Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yank / Fuddle comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yank / Fuddle comparison

Anyone ever do a back to back Yank vs. Fuddle comparison?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't do that in a meaningful way, since Yank has
about 20+ (?) different LS1 models and every Fuddle
is custom. You'd have to attempt to get two built to
the same nominal spec and line them up. And hardly
anyone pulls a converter, to substitute another just
like it. Unless something was wrong with the first one,
again making the comparison not too sound.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Sure you can, this may be more geared to a person/shop that regularly does convertor installs and has seen some differances when similar convertors are ordered.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do a search. i did a comparison. search my name and fuddle in this forum.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont worry guys im the type to tell it like ti is..and my cousin has a 99 z28 vert. with lts true duals and a lid and a tune with a ss3400 and for the mods he has ran an 8.08@86 in the 1\8mile with some mt drag radials.. i was suprised! runs very good for what it is and 86mph! wow.. i have the mods in sig..and im goin with a fuddle 3200 with a 2.2str on some 315 bfgs and as soon as i race him and go to the track ill let everyone know how i feel about the yank vs. fuddle thang..
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My guesses as to what will happen...

That Fuddle will hit harder than the Yank off the line but the Yank will have the legs at the end. Its not because of any design defect or whatever, but purely because you have requested a launch-style converter which, to achieve that STR and stall RPM, may have less positive blade angles on the primary.

But the again, it depends on the final gear ratio you and your buddy have. It wont be a fair comparison unless you both are running identical setups, with similar stall RPM and STR.

I dont think you need that wide a tyre too. It will cost you MPH in the end. A set of MT ET STreet Radials 235/60/15 is all you need.
Old 02-13-2006, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

It's this simple...

You get what you pay for...
Old 02-13-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see people say this all the time. But I'd consider it
more of a best-case scenario, than a rule. It's hard to
know just what you pay, goes toward. Craftsmanship?
Quality control? Performance? Marketing? You give me
one instance where these proportions are known, and
I'll consider it educational.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1_Bad_LS1
It's this simple...

yes but can you provide hard proof that one is better then the other? I would say get what your budget can handel. I went with a fuddle 4k TC b/c im on a lower budget. I had a friend who had a yank 4k and he ran right threw it. Then had a hell of a time getting a new one from yank, meanwhile his car was down, and left him without a DD. I figured i would say myself the trouble and get a fuddle, no ocmplants from me.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_Bad_LS1
It's this simple...

this is so true...

with fuddle, you pay for a great converter with a great warranty and customer service....and that's all.

at yank you pay for a great converter, a fair warranty, mediocre customer service and a whole lot of advertising/marketing.

I'll just take the great converter....hold the bullshit, please!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sr71
this is so true...

with fuddle, you pay for a great converter with a great warranty and customer service....and that's all.

at yank you pay for a great converter, a fair warranty, mediocre customer service and a whole lot of advertising/marketing.

I'll just take the great converter....hold the bullshit, please!
Exactly.

I'm tired of all this "Yank is king and anything else is crap" mentality of many of the Yank owners.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MNR-0
My guesses as to what will happen...

That Fuddle will hit harder than the Yank off the line but the Yank will have the legs at the end. Its not because of any design defect or whatever, but purely because you have requested a launch-style converter which, to achieve that STR and stall RPM, may have less positive blade angles on the primary.

But the again, it depends on the final gear ratio you and your buddy have. It wont be a fair comparison unless you both are running identical setups, with similar stall RPM and STR.

I dont think you need that wide a tyre too. It will cost you MPH in the end. A set of MT ET STreet Radials 235/60/15 is all you need.

well i think we could have the same rwhp.. and we have the same gears and his car is heavier...yes he has smaller tires than mine and his stall is the ss3400 str is 2.5 and mine is the fuddle 3200 with a 2.2str.. so i think its a fair comparo...so ill let the times speak for itself!
Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Exactly.

I'm tired of all this "Yank is king and anything else is crap" mentality of many of the Yank owners.
Meh, it's not really like that. Take a look back on how many brands have pretty much come and gone TCS, Midwest and TCI doesn't seem to be getting much love lately, shure they might be around still, but there are reasons they have not sold many converters lately, now take a look at the 2 companys that have been around for awhile and are still selling converters regaurdless of a little higher price, it's not all marketing, it's proven performance time and time again, they have stood up great against abuse and the test of time< the test of time is a big one!! Nowonwiththesroriesaboutpeopleblowingthrough...... ..
Old 02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I see people say this all the time. But I'd consider it
more of a best-case scenario, than a rule. It's hard to
know just what you pay, goes toward. Craftsmanship?
Quality control? Performance? Marketing? You give me
one instance where these proportions are known, and
I'll consider it educational.
Very well said. There is much more to the cost of a product.

A well-advertised more expensive product produced with more overhead doesn't make a better product in terms of quality, reliability, and performance.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slimcracka
well i think we could have the same rwhp.. and we have the same gears and his car is heavier...yes he has smaller tires than mine and his stall is the ss3400 str is 2.5 and mine is the fuddle 3200 with a 2.2str.. so i think its a fair comparo...so ill let the times speak for itself!
Cool. Was just trying to lay down a level of understanding as to why they could differ in performance. Ultimately, they will differ in performance. But it may not be the converter - yours might be better setup for track then his, he may have a better tune than you, you may hold on to your gears longer etc..

Whatever the results, post em but expect theories from others no matter what happens.

As for quality, getting what you pay for, blah, blah, blah... Whatever...
Old 02-14-2006, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Hey John, Why doesn't your web site have pictures of your torque converters? You bloviate about how great you and your converters are but no pictures!! Why? Show us why your product is better. Remember , a picture is worth a thousand words good or bad.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fl7464
Hey John, Why doesn't your web site have pictures of your torque converters? You bloviate about how great you and your converters are but no pictures!! Why? Show us why your product is better. Remember , a picture is worth a thousand words good or bad.
Geez, now they have bad converters because they don't have pics of them?

What's the rationale of that argument?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fl7464

Wow Your first post and you're diss'ing people.
or did you just register under a different name to holler through a locked door, to hide your identity And imagine that...... just registered today You aint yanking us around now, are you???

Last edited by Bharnz; 02-14-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be honest I have no experiance with Fuddle.

But I hold no brand loyalty to anyone, it's not as if they pay me money at all

All I can say is I have spoken with Yank and they are very very helpful and on the basis of this plus the technical info the offer to the public I will certainly be buying a converter from them (once I figure out the cheapest way of getting from US to the UK).

If anyones interested they should take a look at Yanks website, it has a very good "The Truth" section which is worth reading as is their FAQ section. There's a link in my sig if you're interested.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I'll be honest I have no experiance with Fuddle.

But I hold no brand loyalty to anyone, it's not as if they pay me money at all

All I can say is I have spoken with Yank and they are very very helpful and on the basis of this plus the technical info the offer to the public I will certainly be buying a converter from them (once I figure out the cheapest way of getting from US to the UK).

If anyones interested they should take a look at Yanks website, it has a very good "The Truth" section which is worth reading as is their FAQ section. There's a link in my sig if you're interested.
MY pro Yank 3400 extreem has just arrived here in OZ and is being fitted right now, going to give the TCS multi plate a rest lol.
I will let you know my thoughts soon.