Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Dissapointed in the DBs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I have clipping problem, because from the article I have read if the gain is up to high the sound is disstored. The bass in the car is clear with no breaking up. Also the I have adjusted the gain forwards and backwards and there is anoticable differance in the amount of thumping. Tonight I am going to try the window up idea and the subwoofer +15 I hope I **** off the neibhoors. Thank you guys for all of your input on my situation. As soon as find out what the dbs are I will post up. Keep posting if any other info.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSean
... Tonight I am going to try the window up idea and the subwoofer +15 I hope I **** off the neibhoors [sic]...
I assume you're kidding because anyone who deliberately turns up their system to annoy others is an *******.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first of all, two twelves sealed isnt going to get you too much, despite the great speakers, its all about moving air, and a ported box is about the only way to go. I custom built mine, ill get pics sometime soon. i just put a ported 15 audiopipe in my z and it rocks pretty hard. i have a dual 12 ported box, but i took it out because i blew one of my alpine s's, i put a guy with dual sealed 15" rockford (power) T1's to shame, he could hear my 12's over his, and i was a car behind him. i had the port too big for my speakers.
you could probably push more power into those r's, theyre 500 rms and 1500 peak, but idk what your amp can do, i was pushing about 600 rms and supposidly 1200 peak each into my two 12" s's, my amp shakes too much though and it made my bass boost go up, and distorted the speakers, and blew them.

dont crank up the gain, it will distort them and destroy the speaker.
either make your own, or get someone to make you a ported box. i have my one i can show you, it was great, just too big of a port, also do some research into tuning it, realmofexcursion.com has a lot of info, check out their forums.

ill answer anything else u want to know, just pm me

good luck
Mark
Old 05-29-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I heard that for every db the sound is ten times louder.
I believe you're getting your dbs mixed up with the richter scale.

3 decibels is what humans perceive as a "noticeable difference." 10 decibels would be actually "twice as loud."

There are different types of meters to measure different frequency ranges. It is possible your father bought a type of meter that is not usable for db drag racing. I had three Fosgate 10"s with 1,000RMS in a sealed box doing 145's at several different runs. I'm positive two 12" Type-Rs should be in the 140's.

As for all this gain/clipping talk, keep the gain where it is. With the gain currently at 3/4, without me even asking what headunit you're using, I can clearly say you're getting 1,000RMS out of that amp. You're only asking for trouble by metering your system with the gain/bass boost cranked.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I assume you're kidding because anyone who deliberately turns up their system to annoy others is an *******.
I would never turn up the system to annoy anyone. If you read a earlier post you would have read that. But my neibhoors are ******* in themsleves they call the cop for all kinds of stupid things and plus the noise ordiance is until 800 any way plenty of time to make some noise. Also if you do it in my house pepole that hear knows what I have and might camoe and try to take it. So in my best interset I will take it down the Hwy
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by firebirdude
I believe you're getting your dbs mixed up with the richter scale.

3 decibels is what humans perceive as a "noticeable difference." 10 decibels would be actually "twice as loud."

There are different types of meters to measure different frequency ranges. It is possible your father bought a type of meter that is not usable for db drag racing. I had three Fosgate 10"s with 1,000RMS in a sealed box doing 145's at several different runs. I'm positive two 12" Type-Rs should be in the 140's.

As for all this gain/clipping talk, keep the gain where it is. With the gain currently at 3/4, without me even asking what headunit you're using, I can clearly say you're getting 1,000RMS out of that amp. You're only asking for trouble by metering your system with the gain/bass boost cranked.
The amp is 1000 watts rms to one channel and 500 rms to two channel. The speakers are 500 rms each so the amp goes perfectly with the speakers. I am not making a nother boxl. The one box that is in there now I built from scracth from fiber glass. Never again would I build another one it takes to much time/alot of sanding. It looks good tho. I would love to see the box that you made it might insprie me to make a other one. Thanks Mark for the comment and suggestions
-Sean-
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

i was talking wood, its heavy as hell but sounds great. idk what my whole system weights but it makes the car sag lol. 140 db is damn loud, most competition systems are in 150's and 160's, and most meters unless u have a professional one only go to like 136.

