Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Should I?
Do it! Looks mean and makes the car very unique.
59.24%
Don't do it! It looks horrible! Leave them polished.
20.38%
Chrome them, easy clean up plus bling.
14.65%
Paint the centers a high metallic silver and be done with it.
1.27%
Other (please explain in the post)
4.46%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Am I Ruining My Car? Big Decision, Possibly Defacing CCW 505As

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Am I Ruining My Car? Big Decision, Possibly Defacing CCW 505As

Granted this is directly related to wheels, but it has so much more to do with the overall look of the car that I wanted to put it here for more feedback on those with a keen eye on style.

Since I'm selling my Integra and am going to be daily driving the GTO now, I'm looking for options to refinish the CCWs to make them a bit easier to clean. At the top of my list is this, pulling inspiration from something I saw on a Lamborghini Murcielago once and now I've seen it a few times on these $7,000 set of wheels from a company that builds for C6 Z06s. I think it looks very exotic and aggressive (which would go nicely with my cam + long tubes + stall setup that will be going into the GTO soon as well and offer a bit of an attitude change for the Goat)...

The GTO:

Inspiration:

Do the centers of the CCWs matte black and have the lip color matched to Spice Red. Thats the idea anyway. DBA rotors would go on at the same time, and very shortly thereafter a big brake kit would follow when I could budget it in to set the wheels off even more.

Don't get me wrong, I love the full polished look, but this looks different, I like it a lot, and it would be super easy to clean. And if I grow tired of it I can always have them stripped and chromed when I have to get new tires so it's not like it's a permanent thing. Wheels would be painted then clear powdercoated for durability (just like those $7,000 360 Forged wheels for the Vettes are).

It's a love/hate thing I think. Personally I LOVE it. I think it takes any car and makes it look much more aggressive, and the GTO could use a little help in that department honestly.

Fad, possibly. Hell, probably. But meh, I like it on every car I've seen it on. And like I said, it's nothing that isn't reversible. The next time the tires come off the wheels they'll probably get stripped and chromed anyway for easy maintenance, but in the meantime this will give me something different.

Either you like the way those Vettes look or you dont. I've seen Lambos, Ferraris, and Vettes with color matched lips and they all looked KILLER. I've even seen VW R32s and Nissan Silvia conversions with color matched lips and black centers, and I've liked every one I've seen.

Still on the fence on whether to just get the centers painted a high metallic silver right now or to go with a full overhaul on this. The metallic silver centers would be a tide-me-over for sure as I'd not leave it like that (chrome when time for new tires), but the color matched lips and matte black centers could stick around for a while if I liked it. One way is money down the drain for sure, the other possibly not. I guess we'll see what I decide. Just wanted a general concensus first.

A few very rough photoshops that other people did that don't really even come close to doing the car justice, but it will give you a VERY general idea as neither have the entire lip colored, just the outside edge...

On mine the face of the wheels would be matte black, centercaps and lugs would be chrome just like the Vettes pictured above, and lips would be completely painted and an exact color match to my Spice Red Metallic paint (so the lips would have some metallic in them to help them pop besides just flat color as well). I'll try to photoshop exactly what I'm going for sometime but for now this will have to do.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's something different, i think its a neat idea but would have to see the result to actually pass judgement. There is a tangelo camaro that kind of had the same thing, I will see if I can find the pictures.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

I agree. Implementation always looks good. Those Vettes look killer IMO. Photoshop just can't do an idea like this any justice, so I look to those Vettes, and I look to the blue VW and Silvia I've seen, and the orange Murcielago that had orange lips, and they all looked killer from plain car to high dollar exotic. The only thing I'm really worried about is either A) the GTO not being aggressive enough to pull it off, but then again a VW hatchback did and B) the Spice Red being too dark to really make it pop, which it can get darker in lower light situations.

And FWIW, I'd be ditching the factory boomerang spoiler and putting on a JHP lip spoiler to help streamline the car more. I think it would need it to pull off the full effect of the wheels with color matched lips.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Launching!

