10 Cars That Sank Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 10 Cars That Sank Detroit

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-Car...-13583746.html

10 Cars That Sank Detroit

The global financial crisis is suffocating the Detroit automakers, but the problems at General Motors, Ford, and Chrysler have been festering for years--even when the mighty "Big Three" were earning billions. Aging factories, inflexible unions, arrogant executives and shoddy quality have all damaged Detroit. Now, with panicky consumers fleeing showrooms, catastrophe looms: Without a dubious federal bailout, all three automakers face the prospect of bankruptcy.

There will be plenty of business-school case studies analyzing all the automakers' wrong turns. But, as they say in the industry, it all comes down to product. So here are 10 cars that help explain the demise of Detroit:

Ford Pinto. This ill-fated subcompact came to epitomize the arrogance of Big Auto. Ford hurried the Pinto to market in the early 1970s to battle cheap imports like the Volkswagen Beetle that were selling for less than $2,000. Initial sales were strong, but quality problems emerged. Then came the infamous safety problems with exploding fuel tanks, which Ford refused to acknowledge. Message: The customer comes last. "The problems for the domestics really started in the '70s when they were offering cars like the Pinto up against higher-tech, better-built Toyota Corollas and Honda Civics," says Jack Nerad of Kelley Blue Book.

Chevrolet Cavalier. GM sold millions of Cavaliers in the 1980s--and decided the thrifty car was so successful the company didn't need to update it for more than a decade. To milk the model, GM even added some lipstick and high heels and tried to peddle the upgrade as the Cadillac Cimarron--a legendary flop. Honda and Toyota, meanwhile, were updating their competing models every four or five years, and grabbing market share with each quality improvement. A new Cavalier came out in the mid 1990s--then languished for another decade, while GM put most of its money into big trucks and SUVs. GM has since improved its small cars. "But they have to be miles better than the imports for Americans to forget how bad their small cars used to be," says Jamie Page Deaton of U.S.News's Rankings and Reviews car-ranking site. Even if they are better, many Americans wonder why they should give Detroit a second--or third--chance.

Chevrolet Astro. While Chrysler, Toyota, and Honda were refining their minivans in the 1990s and coming up with innovations like hideaway seats and electric sliding doors, GM was offering an old, truck-based van gussied up with carpeting and cupholders. "It showed GM's repeated failure to market competitive products based on styling and packaging," says Tom Libby of J.D. Power & Associates. The Astro drove like a bread truck, and consumers noticed. It also earned the worst safety ratings in its class. Before long, GM was effectively out of the minivan segment. No biggie--those were just mainstream American families the automaker decided to ignore.

Ford Taurus. Try to explain this logic: After its 1986 debut, the Taurus became a perennial bestseller. So for the next 20 years, Ford let quality decline and neglected the family sedan, while pouring love and money into trucks and SUVs. By early this decade, the Taurus had become a dowdy, rental-lot staple. So Ford simply retired the Taurus in 2006 and replaced it with the 500 sedan--which went on to set records as one of the most short-lived models ever. A year later, Ford revived the Taurus name and applied it to a bastardized 500. But by then, the damage was done.

Ford Explorer. This breakout vehicle helped launch SUVs and drove record profits at Ford in the 1990s, as Americans flocked to big utilities that could take them off-road if they ever got adventurous. It also blinded Ford to the future. "Executives could not see beyond the green piling up at their feet," says David Magee, author of How Toyota Became No. 1. "The Explorer helped create an addiction that lasted 15 years." GM and Chrysler followed right behind, with SUVs like the Chevy Trailblazer and the Dodge Durango--lockstep moves that reveal how the Detroit automakers focused on each other rather than the broader marketplace.

Jaguar X-Type. Ford bought the British luxury brand Jaguar in 1990, when all three Detroit automakers were seeking ways to expand their global reach. Eventually, Ford decided to build an entry-level Jaguar starting at around $30,000 for people looking to move up from, say, a Mercury Marquis. The down-market move "represented everything that Jaguar is not," says Libby of J.D. Power. The X-Type was built on an ordinary sedan platform from elsewhere in Ford's lineup, and the front-wheel-drive system underwhelmed enthusiasts used to rear-drive European makes. Jag purists were horrified, and aspiring luxury buyers shunned the X-Type in favor of BMWs, Lexuses, and Acuras. After fumbling the luxury brand for nearly two decades, Ford sold Jaguar to an Indian conglomerate in 2008.

Hummer H2. It sure seemed cool back in 2003, when gas was less than $2 per gallon. And it sure seems gaudy now. This supersized SUV clearly had a heyday, but it also helped paint parent company GM as an enviro-hostile corporation that sold only gas guzzlers. Sales collapsed as gas prices rose toward $4 a gallon in mid-2008, and GM has been trying to sell the division for six months--with no takers, so far. "GM wanted to make Hummer a signature company brand," says Magee. "Instead, it showed the company was out of touch with the needs of the 21st century."

