Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time with a clay bar, and I am not impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time with a clay bar, and I am not impressed

So I got the Mothers clay bar package, read the directions, and started (after a good wash). The clay seem to pick up some of the specs, but It did leave a lot behind (the specs are really small though). Now my problem was that it seemed like a lot of work for very little results. I don’t know if I was doing it wrong or what, but I think a good polish/buff job would be faster and look better.

It was about 90+ degrees (I was in the shade)… was it too hot outside?. The package said that the paint should feel smooth when done. It felt smooth to begin with, so I was thinking maybe my paint is in better shape than I thought. That lube made it slide really easy… Did I use too much? I keep a good coat of wax on the car... was that to blame?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The claybar WILL take off any and all wax that's on there, so don't worry about that.

2. Feeling the paint surface with your hands is not the best way to measure if its smooth or not. Take a plastic bag (grocery bag) and put your hand in it and run it across the part of the car before and after. If you are doing it correctly, you will notice a HUGE difference.

3. If its not taking marks and rubber and bugs off, then scrub harder. Sometimes it takes A LOT of elbow grease to get it to work and some areas will be more difficult than others. THe passenger side and the rear of the car are going to be the worse areas 9 times out of 10.

4. It's all about preparation. If you don't wash it good and dry it good and clay it well, then a polish/buff job isn't going to look that great. Proper preparation and product use is key. Your car will only look as good as that step that you cut corners on or didn't do if you don't do it correctly.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

the directions say not to press down to hard... Should I press down harder? I was sliding that bar across my car for about 5 hours and i was just not seeing that good of results. I don't have any bugs... It is just these pen tip sized specs, and I don't like them. I think the car looks pretty good, but I just felt like I didn't see the same results of some of you guys.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i LOVE the stuff. did wonders on my vette. and took off all the crap.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

I've clayed alot of cars, and have never been disappointed with the results. When I bought my "garage kept" Vette, you wouldn't believe the crap that came up with the claybar.

Once it gets all the stuff up, you will be shocked how much easier and quicker polishing and waxing will become...not just the first time, but subsequent times as well.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I was expecting the miracle here, and I didn't see it. I will try it again tomorrow, but I think I need some advice. The clay was really not that dirty at all. Some people say to wash the car with dawn? I don't know about that, but I am willing to try anything.

When you clay does it need to stick to the car a little. When I did mine it was kind of slippery. I thought the clay would have also been harder, felt like silly putty

This thread is not about me putting down clay. For some reason it just didn't really work, and I am curious on why.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Just a thought but maybe the pen size specs your talking about are very small rock chips. Try re-working the rough areas and apply a little more pressure.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Here's another thread to help you out. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/745573-clay-barring-help.html
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Made a huge difference on my car. It is not supose to stick. You need to use a lot of lube and it should glide over the surface. I used the Meguiars kit on mine.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Check out www.meguiarsonline.com or mothers.com and ask there. Probably get better feedback.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02_LS1
Just a thought but maybe the pen size specs your talking about are very small rock chips. Try re-working the rough areas and apply a little more pressure.
Don't think so on the rock chips, most are on the rear bumper. And they are like orange and yellow. I can get most off with some heavy scrubbing, but some are really stuck on there. I think its like baked on pollen or something.

I will read up and try again with some more pressure tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

You can try a combination of really soapy water, as opposed to the issued lube in the kit.

I found the extra amount of liquid on hand made using the clay bar a little easier. Went faster and you didn't feel like you had only so much liquid lube with which to work. You could really put down a lot of lube (soapy water) and then use the claybar as a lot more "aggressively" (if that makes sense).

HTH,

-John
Old 07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

This has been bothering me for all day... I went and did the plastic bad test, and oh my damn ! It was seriously scary how bumpy it feels. My legs are seriously sore from this morning, but I think I wont be able to sleep with the car like that. At least the temp is going down with the sun.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

You spent 5 hours with a clay bar? It should take about 30-45 minutes max and the paint should feel smooth as glass. Something's gotta be going wrong with your method of application, even though I don't see how you could mess it up.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

i just clayed a buddies GTP today. The thing was FILTHY and the clay took EVERYTHING off the car. Then i went over it and buffed the whole car and in particular the scratches out. Then after i got that off i took and put a coat of Gold Glass and the car just shined SO nicely. So he was really happy with it. Turned out very nice
Old 07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is you don't have to put a lot of pressure on the clay to help it pick up debris. But you might have to make quite a few back and forth passes on just a certain area. Like some of the more stubborn debris I would have to do maybe 50-75 passes on it and doing that in very quick back and forth motions over the paint.

Find an area that is really dirty (back bumper) and just keep passing the claybar over it. About every 15-20 passes spray some more lube to keep the area slick.

Claybar is a godsend and I hope you are able to really see the greatness of it.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You got to remember that if you have waxed the car a ton and have never taken it off the claybar is literally eating away at each layer. If you have waxed it a ton then itll take a bunch of back and forth passes to break down that wax and then maybe 2 passes to get the dirt off.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Ya know, i'm with you on that clay bar never did anything for me. After reading these posts, instead of just pressing progressivly hard, I started doing a bunch of back and forth swipes and WOW it truley is a godsend.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bballr4567
You got to remember that if you have waxed the car a ton and have never taken it off the claybar is literally eating away at each layer. If you have waxed it a ton then itll take a bunch of back and forth passes to break down that wax and then maybe 2 passes to get the dirt off.
i agree, but to speed up the process you can wash your car with dawn dishwashing soap or the like, and it will strip off the wax without hurting your paint or anything else.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kevinclark09
i agree, but to speed up the process you can wash your car with dawn dishwashing soap or the like, and it will strip off the wax without hurting your paint or anything else.
Yes that is true. Dawn is like the devil for cars and wax! Make sure you get it all off though or itll dry and be damn near impossible to get off.

Quick Reply: First time with a clay bar, and I am not impressed