Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Cam Install questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Install questions

Can anyone recommend some grinds which offer a nice idle lope but can be easily DD'd?

Not looking for anything overly aggressive but some extra power in the middle or high end of the band would be nice. What kind of RWHP gains should i expect for just a new cam + springs etc...

I'm new to the LS2 and the board. I realize i can search, but this is a discussion forum... So if you tell me to just search around. Im seeking your opinions, experience, and discussion.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
if you tell me to just search around. Im seeking your opinions, experience, and discussion.
Thats fun, because if you search....you will find many of our opinions, experience, and discussion.

With that said, ask a cam builder such as Brian Tooley, or several other vendors, which I'm sure would have popped up in oh.....lets say......a search with the key words.......custom cam.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Thats fun, because if you search....you will find many of our opinions, experience, and discussion.

With that said, ask a cam builder such as Brian Tooley, or several other vendors, which I'm sure would have popped up in oh.....lets say......a search with the key words.......custom cam.

Thanks for your invaluable advice. Your comment had very little useful information and the search yielded next to nothing. The point of a discussion forum is to discuss stuff and offer advice and experience.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5

With that said, ask a cam builder such as Brian Tooley....
You know, in case you missed my complete lack of information.

I also see that you must believe the Ls6/2 has only ever been used in the CTS-V.

But since people like to be spoon fed I shall elaborate, the question you asked is wildly dependent on several variables and opinions. Some think huge cams can be daily drivers, while others can't drive a TSP MS3 on the street. Then you want to know the Hp for just a cam, which varies hugely among LS6/2 cars. C5 vettes for instance seem to have less drive train loss than the V1. Some motors from the factory are freaks and either stronger or weaker. So I ask, what does it all matter? You're going to build something of your own on other peoples opinion it is going to go one way or the other a 50:50 It puts out more power than expected (awesome) or less (sh*t). It is either going to sound perfect to you, or you want it more aggressive.

Before I get way off topic do you know google? here is the first thing that pops up with cam only ls6 http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...o-numbers.html

there is also youtube (insert youtube smiley here) for ALL of your cam sound clip concerns.

Now, what are your mods? what are others? what was the altitude? atmosphere? need I go on?

I think I have effectively answered all of your

Give Brian Tooley (or whomever you choose) tell them what you would like and they will set you up. Any thing else cupcake?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FAIL. just, FAIL.

go to google and type "site:ls1tech.com <whatever the hell you want to know>" i.e. 346 cam recommendation","what cam","custom cam", whatever the hell you want. Starting new threads and clogging the board for NO REASON just annoys all of the people who have the information that you want.

If you're asking a question that you CAN'T ACTUALLY FIND AN ANSWER TO AFTER SEARCHING, start a thread.

Otherwise, how about YOU GTFO.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Launching!

You are all jackasses. I search threads on this site and see the same crap... Search this, search that.... with little relevant information.

It would be alot easier to find this information on this site if you all kept your egotistical bashing to yourselves. Now when someone searches on cam questions this is yet another wasted thread with your B.S in it.

If I want to learn how to search ill go to a damn library. Obviously this is the wrong place for intelligent engine discussion or to get recommendations / feedback on cams.

A partial thanks to NIKDSC5 for some relevant info. But your still a complete jackass.

I'll find another board to get better info. Peace.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Old 02-04-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, my! That was a quick three-hour thread.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nik has perfect info in his "nice" post.

Honestly in my opinion buying a cam from a vendor Cuz it sounds cool or whatever is not the best choice.

If you can call some vendors and or get a hold of some custom cam gurus. Like pat g or brian tooley for example. Talk and ask questions, you will benefit more from stating your mods and desires and alot goes into it. On paper it may not be the coolest named cam but I bet it fits the engine better. Also don't worry about numbers.

My 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so I tell this jackass HOW he can search and find relevant information.... Even give him some good search phrases to USE, and I'm still a jackass?

Self-entitled *****.