Toyota Prius. While GM was spending $1 billion to build up the Hummer franchise, Toyota was spending $1 billion to develop a high-mileage hybrid--even though gas prices were still low. After the Prius debuted in the United States in 2000, GM execs seized yet another opportunity to display their intimate knowledge of American consumers, arguing that hybrids didn't make economic sense and that only environmentalists would buy them. Today, Toyota can barely keep up with demand for the Prius, and it has plans to start building them in the United States. GM, meanwhile, is scrambling to rush hybrids and other high-mileage cars into dealerships--far too late.

Chrysler Sebring. Did Chrysler engineers set out to build the world's most boring car? Of course not. Yet Chrysler still produces this blandmobile to keep assembly lines running and maintain a presence, however weak, in the sedan market. In the new Darwinian auto industry, this model seems destined for extinction, since the only way to sell marginal cars is with steep discounts, which money-losing automakers can no longer afford. In fact, if Chrysler ends up being carved into pieces and sold to competitors, as many analysts expect, most of its passenger-car lineup could get the axe, since there's little to distinguish it. Besides--what's a sebring, anyway?

Jeep Compass. Quick, what's the difference between the Jeep Compass, the Jeep Liberty, and the Jeep Patriot? The bosses at Chrysler, which owns Jeep, could explain, but the real answer is that Chrysler has oversaturated its strongest brand lineup in a desperate attempt to boost sales. "The Compass is not needed," says James Bell of Intellichoice.com. "Just the Liberty, please." The Compass has the same mechanical underpinnings as the Dodge Caliber, which helps illustrate one of Detroit's favorite tricks: Create multiple versions of every product under a bunch of different brand names, hoping that if buyers shun one, they'll take a more favorable view of another. Message to Detroit: Consumers aren't that stupid. Give them a bit more credit, and you might have a future.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

IMO, it is the tards that put out articles like this that helped to sink them. They could have updated the cavalier every few years, than we would be hearing them bitch about how nothing is the same between the different years or the transformation is to absurd.

Friends dad had a Chevy Astro and the thing was a beast. In the 250k miles he had it he never had any problems with it. The way the magazines and sheeple at the Toyota and Honda dealerships though will tell you it was on the virge of exploding, and they know a friend of a friend who has an uncle that has a brother in law that has a Toyota that has gone 500k miles with never getting an oil change or ever having any problems.

I remember trashing the Ford Taurus once at a transmission shops after hearing about them always having tranny issues, but with it having the tittle for a while of the #1 most selling car virtually everyone will have owned one and at one point some tard would have gotten ahold of it and neglected any sort of routine maintenece at all. My Grandfather had one running fine to 200k miles before he was rearended and the car was totalled.

Toyota Prius... a car that in my eyes they tried to make super advanced and because it is badged Hybrid it is a super cool car. Wasn't some study done that the battery in the car actually produces more damage to the enviroment than a H2 would by 100k miles? Than on top of that aren't the batteries some crazy freakin amount to replace? The other funny thing about them is they don't even get the mileage they claim they get. My grandmother got 42mpg at her best on the thing over in seattle, when the thing actually ran of course. While you might look at that and think neat... how about the fact that my dad in his little Chevy Metro with the three banger gets 55mpg in that thing and he drives the **** out of it. Looks to me like Toyota is the one that needs to play catch up... IMO this will be one of those cars that in 10 years everyone will look back at it and wonder wtf they were thinking.

Toyota/Honda are living off a reputation from 20 years ago, and the bad part is it is being covered up by the "american" automotive media. A good example is the recall for the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe about the windows blowing out because of force applied or something from the electric motor. Toyota had 200,000+ to be recalled and Pontiac had 55,000 to be recalled... which made front page news though... This is a Toyota engineered product to boot.

The one looming issue is that the Big 3 suck with advertising. They have good stuff out there but no one knows about it unless you read about it. I can tell you right now that Toyota has some sort of 0% financing going on, because I have this stupid song stuck in my head that just says "Saved by 0... Saved by 0" with Toyota cars flashing by.

Anyways, thats the end of my long rant...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my parents had a pinto when i was a kid. the car was very reliable. my aunt bought it from them after. that car lasted a long time.

while i admit gm did milk out a cavalier without upgrading it i thought it did what it was supposed to for its cost.

i remember a taurus being a number one seller for yrs though i do agree once again it wasnt upgraded like it shouldve been. explorers also made ford a shitload of money. even with that suspension or tire problem.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!!! What great hindsight! If only I had bought Google, If only we had dropped a couple more bombs on Japan. Etc..Blah,Blah,Blah.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

atleast there is no mention of an F-body by these "experts" so thats a relief I do agree with the list though there have been some missteps along the way

I make an honorable mention for the Aztec
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

astro vans are tough as **** i dont know why this pinhead dissed them so much as i see 10 of them per day on the road still holding their own.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
astro vans are tough as **** i dont know why this pinhead dissed them so much as i see 10 of them per day on the road still holding their own.
VERY true, and they're actually quite popular in some Asian markets as well I hear.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rawr256
IMO, it is the tards that put out articles like this that helped to sink them. They could have updated the cavalier every few years, than we would be hearing them bitch about how nothing is the same between the different years or the transformation is to absurd.
Your first paragraph makes me laugh, How can you blame anyone but the company in itself for letting the business fail? you can put out as much misinformation as you want but a strong foundation and a good ethical business model will take your business as far as you let it.

