don't go for Onkyo - they have the right features but they have SEVERE heat problems (even if Intercooler happens to respond and say he doesn't, feel free to verify, because MANY people do. Google for Onkyo 605 overheating or Onkyo 605 popping. The popping sound is due to overheating.). Yamaha is a better choice of brand. However, for your budget, I'd go for a ~$150 Pioneer. You won't get fancy features like HDMI, but you can't ask for much at that budget.

Depending on what speakers you choose, you might be able to pick up a Dayton SUB100 (Google it, I've had the link to the site removed before by the request of someone here, even though they don't do much in the way of car audio <_<). It's an entry level sub, but it's GREAT for the price.

You can also try for some high quality bookshelves from av123, Ascend, Home Theater Direct, or TheAudioInsider. Most of them will be able to rock out quite well when paired with the SUB100. Some of the sites have a satisfaction guarantee, too, so you can send them back for a refund if you don't like them.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I could defintely buy craigslist used stuff, if I listened to it before I bought it.

Hi-fi buys(my local electronics store) has a mega sale about every quarter. I'm talking 1/4 to 3/4 off their regular prices when they have this sale.

I'll head on over there, listen and post . . . .
Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll probably have to stretch the budget bit...
For myself I went with a factory refurbed Harmon Kardon reciever off of ebay to save some money. I've had the reciever for a couple of years and there's nothing that would indicate it's a refurb. I've not looked lately but if you go that route my guess is you could get a nice refurb in the $300-$400 dollar range.

$400.00 for a pair of decent speakers is fairly hard...

You could try to find Athena AS-F2 speakers which were fairly well thought of. Athena had a decent following for good afordable speakers until Klipsch bought out the parent company Energy.

I'm not sure what generally was thought of the Infinity beta series but if you could find refurbed infinity beta 40 or beta 50's at a decent price they could be an option.

Axiom's M22 as a book shelf could be an option but then you're definately going to need a Sub woofer.

As far a subs go I'm a big fan of HSU subs for a music/theater setup.
SVS subs are another nice brand but I'd look at them mainly for theater subs. For a decent entry level sub I'd expect to pay $400.00+

Take it easy
Brewski
Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should state that ultimate decibals is not my goal. I currently live in an apartment complex, and I know I would drive my neighbors batty with a 1000w system. Maybe I don't need a really high power receiver, but I want the ultimate in sound quality. Maybe some high end speakers that work well with a low or high wattage reciever.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I spent your whole budget and more on my receiver . . . I won't even go into my speakers . . .

Low end power + High end speakers = low end sound . . . No matter how good the speaker is it can't make up for pour power . .

High end power though low end speakers = better sound.

Bigger speakers do not alway mean bigger and better sound either . . . A nice sub can fill in for some smaller speakers.

I have a nice used Onkyo receiver available / with owners manual remote and original box.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

PM Sent!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

I read all about the 605 problem. Never a pop or problem here though. I have mine in the basement on shelf system where I hit them all with a Harmony remote from the LR. It puts out some heat but never a problem and OOOOOOOOH the sounds from watching 5.1 is amazing. I keep Pearl Harbor on tap just to show off when people come over

That budget kills but a package deal would still be best unless you go used. I hate used stuff though so that is just me!
Old 04-24-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I spent your whole budget and more on my receiver . . . I won't even go into my speakers . . .
Heh, me too. I have a Pio Elite 91, and I don't even use it on my front speakers. I'd have bought a Yamaha RX-V663 I think if it had been out at the time though.

As far as the "low end power," a bigger receiver won't sound better, and even if my receiver (which can realistically push a little under 100W/chan all channels driven) had 20-30w/chan more than the cheap ones, that's 1-2dB.

OP, you really need to spend most of your money on speakers. Here are some links that show that you don't need an expensive amp to get great sound:

http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/rece...d-quality.aspx
http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf

Anyone who says you need an expensive receiver (or even worse (as in waste of money), separates) needs to do a proper double-blind ABX test with level-matched components like the one mentioned in my first link.

Last edited by dragonrage; 04-24-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Speakers are to a sound system what wheels are to a car. They make it!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

i work in hometheater and a set of definitive technologies are an extremly nice set i would also possible look at a ste of Martin Logans if you can find them for a decent price.another set of nice speakers are Klipsh they will use the lowest amount of watts to create excellent sound they are very efficient. as far as recivers go look for one with a fairly nice audio processor in it such as the Denon series or a pioneer elite. with a budget of $750 alot can be had as long as found for a nice price. but keep in mind that speakers are not cheap.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

I went slightly over budget on the first but here's a couple example systems:

HK AVR-340 reciever refurb ~175.00
Pair of Infinity Beta 50 tower speakers $600.00
or
PSB Alpha T1s
av123 x-mtm encore Tower Loudspeaker (I'v not heard this speaker but AV123 high end lines are well thought of so could be a good one to try out)

That would give you the start of a system that you could expand later should you end up wanting to add other speakers as you have more room for a home theater.

Also came across Klipsch RF15 Floors,Harman AVR230 Receiver monster cable for $730.00 shipped if going the used route.

Take it easy
Brewski

Last edited by Brewski; 04-24-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: psb alpha T1 also av123 tower
Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stevema10631
i work in hometheater and a set of definitive technologies are an extremly nice set i would also possible look at a ste of Martin Logans if you can find them for a decent price.another set of nice speakers are Klipsh they will use the lowest amount of watts to create excellent sound they are very efficient. as far as recivers go look for one with a fairly nice audio processor in it such as the Denon series or a pioneer elite. with a budget of $750 alot can be had as long as found for a nice price. but keep in mind that speakers are not cheap.
I don't recommend any of the above. None of them are budget brands. Even if you can find stuff that comes near your budget, they will be the absolute lowest stuff from the brand and will probably not be up to par with other brands you can get.

Also, definitely no to Klipsch without hearing them for at LEAST an hour straight. They are VERY bright. They're like Infinity car speakers. Some people love them, but just as many can't stand them.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Also, definitely no to Klipsch without hearing them for at LEAST an hour straight. They are VERY bright. They're like Infinity car speakers. Some people love them, but just as many can't stand them.
I have to agree with you on the Klipsch Some people absolutely love them the majority of the time I find them piercing on high notes. I have a pair of athena's AS-F2s in my home theater set up that I might eventually upgrade but I think they're going to keep me happy for a fairly long time.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

if it were me in your situation, and your main concern right now was just stereo sound instead of surround sound, i'd get a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 60's for around $460/pr + S&H, then spend the remaining $250 - $275 or so on a decent surround sound receiver....around that price range, Sony will likely have more features for the price, and still sound pretty good.....not audiophile-grade good, but paired with those Polk speakers, definitely good enough for 95% of the people out there.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 AM
11 Second Club

The Polks are good. Like he said maybe a used or refurb receiver off E-Gay