Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What Subwoofer you guys running?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Subwoofer you guys running?

Iam running a 15 inch solobaric powered by a Rockford Fosgate 1k watts to 1 channel...hits hard....

Iam looking to ditch the box and install a Free Air Sub 10 or 12 inch where the stock woofer was....

Any "positive feedback" would be appreciated!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Regular

o thats a good idea i want to do the same exact thing actually.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking of doing the same.

LAW
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thats what I did...I put a Pioneer slim 12inch up there, and have like a 500 watt amp hooked up to it....sounds good, and I love it cause you cant even see the sub when you open the trunk....you have to bend down and look up there to even notice it, so I lost like hardly any trunk space, and it sounds great, obviously i would recommend some dynomat before you put it up there, as it needs it lol

I'll try to remember to get some pics of it this weekend or something
Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 AM
Teching In

Why would yu ruin an integrated Bose system? Just wondering why would it just be the sub...get rid of all of it IMHO
Old 05-19-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea you might not like it. i tried that first. I was coming from 2 solo 12 in a sealed box. Two zr1000 amps and i was not happy with just the replacement sub in the stock location. ended up with 1 solo 12 with 1 zr1000 amp in a ported box. sounds just right. I also replaced all the Bose speakers with some nice morel mids and tweeters. Sounds near perfect since i also got the 360.2 to help me tune it just right.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ITSAV
Thats what I did...I put a Pioneer slim 12inch up there, and have like a 500 watt amp hooked up to it....sounds good, and I love it cause you cant even see the sub when you open the trunk....you have to bend down and look up there to even notice it, so I lost like hardly any trunk space, and it sounds great, obviously i would recommend some dynomat before you put it up there, as it needs it lol

I'll try to remember to get some pics of it this weekend or something
How did you wire in your amp with this setup? This is exactly what I want to do...keep everything stock, but add a bit more punch.

LAW
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Interested in some help as well. I bought a 12" solobaric and an amp with high level input and plan on pulling right out of the Bose amp. I bought the stuff dirt cheap and I'm not looking for something that you can hear two miles away. Just want a little more punch than the factory Bose. Does anybody see a problem with the way I want to do this? This really is unfamiliar territory for me.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheLAW
How did you wire in your amp with this setup? This is exactly what I want to do...keep everything stock, but add a bit more punch.

LAW
Well originally I got one of those output converters to hook up to the stock stereo, and ran it all back to the sub.............but I HATED it that way, I did quite a bit of research on this....and apparently GM had a problem with people cranking up the stereo in these cars, and blowing out the rear sub, and they were replacing them under warranty, so what they did, is they set it up that so it wont play certain decibal levels, and will pull power away from it, cause its still trying to protect the stock sub that isn't there anymore....so it ends up sounding horrible, IMO, nothing matches up at all, so after playing with that for a while, I just pulled out the stock stereo and put this in its place

and than everything sounded 10x better.....I plan to next upgrade all the door speakers and everything as well
Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well originally I got one of those output converters to hook up to the stock stereo, and ran it all back to the sub.............but I HATED it that way, I did quite a bit of research on this....and apparently GM had a problem with people cranking up the stereo in these cars, and blowing out the rear sub, and they were replacing them under warranty, so what they did, is they set it up that so it wont play certain decibal levels, and will pull power away from it, cause its still trying to protect the stock sub that isn't there anymore....so it ends up sounding horrible, IMO, nothing matches up at all, so after playing with that for a while, I just pulled out the stock stereo and put this in its place

and than everything sounded 10x better.....I plan to next upgrade all the door speakers and everything as well
sounds like a very gm type of thing to do.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

I got a 15inch audiobahn flame compression sub and a 2300 watt audiobahn amp I haven't had the ***** to put in my car... Any takers? Muhahaha
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

ITSAV,

Thanks for the input, but I plan on keeping everything stock.....headunit, speakers, etc. and only want to replace the sub and add an amp to run it.

Anybody else done this? If not, any ideas on how to wire in the "new" sub amp?

LAW
Old 05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will a 15" fit where the stock woofer is now?

i've always thought of upgrading all the mids, highs and ofcourse the sub.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

I was wondering the same thing...I got an old school Orion XTR 12 that only requires 1' of box space...I've looked and could build a small enclosure that wouldn't take up hardly any trunk space....not sure on how to wire it into the stock head unit tho....I'm with Law.. need suggestions
Old 05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

10" kicker free air in stock location with a PPi amp. Sounds a lot better then stock but still is not as good as it could be...........
Old 05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BAN-LS1
10" kicker free air in stock location with a PPi amp. Sounds a lot better then stock but still is not as good as it could be...........
nice setup....Lemme ask ya...Why didnt ya go with a 12inch? did ya not want to figgle with opening the area? or?

Iam thinking of using my rotor roter or angle grinder or dremal to open the area.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is not a whole lot of room. There are some other things mounted on the package tray. It was a little work to make the 10 fit.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BAN-LS1
How did you install the PPI amp? Any way to "chain" it into the factory Bose amp?

What mods/cutting (if any) did you have to do to make the sub fit? Also what Kicker model did you use?

Thanks for your input,

LAW
Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheLAW
ITSAV,

Thanks for the input, but I plan on keeping everything stock.....headunit, speakers, etc. and only want to replace the sub and add an amp to run it.

Anybody else done this? If not, any ideas on how to wire in the "new" sub amp?

LAW
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AC+SNI-35.html

this is the part you need, and you just tie this part into the stock headunit, and than with the part, it'll let you run the rca cables to the trunk....now this is just for the sound, I had someone do it for me, I'm not exactly sure how he wired the amp up to the headunit, but he did it, cause I was driving around with the stock headunit, with the sub back there for about a month or so..
Old 05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...AC+SNI-35.html

this is the part you need, and you just tie this part into the stock headunit, and than with the part, it'll let you run the rca cables to the trunk....now this is just for the sound, I had someone do it for me, I'm not exactly sure how he wired the amp up to the headunit, but he did it, cause I was driving around with the stock headunit, with the sub back there for about a month or so..

I would install that in the trunk right after the Bose amp. That converts a high level to a low level RCA. Just pull right out of the Bose amp and then into the new amp from the LOC.

How would it sound if you just took an amp that accepted high level input? That's what I was going to try and if that sounds like **** then install a LOC.

Quick Reply: What Subwoofer you guys running?