Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bad ass 4l60e rebuild kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad *** 4l60e rebuild kit?

Is there a complete kit u can buy to rebuild/upgrade the 4l60e.. I have been searching and only finding pieces here and there.. I wanna complete kit that will handle some abuse
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Here are some recent theads on the subject of rebuild kits:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-kit-help.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-problems.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...-rite-kit.html

Also on subject of general advise on rebuilding a trans yourself:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...questions.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ild-4l60e.html See my post #5

These kits are good to about 500 engine HP.
The Transgo HD2 shift kits should be added too.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/produ...&cat=58&page=1

i bought this 5+ years ago - car is over 500 flywheel - held up great - no issues
i ended up having a snap ring get weak and let go - contacted them and he helped me over the phone and email on getting another kit and a great price.

my trans builder even said if i wanted to cheap out i didnt need to replace all the clutches n steels they were still in great shape @ 20000 miles - but i did anyway

i couldnt recommend them enough!!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like an OK kit, as long as it comes with everything else you need to build it. I wouldn't use a 9 disc 3-4 stack in...well...anything, though. I'm also not a big fan of TransGo's stuff, either. But...that's just me. All of our in-house builds and kits are custom tailored to exactly what the customers needs.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

The 700r4l60e.com kit is by long time member PBA (Dana) who, while not a sponsor, answers many questions here. While PBA suggests a 9 friction 3-4 clutch (with thin steels), some other performance builders I talk to recommend a 7 friction or at most an 8 friction setup. Having spoken to many, the "consensus" is probably 8 friction. If you prefer 8 (or even 7) frictions, I'm sure Dana would be happy to put a suitable kit together for you. IIRC, TrueTechTrans.com (Jeff, not a sponsor and not a member) recommends 7 frictions but can also create a 8 friction kit for you.

I'm not an expert, but here is my feeling on it:
If you want a 100,000 rebuild with only occasional track time, go with 7 frictions and .040 to .050 clearance. (There is NO reason to go with only 6 frictions.)
If you have a street/strip car with 5000 miles/year, go with 8 frictions and .030 to .040 clearance. It should last several years.
IMHO, 9 frictions and clearances tighter than .025 are for mostly track cars.
The sliding between tight clearance frictions in 1st and 2nd gear, e.g. stop and go city driving, will quickly wear them out. In other words, in 1st and 2nd gear you want very little contact between the frictions/steels in the 3-4 clutch.
Again, I'm not an expert, but this is the feeling I get talking to many experts.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Seven .080" high energy (Borg or Raybestos) frictions, six .076" steels and a NEW OEM .223" apply plate and .193" backing plate has proven to outlast any other setup I have used in the 25 years I have been building the 700R4/4L60E.

If you stack it this way in a late 700R4 or a 4L60E input drum with a "7" apply ring and a .093" snap ring, it will stack up at .025-.030" every time. With a Corvette 2nd servo set up at .070"-.080" of servo travel, this clearance will give you a very quick and tight 2-3 upshift. I leave the load release springs out of any high performance application, and leave them in for a truck application.

I do not recommend setting up the 3-4 clutch any looser than .030" in any application.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:12 AM
Staging Lane

I c an vouch for the probuilt kits. Dana puts these together to your application with the highest quality parts and they all work together.

It is a real headache looking at most internet vendors because they are either generic kits that need upgrades, some of which may not be compatible with your specific setup, OR they are sold individually and you have to hope you get it right and get all of the right parts. As a DIY guy, this takes a lot of time and one wrong part or seal will cause you to tear it down and redo.

If you look at his kis they compare to most level 4 trannys from the top shops like flt or rpm.

Also when
I did the rebuild, I called him on many evenings, saturday and sunday and he answered all of my questions as the atsg manual is not clear on some things. Very helpful, did not make you feel dumb. Unparalled service and knowledge that you wont get from most online vendors. Will talk you out of buying something you dont need and will only sell you what you do need. Great guy and company.

PS call transgo sometime. Never had a good experience with their techs, they talk down to you and make it seem like you are bothering them when you ask for advice.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Teching In

I got my kit from Dana when I built the 4L60E in my 95 Z. It was a very complete kit and Dana was able to provide me with some tips and information not in the manual or instructions sheets. He tailored a kit for my needs and I couldn't have been happier with the results.

I am ordering more parts from him next week for my 98 Z.

I highly recommend Dana for your transmission needs.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

sub for future use

Quick Reply: bad ass 4l60e rebuild kit?