Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing spkrs in sail panels - how do I remove the panels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing spkrs in sail panels - how do I remove the panels?

What do I know to safely take an interior sail panel off so's I can put it back on again? I'm nervous about even playing in this space - I'm guessing there's plastic clips which I'm not going to find till I break them...

Thanks! I suspect I can work out the speaker replacement with stuff I can find already, but I don't know how to get the panels off and on again.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a my WS6, I just popped it out from the bottom of the speaker grille. I don't know bout Camaros. I don't you have to remove the whole panel.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

you can install it by just taking off the grill -- it takes forever but ive done it before, so its not impossible
Old 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

ive never removed the panels to do it
Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah on my WS6 the plastic grill just pops out and the speaker is right there? Not sure how the inside of a camaro is o.O anyone got pics?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

if i remember right. i had to remove the rear panels and the plastic piece that runs along side the front seats. then pop off the close hanger things on each side and just wiggle it around. sorry for it not being a very vivid description, it's been a little while i do know its not fun though haha
Old 06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

on every 4th gen ive ever done (and ive done my fair share) the panels didnt have to be removed u just popped the grills off
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^Same here. Simply pop the grill of and go from there. Removing the entire sail panel is not necessary unless your doing dynamat or something extra. That being said I have run into some sail panels that were glued into place from the manufacturer. Not all F-bodies were like this but whoever was on the production line that day I guess decided to do this to a few cars out there. The grill will still come off just apply a little more pressure to break the adhesive. It will not damage the plastic.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

It was very difficult to install my eD oversized speakers in the sail panels without removing the panels. I ended up just taking them out last night and the panels are very easy to remove.

1- Remove hook on top of the panel by carefully prying out the square clip. The clip is long. Once out, the hook comes off easy.

2- Remove one screw at the bottom where it meets the door sill trim

3- Remove black cover/mount at the T-top (remove t-top to access two screws)

4- Pull panel away from door weatherstrip. There's several heavy duty hook & loop fasteners that need to be pulled off as well (you'll feel it)

5- Separate sail panels from rear panels. They kind of hook into each other.

6- Pull panel towards the front of the car and out. Tilt rear seat down a little, you'll see where the seat striker is. The panel slides onto that, so make sure it's clearing that striker as well as the giant washer attached to it.

Took me all of 5 minutes to remove the panels. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: Replacing spkrs in sail panels - how do I remove the panels?