your box is really about all u can do to make it louder, unless u amp up which is pointless. doubling your power will only give u a 3db increase, plus u'll be out a bit of cash. a ported box buit to spec will do about the same, but if you build it right you can get more, but then you go into problems with porting it to the right hz. its hard to have loud and good sound, but if you put the researh into it you can do it
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

The box I do belive is built to spec for the speakers,but not ported. Firebirdude was saying the db reader may not be meant for bass reading, and can be off 7to8 db. I am going to call the local sound shop and see if they have a professional reader that I can use. I am sure they can tell me if the speakers and stuff are working right or they are going to blow up. From what has been written in this thread moving from 120's to the 140 is going to out of reach. Maybe I was exepting to much out of the system. Never the less the system is still f ing loud and makes the ******** turn theres down. What I can't fathem though is that 1 10 subwoofer in S10 is make damn close to what two 12 are? Is that cause the S10 has less interior room?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll probably get a nice gain from rolling the windows up. 140's is really loud. I was happy for a long time with subs at like 128 or so. You might even find yourself in the 130's with the windows up.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Now that I came to the conclusion that 140 is out of the window 130 is the goal now. I talked to the audio shop and they can't perdict to what a system would do. They are going to charge me 15 buck to hook up a real db meter. They also said they do not do any tunning of freq. or any other adjustments to the amp or the speakers. Hatchetman337 was the 128 in the WS6 or in the truck?

Does anyone know were to get a good quality bass CD for the testing?
Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, neither. It was in my old 01 Grand Prix. Obviously no hatch in that thing, so it was going straight through the seat. That was two 12" Kicker Comps (the old style ones). So, your type-R's should be louder than that. I don't have a sub in my ws6 yet, but I probably will before the end of the summer.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Play test tones, with the windows up, on a real meter.... and I'm sure you'll be all over that 138-140db mark on the dash.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by firebirdude
Play test tones, with the windows up, on a real meter.... and I'm sure you'll be all over that 138-140db mark on the dash.
What are test tones? and were can I get them?
I have a old bass Cd it has somthing on it call a woffer excurtion test is that the same thing.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Go to caraudio.com and read read read and especially burping. You will find all your answers and more.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Well I have some new numbers. I got what I was looking for and then some more. Big thanks to Intercooler2 for the link to the website. It helped with Frequncey and tunning. Base line was 122 from before. Moved the windows up 3/4 way up gained 123 not to big of a gain, closed the window moved to 129. Adjusted the subwoofer from +12 to +15. I hit 130. Then though the website I started to mess with freq. and gain. The reader would spike 135 at times and hold 132 constant with the same old bass cd. I am happy with the results now. Time for some sound deadner. cause I think the damn spoiler is going to fall off, plus the seller of the mat said one layer would increase the 3db and two layer would go up 7 to 8db. I am so happy. And for all of you that are going to ask the system is turned back down to like 125 plenty loud. Thanks for all the help and support
-Sean-
Old 05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Test tones are just tracks with a single frequency/perfect sine wave. An example might be that track number 1 is 1Hz played for 10 seconds. Track 2 is 2Hz played for 10 seconds....etc etc. You will likely want the range from about 48Hz-58Hz. Play with a few of those frequencies until you find the cycle or two that meters the loudest.

Many bass CDs have these on them. Such as this one (scroll through track list):
http://www.amazon.com/Quad-Maximus-B...2155055&sr=8-2

Or you can try to download this software and make your own on CD-R:
http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a little skeptical about gaining 3db from a layer of deadener, but it'll make some difference. Glad you're happy now.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

It's a selling point you know!
Old 05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus the seller of the mat said one layer would increase the 3db and two layer would go up 7 to 8db.
-Sean-
I call BS on that one no way u will gain that much
Old 05-30-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Just down load some test tone from here , then burn them to a cd or load them on to a flash drive .

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm