Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 engine swap ?s

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 engine swap ?s

Just wondered if anybody could give me any help on my swap. I have a '96 Tahoe, and have a '07 L92 with the computer and harness (that I bought on here noetheless ) that I am getting ready to put in once the truck is back from paint. Anyway, I have heard different ways of doing the swap and wondered what you guys think.

First option that I've heard is to take out the old 5.7 and harness, put the new engine in with the harness and hook it all up, using a preferrably 05+ under hood fusebox for the two largest connectors of the harness. While leaving all of the other wiring in the truck from the 96

Second option is to pay for custom harness from Speartech etc. and then be able to do whatever I want. I plan on modding the engine some (cam, headers, intake, exhaust valves, possible blower if lucky enough) so that factors into the equation as well. Do I have to have all of these mods completed to get the most out of the harness, or can they change the computer settings as I mod it (and will this cost more money to have the settings changed) Also how much do most custom harnesses cost as I have heard wide variation.

Thanks a lot for your help...know that it is much appreciated
Old 11-29-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can have the L92 harness and the Tahoes original harness grafted together, that way you can use your existing gauges. Also, most tuners give you extended services on your computer mods so long as you own the vehicle. One more thing, check out S&P's website (hotrodlane.cc) they have a detailed LS1 swap into a 2-dr Tahoe on there.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/Lisa%20Tahoe.pdf

This is a Gen III but should be basically the same. Plus what trans are you running?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

I actually got the trans, transfer case, and front diff off of the escalade as well. I will take a look at thos links thanks. How hard would it be to use the new harness and fusebox to hook up the new 07+ gauges and other dash components (AC controls possible??)

Thanks for the help
Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Talk to the guys at Current Performance as well. I know they did a setup for someone that is pretty similar to yours. Used the VVT and the T-case from the L92 setup and wired it for an older truck, I think it was a 96-97 truck too.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Note if you use the caddy transfer case it will be AWD and you won't be able to turn it off (make it a 4x2). If it matters. I don't think the front diff will work.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I know it will make it AWD, and also figured I wouldn't need the front diff, but it came as a package so I thought I mine as well take it. I'm not sure how I feel about it being AWD, but I think it will be good for traction, and the L92 gets good gas mileage even with the AWD
Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTtahoe
Yeah, I know it will make it AWD, and also figured I wouldn't need the front diff, but it came as a package so I thought I mine as well take it. I'm not sure how I feel about it being AWD, but I think it will be good for traction, and the L92 gets good gas mileage even with the AWD
If you don't like it you can always swap to part time transfer case later. What gears are in the hoe now? The 6l80 has a killer first gear if its 3.73 it will be nasty off the line with AWD!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

I dont know if any one here has had any dealings with these guys but mastmotorsports .com has alot of issues with the L92 figured out. just my 2 cents.
I watched the video on the chevy truck they transplanted it looked very sweet
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will be running Mast's harness, cam, and ECM. I talked to these guys quite a bit and they have a really nice package. I am keeping VVT in my 240 when I install my L92.

As for the AWD you will really like it. I am on my 3rd Denali truck with the AWD and it is great. The only down side is that when you do want to do a big smokey burnout you can't. With my 01 C3 (Denali) I had an ATI procharger on it and even while turning in the rain and flooring it the truck would still get traction and accelerate hard.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Dam dude, that sounds badass, how much did the harness setup, put you back??
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Give Shaun a call at Mast. He can better get you setup on what you will need. There are a lot of options. I think the ECM and harness can be had for less than $2000 and that comes with the DBW pedal. There setup offers a lot of features that aren't available with some of the other setups out there. It really does end up being affordable when you factor in everything else. Their cam kit has gotten anywhere from 530 to 540hp from a stock L92 and a L76 car intake. The great thing is since they build turnkey engines the ECM you order will come pre-programmed with the correct tune. Good luck with yours and making it AWD would really be awesome. I will probably be putting the same cam setup in my 07 Denali soon. It is great fun to bark all the tires when launching.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, cool thanks, can they work with the ECM and harness that I have, I am figuring so, and hopefully quite a bit cheaper too. I thought about the L7 intake, but don't you need to change the pulleys up front for that?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are going to keep your stock computer and harness then the only thing Mast can do for you is sell the cam kit. You will then have to have someone do a dyno tune on your computer for the cam and either you will have to rework your harness or you will have to send it out to be reworked. Quotes I got on the computer tune and harness were anywhere from $1000 to $1500 from reputable sources not the el-cheapo guys. Then you will also need to buy a DBW gas pedal. Now the computer tune would just disable the emissions and security features. If you want to do the cam swap you will then need a dyno tune. When I did the math after getting quotes it was cheaper and easier to go with the Mast stuff since it is tuned right out of the box. You can always sell your harness and stock computer to someone else and get some of your money back.

As for the L76 car intake you will have to change the water pump and the front drive accessories. This poses a problem when keeping the VVT because you have to run the truck crank pulley to clear the front cover on the engine due to the VVT stuff inside. Mast has a spacer set to properly offset the F-Body front accessories on the motor to work with the truck crank pulley.

I think since you are going into a Tahoe I would keep the truck intake and the truck accessories as it will fit and would be much less headaches. They have a cam setup for the truck intake as well that makes 530hp.

Last edited by sierrac3_s2000; 12-02-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: L92 engine swap ?s