Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That's from a STOCK LQ9 in a truck.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eeeek!

How much beefier is the stock 80e shaft from the stock 60e shaft? At what point 'should' someone upgrade the stock 80e shaft to 300M or similar?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Eeeek!

How much beefier is the stock 80e shaft from the stock 60e shaft? At what point 'should' someone upgrade the stock 80e shaft to 300M or similar?
I want to know as well!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM
FormerVendor

A stock 4L80E output shaft will handle 2000 HP in a 3000-3500 lb car.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
A stock 4L80E output shaft will handle 2000 HP in a 3000-3500 lb car.
Thank you sir!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 398 Likes on 304 Posts

Jake, is this the typical or just one place the output shaft is likely to fail?
Did the internal torrington bearing in the planet perhaps fail and cause enough heat to fatigue the output shaft where it broke?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 AM
FormerVendor

This is somewhat typical in a heavy application. The lube holes create a weak spot. All torringtons were fine.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:10 AM
10 Second Club

Not that that would happen to my car but I'm glad I swapped to the 4l80e. It's a whole different animal.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! But, what about the weight difference of the two? 4L60E vs 4L80E
Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BOLO
Wow! But, what about the weight difference of the two? 4L60E vs 4L80E
35 lbs difference approx. If you are running fast enough to worry about it, you definitely aren't running a 4L60E.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

What about a cam only A4 that will put down about 400hp? Would you recommend a built 4L60 (trans lost 3/4 clutch pack recently) or I'm looking at swapping to a 4L80 and doing the transgo shift kit?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the body dimensions the same? I'm building a hotrod with a 5.3L/4L60E. If and when the 60E craps out on me, can I swap in an 80E without any modifications? Or is it longer, mounts in different locations....???
Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

ok jake.....i am a noob..........what am i looking at? and can that assembly be made beefier for us guys who cant/dont want a 80 ?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Since your such a great transmission shop.....why is this problem not resolved ???

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ns-issues.html

Just asking.

More starting at post #319 http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/p...96/index7.html

Last edited by ZQ8LS1; 08-30-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZQ8LS1
Since your such a great transmission shop.....why is this problem not resolved ???

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ns-issues.html

Just asking.

More starting at post #319 http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/p...96/index7.html
It is resolved. We had a lube flow restriction due to a build mistake. (You won't find many shops who will admit to that).
The trans passed the dyno and is shipping back out Tuesday, it was scheduled today but we're at the mercy of the freight companies and shipping around holidays is always a mess.

It's a "**** happens" deal. EVERY customer we have is in hurry and the simple fact is we have enough demand that we typically have a 3 week + backlog, we've been at 10-12 weeks with 3 builders averaging almost 1 trans per day/per builder. We had an issue with Rick's cooler line flow on the initial build that we spent a considerable amount of time with the unit on/off the dyno. We thought we corrected the issue when we shipped it.
One thing to note is that most shops don't have a transmission dyno and some that do, don't measure cooler line flow.

When we have an odd issue with a build, it delays every build behind it awaiting the dyno. The dyno is our bottleneck. We can build them faster than we can dyno them with one dyno.
We also fine tune the line pressure for each build on the dyno, which is another step in the process that takes time.

I try not to send out a transmission I'm not completely satisfied with. I prefer to find and fix any issues in our shop, on our dyno, so the customer isn't stuck with the hassle of R&R'ing, fluid, packaging, etc.
We have a good reputation because we do take care of our customers.
Most companies do NOT cover shipping when there is an issue with a "mail order" transmission. By policy we don't, but in reality, when it is our fault, we cover the shipping, as we did in this case.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
What about a cam only A4 that will put down about 400hp? Would you recommend a built 4L60 (trans lost 3/4 clutch pack recently) or I'm looking at swapping to a 4L80 and doing the transgo shift kit?
At 400 HP I would use a 4L60E IF there are not going to be later power upgrades.

A 4L60E has it's place and it's benefits. While a 4L80E conversion isn't difficult there can always be roadblocks when doing a conversion and how easy they are to solve is highly dependent on the technical ability of the installer.

