Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
View Poll Results: What Stereo?
Sell my PAX Sony/Pioneer Controller, and get the Alpine 9885($299)
0%
Sell my PAX Sony/Pioneer Controller, and get the Alpine 9886 along with Imprint($349)
0%
Sell my PAX Sony/Pioneer Controller, and get the Alpine 9887 along with Imprint($449)
0%
get the Pioneer 9800BT, it has bluetooth, and a couple other features the 7800mp did not have($429)
50.00%
Sell the Crutchfield gift cards on ebay, it should cover most of the cost of the Pioneer 800PRS
50.00%
Sell my PAX Sony/Pioneer Controller, and get the Kenwood X692($229)
0%
Sell my PAX Sony/Pioneer Controller, and get the Kenwood X792($299)
0%
Sell my PAX Sony/Pioneer Controller, and get the Eclipse 3200($279)
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

I got 360 in gift cards for Crutchfield, but I want a DEH-P800PRS

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got $360 in gift cards for Crutchfield, but I want a DEH-P800PRS

My current headunit, a pioneer 7800mp, is failing. Crutchfield has already repaired the headunit once, so this second time, they gave me a store credit to get a new headunit.

I have already asked them to order a DEH-P800PRS, but they said they cannot because Premier is a retail store only product. I even called the retail crutchfield stores in Virginia, and they tell me its cost prohibitive for them to order me one. I found this strange as my local stereo stores, Earmark and Car Toys had no problem ordering anything from any of their vendors. Anyways I really feel like dumping the gift cards on ebay, otherwise my options are Alpine 9885, 9886, 9887, Pioneer 9800BT, Kenwood X692, X792, and maybe Eclipse 3200. I do like Alpine, but I already have the stereo wheel controller for the Pioneer/Sony, not yet installed, and I am not sure about the Imprint package that you must buy separately(rent from Crutchfield).

I do not like the new selection of Pioneer headunits; that new dial(rotary commander) was a big mistake by them. So whats my best solution

And I made a mistake on the poll, the 9885 should be 249.

Here is a comparsion of the models, excluding the 800PRS
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...ems=130DEHP980
Here is the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...er/DEH-P800PRS

Last edited by kny3twalker; 05-03-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the 800 IMO.... not sure what makes it worth the $100 over the 880 though (should in the end be near Crutchfield's price for the CDA-9887).. The copper chassis looks cool and may help w/ RCA noise, but other than that I think it's just cosmetics.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

the 800, other than the copper chassis, has more expandability like Bluetooth, USB, HD radio where as the 880 is limited on expansion. I am curious though as to whats the differences between the 9800BT and the 800PRS? other than looks of course.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kny3twalker
the 800, other than the copper chassis, has more expandability like Bluetooth, USB, HD radio where as the 880 is limited on expansion. I am curious though as to whats the differences between the 9800BT and the 800PRS? other than looks of course.
That's true I guess - I always forget (actually kinda ignore) the Bluetooth and HD radio stuff since I haven't ever really looked at HD availability and preferred SQ over features like Bluetooth (but if the 800 existed before I bought my 880 I would have chosen that instead). Still need external adapters for everything on the 800 though, but can at least expand if really desired. USB would be nice, too bad 880 and 800 both need external adapters.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am curious though as to whats the differences between the 9800BT and the 800PRS? other than looks of course.
From what I see:

GEQ Equalizer
CD S/N: 105 dB

9800BT
EEQ, BBE Equalizer
CD S/N: 94 dB

---

Other than that, expandability differs.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fredmr39
From what I see:

GEQ Equalizer
CD S/N: 105 dB

9800BT
EEQ, BBE Equalizer
CD S/N: 94 dB

---

Other than that, expandability differs.
what does all that mean? I do though know what BBE(sound processing, worthless, IMO) and GEQ(Graphic EQ) are, but whats EEQ?. And I think I understand Signal to Noise, but not sure how much better 105 db is versus 94 db?

Thanks

EDIT: EEQ is Easy EQ, who would have thought?

Last edited by kny3twalker; 05-03-2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

http://cgi.ebay.com/AS-IS-Pioneer-DE...QQcmdZViewItem

well this definitely make me think twice about the 9800bt, about the same issue I am having but apparently that one has a completely dead screen
Old 05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea - only problem with some 880s is RCA grounds (which can be fixed)... 800 might have resolved that issue.

