Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subs not thumpin hard....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Subs not thumpin hard....

My sound system isnt thumping hard anymore. It used to rattle everything, i would see my mirror's shaking & just hear the hatch rattling when standing outside of it and now nothing. It still get's power to the subs, they just arent hitting hard like they should for 2 12"s.

What could be the problem?? Did i blow the subs?? Ive checked all the wiring and everything seems good, nothing was loose or disconnected. I know the connection on the box, where you connect the speaker wire to and then goes to the amp. That thing was loose, and moving around. I moved it and subs hit hard then moved it again and subs werent the same. I tightened the connection piece back down & tried moving it around and nothing, could it be the speaker wire from the back of the box to the amp being bad now??
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May have to pull them and have a look.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you pulled the sub and looked at the connection between the sub and the terminal that was loose? If the terminal came loose (the thing you plug the speaker wire into from the amp into the box) and was moving around it very well could have pulled the wires loose on the inside of the box that go to the subwoofer itself. If it was wired for a specific impedance like 2 or 1ohm load and one of the wires came loose you'd have less power output from the subs.
Another possiblity is that one the pos. wires touched a neg. wire inside when it moved and caused a short.
Just a couple thoughts and something that can easily be trouble shooted.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeaa, i pulled out both subs & checked the wiring on them. The connection wasnt loose from the speaker wiring to the terminal on the inside of box. Neither was any of the wiring to the subs...

It may very well be a short. If it is, all i need to do is replace the speaker wiring right??? If so, do i just go ahead and replace all the wiring from the Sub to box to amp???
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

truthfully i believe you blew the speakers.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Teching In

By Pass the Sub connection on the box, see if that helps, Go to your dealer or friend and ask to bower another box to test your system. What size power and ground wire did you run to the amp. from amp to speakers? Are you running a "cap"?
Old 08-02-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

No Capacitor, and i believe i got the 8guage instead of the 4 for the power cable. i will just connect the speaker wires directly from subs to amp. See if that works....

I know my friend that i got the amp from, told me he's blown various speaker's with that amp too. If they are blown, more of a reason for me to get some JL Audio's. Which is what i want
Old 08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

check your gains, mine wasnt hitting and i checked it out, the gains were set up really low.