Custom google search is exactly what I use to find information all the time, and I find ALL SORTS of good information.

For instance, JUST FOR YOU, YOU UNGRATEFUL ****, here's a few I found using Google in about two minutes-

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...tion-help.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...on-help-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ble-cam-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-question.html

If those don't work, READ THE STICKY ON CAMS, and you'll see what goes into selecting a cam.

"I want a nice lope"... THEN GET A CAM WITH SOME OVERLAP.

"Nothing too agressive....mid and high gains...blah blah blah" COULD YOU BE MORE VAGUE? WHAT YOU THING IS TOO AGGRESSIVE AND WHAT SOMEONE ELSE THINKS IS TOO AGGRESSIVE ARE GOING TO BE DIFFERENT. I DD'D AN LS1 WITH NO HEAT OR AC WITH AN MS3. IT HAD A "NICE LOPE" AND "GAINED IN THE MID TO HIGH RPMS" AND I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS TOO AGGRESSIVE. GO BUY ONE OF THOSE.

We don't have magic 8 *****. We can't determine what you want based on that horseshit. Your vague-*** post doesn't give anyone enough to even begin spec'ing a cam for you, much less guestimate what it'll make on the dyno.

Pull your head out of your *** and search. Or don't. I don't have any skin in the game either way... But SEARCHING led me to the information that allowed me to build a 10-second N/A DAILY DRIVER. If you look back at all of the threads I've started, I've not ONCE been told to use the search button. Know why? BECAUSE I SEARCHED BEFORE I CLUTTERED UP THE FORUM WITH WORTHLESS CRAP.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Man, I'm a saint compared to this guy ^

Edit: Oh, and good luck with your "another forum" search! LS1TECH is by far the most valuable LSX forum, and community.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 02-04-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn. that's all I can say to that..
Old 02-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by roninsonic
BECAUSE I SEARCHED BEFORE I CLUTTERED UP THE FORUM WITH WORTHLESS CRAP.
Reality check... 3/4 your post is all worthless crap just attacking me.

Can you tell me how to search again? Maybe next time paraphrase
Old 02-04-2015, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Old 02-04-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsdaveonline
Reality check... 3/4 your post is all worthless crap just attacking me.

Can you tell me how to search again? Maybe next time paraphrase
The thread's here. The damage is already done. The most i can hope for at this point is that someone finds it (AFTER SEARCHING) and has a good laugh about how someone fed you lead paint chips as a baby. It started out a worthless pile of ****, and will continue to be a worthless pile of ****, no matter what I do or do not post.

As far as telling you how to search again- I WOULD RATHER **** IN MY HAND AND CLAP. You can read. Figure it out.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just feel deceived as there were no installation questions, just cam selection questions.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by roninsonic
The thread's here. The damage is already done. The most i can hope for at this point is that someone finds it (AFTER SEARCHING) and has a good laugh about how someone fed you lead paint chips as a baby. It started out a worthless pile of ****, and will continue to be a worthless pile of ****, no matter what I do or do not post.

As far as telling you how to search again- I WOULD RATHER **** IN MY HAND AND CLAP. You can read. Figure it out.
This just keeps on getting more amusing. I love how you are taking all of this personally - frankly I'm not even sure why your still arguing and posting more non-sense. I just simply stated I don't like searching for hours on end.

I'm also confused on the "damage" which has been done. Maybe can you can elaborate in more detail. I'm sure other folks are wanting to know for the record.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bmylez
I just feel deceived as there were no installation questions, just cam selection questions.
Yep could have picked a better title. But i actually do have technical concern, do most folks retain the stock LS2 chain setup? I see Ls6 guys usually replace them.

Thinking about getting something like this:
http://www.briantooleyracing.com/nat...-camshaft.html

I'll have to do some more research on it still tho.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That escalated quickly and before I lock the thread I will give two words of wisdom.

Do a search.............and call a vendor.

Quick Reply: Cam Install questions