I think wheels like that look sweet. Although, I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of seeing black wheels on every car I see lately. Polished looks more classy and black wheels are way overdone at this point in time.

But the fact that you are going to put car color on the lip instead of a silver lip will be different I suppose.

The car will look great either way, I'd say it's just a matter of what kinda look you are going for.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Addict

i like what i see there but i mean if you want to keep the polished look just have the wheels clear coated or something.
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red ring around the wheels is way to rice IMO..other then that it's a sick ride

Last edited by phantomzer0; 05-11-2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: No Need to Quote....
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks unique and you wouldnt have made this post if you didnt like it yourself. If that is your inspiration, than make it come true...

although, as stated above, the red around the outside is a bit much for my taste but I love the dark color of the wheels and i find it looks a lot better than the polished look on your car.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

i voted u should do it,i dont think there is anything rice about the red lip
Old 05-09-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

First of all, if you love how it looks, do it. You don't need to ask anyone's permission.

Are you just going to pinstripe the outer lip spice red, or do the whole hoop? The two Z06's pictured have their entire outer hoops (to the center section) tint coated to match the body color, then matte black center sections. The orange one might even have the entire hoop tint coated. You might see if you can photoshop that, to see what it would look like.

DPE offers similar finishes on their wheels, and it can look REALLY good. My only hesitation would be if you ever get tired of it and/or decide to sell the car or wheels. As I'm finding out in trying to sell my Fikses, many people like the idea of non-silver/non-polished center sections, but few people seem to have the courage to actually pull the trigger. And if you color-match the wheels to the body, you severely limit your target market. Like you said, it's not like it's irreversible, it would just be a pain (and more money) to get them back to polished.

Like I said, if you like it, do it. You might get flamed, and I doubt very much that you'll have a bunch of people copy your style. But what you'll have would be very unique and if you like it, that's all that counts.

-Mike
Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those rims are 7 grand, they're gorgeous but damn.

I personally love the idea. It gives it a road race/SCCA feel to me, which I love.

DO IT!
Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Thats a tough choice, I like the black with red but I know the CCWs aren't cheap so I would hate to paint them. I did my factory wheels like that though
Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

do it dude!! Seriously i love it!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paint the centers a high metallic silver and be done with it.

Sorry but I think painting the lip is just a current fad that will NOT stand the test of time, think pastel crazy graphics from the late 70's early 80's...

MAYBE if your car had more of an old school almost rat rod look you could pull it off... I think polished (then clear coated) lips with the center spokes painted will look INCREDIBLE!

If you MUST paint the lips (...I am not recommending this by any stretch of the imagination but...) I would not recommend body color. Do satin black or red, tried and true colors that have stood the test of time (as far as painting rim lips go)
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I saw the pic of your gto, I was thinking why change anything. I think this would look really cool though. I would say go for it, I don't think I have ever seen it on a GTO...you really do not see it that often. At leas out on the road. I have been looking for those vette pics too, thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Now you have my attention

I think either way it looks great. Chrome brings out the paint a bit more.. but its hard to keep clean.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

I dunno dude, your car looks so awesome the way it is. Painting them would definatly be unique. I saw if you are dead set on having a unique set of wheels then paint them, but if you are happy with the way the car is, then leave them polished, or get them chromed for easier cleaning. I voted to leave them the way they are.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love the wheels on those vettes and it will look just as sick on your car! I would do it in a second. Once the finish on my wheels goes to **** i may consider the same type of idea
Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Launching!

After seeing pics of those corvette's in the multimedia section I was wondering about the same thing, I think it'd look really good from those pictures you posted above.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I honestly think that style wheel only belongs on exotics.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

i voted for do it because i think it will look good with the ccws but im not diggin it on the camaro. vettes look killer

Quick Reply: Am I Ruining My Car? Big Decision, Possibly Defacing CCW 505As