I am finishing up two installs at the shop now and discovered I had relays that didn't function normally (or as they were labeled) that had me doing some diagnostics today.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Launching!

It is resolved. We had a lube flow restriction due to a build mistake. (You won't find many shops who will admit to that).
The trans passed the dyno and is shipping back out Tuesday, it was scheduled today but we're at the mercy of the freight companies and shipping around holidays is always a mess.

It's a "**** happens" deal. EVERY customer we have is in hurry and the simple fact is we have enough demand that we typically have a 3 week + backlog, we've been at 10-12 weeks with 3 builders averaging almost 1 trans per day/per builder. We had an issue with Rick's cooler line flow on the initial build that we spent a considerable amount of time with the unit on/off the dyno. We thought we corrected the issue when we shipped it.
One thing to note is that most shops don't have a transmission dyno and some that do, don't measure cooler line flow.

When we have an odd issue with a build, it delays every build behind it awaiting the dyno. The dyno is our bottleneck. We can build them faster than we can dyno them with one dyno.
We also fine tune the line pressure for each build on the dyno, which is another step in the process that takes time.

I try not to send out a transmission I'm not completely satisfied with. I prefer to find and fix any issues in our shop, on our dyno, so the customer isn't stuck with the hassle of R&R'ing, fluid, packaging, etc.
We have a good reputation because we do take care of our customers.
Most companies do NOT cover shipping when there is an issue with a "mail order" transmission. By policy we don't, but in reality, when it is our fault, we cover the shipping, as we did in this case.
Good to see that it is being handled. A lot of people read that forum & it wasnt looking good for a "reputable shop".
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ZQ8LS1
Good to see that it is being handled. A lot of people read that forum & it wasnt looking good for a "reputable shop".
What you are seeing is the internet "gangbang" effect. Rick has good reason to be frustrated. He got a flawed unit and it cost him time and frustration. He did an excellent job helping to diagnose the issue.

Like I have discussed with him when he sent it back, the fact that it worked OK on our dyno before we shipped it, and then would work fine cold, but act up when hot, was very unusual.
Usually I would assume metal expansion from getting hot would help lube flow, not hurt it, as in his case.
We installed a mismatched drive tube that restricted lube flow. There are 3 different "iterations" of the geartrain on a 4L80E and you have to be careful to not mix and match parts. Myself and my other 2 builders are very aware of this and it's not a mistake we would usually make. The builder that made the mistake has over 25 yrs of building experience. He's damn good, but we all make mistakes.
He simply grabbed the wrong part and didn't realize it. When we had issues on the dyno with low cooler line flow, I assumed we had a pump issue and we tried to correct it on the existing pump, then changed pumps.
We have at any given time, 10-15 4L80E cores torn down, not to mention shelves and bins full of parts for 4L80Es and 400s (many are interchangeable).

We are not TCI or other large transmission company that employs a dedicated sales staff. When you call, you typically talk to my receptionist or me. If I'm busy (I try to avoid the phone while building for reasons like we have seen here, so I can concentrate my attention on the build) we take a message.
Most larger companies you don't get to talk to an actual technician/builder.
Most other companies aren't giving free tech advice online. Look at this forum for example, who gives the most tech advice of the sponsors here?

I answer approx 100-200 emails a day, many times after hours. I answer dozens of phone calls a day, and I still try to build, do installations, run the business, order parts, assign work to my employees, etc.

I would like to employ a dedicated KNOWLEDGEABLE phone sales/tech person but we're not quite big enough to justify that yet.

I am always trying to streamline our operation to reduce the backlog so we can deliver more quickly.
Our two greatest weakness are our backlog (for many reasons), and ability to spend as much time with the customer by phone/email as we would like to.

The backlog can be a nightmare because it creates frustration in the instant gratification world, and keeping track of everything can be a PITA. Parts that go out with transmissions, remembering a customer when they have questions without looking back at their order, etc.

When it was just me and I built one unit at a time, it was much easier to remember everything going on and deal with every customer on a more personal level.

Quick Reply: 4L60E's and Why I like 4L80E's