The other model is nice if you're info fancy screens/etc though -- the 880/800 is the one of the best SQ HUs on the market.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

My recently needed a new HU as my current headunit wasn't playing CD's anymore(laser fried I think). Anyways I narrowed it down to the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS and Alpine 9887 w/Imprint. Unfortunately I ran into the same problem that you did which is Pioneer will not let any online vendors sell the Premier series and limits its authorized retail dealers to be very selective on who it will let sell the Premier series(need to sell a lot of volume to carry them). So, basically the only way I could buy the Pioneer unit would be to get it from a non-authorized dealer(which voids the 2 year warranty). So I went with the Alpine 9887 w/Imprint($399 from a local retailer). I like the 9887 as everything is crystal clear but the only drawback is you need a lot of power to really appreciate it(or at least I do as I have a convertible). Also it is not very user friendly if you don't know a lot about car stereos. In other words, you have control over so many different variables, but unless you truly understand those variables and how to best set them it can get confusing; although using the imprint takes most of those variables out of the equation since you can only control bass, treble, and subwoofer when using the imprint curve. Anyways, I would go with the Alpine as long as you have enough power, especially to the subwoofers as it is very conservative on the bass.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by muscle96ss
My recently needed a new HU as my current headunit wasn't playing CD's anymore(laser fried I think). Anyways I narrowed it down to the Pioneer DEH-P800PRS and Alpine 9887 w/Imprint. Unfortunately I ran into the same problem that you did which is Pioneer will not let any online vendors sell the Premier series and limits its authorized retail dealers to be very selective on who it will let sell the Premier series(need to sell a lot of volume to carry them). So, basically the only way I could buy the Pioneer unit would be to get it from a non-authorized dealer(which voids the 2 year warranty). So I went with the Alpine 9887 w/Imprint($399 from a local retailer). I like the 9887 as everything is crystal clear but the only drawback is you need a lot of power to really appreciate it(or at least I do as I have a convertible). Also it is not very user friendly if you don't know a lot about car stereos. In other words, you have control over so many different variables, but unless you truly understand those variables and how to best set them it can get confusing; although using the imprint takes most of those variables out of the equation since you can only control bass, treble, and subwoofer when using the imprint curve. Anyways, I would go with the Alpine as long as you have enough power, especially to the subwoofers as it is very conservative on the bass.
so you got the imprint kit included for 399?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...7&i=500KTX100E

are you running active or passive? and since I cannot word my questions well; I mean are you using the 9887 as your crossover or using passive crossovers?
Further what all does imprint unlock? As far as I could tell, its just the treble and bass controls. And what does the imprint actually do: time adjustments, etc...?
Old 05-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Teching In

so you got the imprint kit included for 399?
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...7&i=500KTX100E

are you running active or passive? and since I cannot word my questions well; I mean are you using the 9887 as your crossover or using passive crossovers?
Further what all does imprint unlock? As far as I could tell, its just the treble and bass controls. And what does the imprint actually do: time adjustments, etc...?
The place that I bought the HU from did the install as well(they installed the original system in the car 5 years ago). They have the imprint software on a laptop and set it up for me. I guess you can store 2 curves in the deck so they are going to redo it and add a 2nd curve when I swap out my subwoofers in a couple of weeks. I am currently using the crossover from the amps but am looking into what is going to be the best way to do it when we redo everything in a couple of weeks. If you check out the instruction manual for the 9887 it shows you all the different variables that the imprint controls. It is quite extensive and would be real difficult if you were to try and do everything manually instead of using imprint. Many have tried thus far and the concensus is that no matter how good you are the imprint does it better. Here is a link to the instruction manual for the 9887 from the Alpine website:

http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products...M_CDA-9887.PDF
Old 05-04-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

well I figured you were either using the amp or headunit for the low pass filter and high pass filter(subs vs (mids & highs)), but what I was wondering is are you running your mids and highs active or passive? Passive is where you use the small crossover included with 2 ways/3 ways/components, and active is where each speaker is ran on an independent channel of an amp and the headunit acts as the crossover. Active obviously gives much more control and probably would be convenient if the imprint software would set this up.

Otherwise that sounds like an excellent price. I really wish their wish an easy way to get rid of these gift cards, but I do not have my sub yet nor an amp for it. So I really do need something where I can adjust the configuration in the future.

I am going to check out the manuals for the 9887 and 9886 though.

Quick Reply: I got 360 in gift cards for Crutchfield, but I want a DEH-P800PRS