Bottom line is that the big three have over saturated the market with unmarketable cars (throwing darts at a dartboard and hoping for a winner) as well as unethical union business practices in which no merritt is involved in the production of the vehicles. there is no motivation to work as everything that the "blue coler" worker has to do is show up and he gets paid a better salary then I do plus better benefits. (I am the VP of a 30+ year old sub contracting business in upstate NY i am the 3rd generation) so that my friend is the reason why Detroit is failing IMO
Old 11-19-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28

you don't see any astrovans in upstate ny... i would guess it is due to the harsh winters and salt
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRival
you don't see any astrovans in upstate ny... i would guess it is due to the harsh winters and salt
Give me a brake, my parents live there and I grew up there, tell me how many 95 and below Toyotas and Hondas you see. That is what I thought. Rust ownzzz them.
Leave now troll.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Astrovans as still in high demand here in Ontario by trades people because they take a **** kicking and being a full frame handle lots of weight. I disagree with the article on many fronts. Our family owned a sunbird, and 2 cavaliers over the years including the last generation. All great little cars. Only maintenance was oil changes, brakes and tires. There are many reasons the big 3 are not doing well but trying to pin the failure on 10 car is joke.
IMO the biggest reason they are not doing well is the media has been jumping on the import band wagon for so long no one believes the domestics make a good product anymore.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Leave now troll.
+1, Every post this _______has is anti GM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

I'm on the Astro van band wagon also. My Mom drove her Astro van for over 200,000 miles with NO ISSUES EVER! To this day she still says, "I wish they still had the Astro Van"

That's the first car I learned to drive, lol.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 AM

Give me a brake, my parents live there and I grew up there, tell me how many 95 and below Toyotas and Hondas you see. That is what I thought. Rust ownzzz them.
Leave now troll.
What makes me a troll? and yes i do see alot of toyota's and honda's up here! especially pre 1995. Look i am stating my opinion, just because YOU do not like it does not make me a Troll...

i am still here posting... i am not looking to stir the pot but this is just my thoughts on the issue at hand.

Just because your parents live in Upstate NY and you yourself Grew up here (assuming you don't live here now) does not hold water on what I see day in and day out and what "you saw when you grew up seeing x number of years ago"
Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 7998
+1, Every post this _______has is anti GM.
I am a HUGE corvette and LS1 advocate, i think the LS1 platform is leaps and bounds ahead of any competitor... and if my memory serves me correct...this is LS1tech.com not I<3GMtech.com so what does it matter if i am anti GM?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheRival
What makes me a troll? and yes i do see alot of toyota's and honda's up here! especially pre 1995. Look i am stating my opinion, just because YOU do not like it does not make me a Troll...

i am still here posting... i am not looking to stir the pot but this is just my thoughts on the issue at hand.

Just because your parents live in Upstate NY and you yourself Grew up here (assuming you don't live here now) does not hold water on what I see day in and day out and what "you saw when you grew up seeing x number of years ago"
I just spent three weeks in Catskill and I can tell you there are next to no pre 95 imports running around.
if they rusted out while I lived there I sure as hell know they still are not runnin around now.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Interesting article. I do think the Big Three did it to themselves. Nevertheless it is American industry at stake and we must do something to ensure it survives.

W
Old 11-19-2008, 10:21 AM

I just spent three weeks in Catskill and I can tell you there are next to no pre 95 imports running around.
if they rusted out while I lived there I sure as hell know they still are not runnin around now.

LOL regardless... how many pre 1995 vehicles are there on the road? i would figure less then 25% of the cars and with the production line stopping in 1997 for the ford astrovan i am not surprised that i do not see a whole lot on the road...
Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by WECIV
Interesting article. I do think the Big Three did it to themselves. Nevertheless it is American industry at stake and we must do something to ensure it survives.

W
I disagree, why must we do something to ensure that they survive? they are doomed to fail! let them fail! Toyota, Honda and other big "import" producers are giving jobs to thousands of Americans IN AMERICA... not if but WHEN the big 3 fail, someone will show up in their place and offer us a better and more sustainable product. that is the best part about our economy, it promotes technological growth and advancments.

Is America going to fall because the big 3 auto makers die? NO!!!! they are not the main source of our economical success...(or downturn for that matter)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

The Cavalier was the best value/cheapest car you could buy in 2002. It made GM a lot of money.

This author is stupid...

Prius made Toyota a lot of money.

The H2 made GM a lot of money.

This guy is retarded.

Quick Reply: 10 Cars That Sank Detroit