Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness and PCM $ difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness and PCM $ difference

I'm looking at this harness on ebay for $500. It comes with a PCM and a base tune and sounds like a great deal. Especially after getting off the phone with a few companies like Speartech that make swap harnesses and getting prices upward of $1000 for the same package. My question is, what is the difference in these two setups? Is it the quality of materials used like wire, connectors and PCM manufacturer? I'm trying to avoid the, "I bought a cheap piece of **** and now I have to buy the expensive one I was looking at in the first place" scenario. Enlighten me. Thanks
Old 02-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

One of the differences is the type of connectors they use like weatherpak. Some will replace a whole wire while others will use butt connectors. How the repackage the wires and what they connect such as relays for things like ignition or an OBDII connection. Somebody is going to say you get what you pay for but I've seen at least three companies making a really good product and not charging top dollar. The people that use them have no problems with them. Find out if anyone else here has used their product. Ebay feedback is based on what the user thinks when the product first arrived. I like to know how it works two years later. Post up the link and maybe someone will be familiar with it.
If its the PSI unit it will be fine according to the people who have given me feedback.

Last edited by ishmael; 02-24-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Who is the seller? I bought a harness/ pcm combo made for my setup for under $500 IIRC from chevythunder and I have nothing but good things to say about the product and service. The people who say 'you get what you pay for' often say that to justify spending more than they have to. Of course sometimes cheap **** is in fact just cheap **** but paying for a name is, well, paying for a name and in this game there are plenty of other things to spend money on.
Like ishmael said throw up a link and I'll bet someone here has at least heard of the seller.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

The best harness to get off of ebay is from TechRods. You might have to wait awhile to get it but it is worth the wait.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info. The guy is offering the harness, PCM, IAC, TPS, MAF, complete fuel system with Walbro inline 255lph, Wix Corvette filter/regulator all connections and braided line to plum a tank in the rear of a truck for an even grand. I talked to him today and he seems legit and knows what he's talking about anyway. Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_940wt_1167
Old 02-24-2011, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Open loop only WTF is the deal with that? If it's so great of a harness, why does he not include 8 simple wires and two O2 sensor connectors?

Jegs has Walbor for $99

Vette regulator is $40 from Rock Auto not $100
Does not even know how to spell tachometer "TACK"
$90 for a $20 trans connector from GM
No electric fan relays? Start adding up the things you need and a commercial harness is a better deal, IMO

Suggest you do some research before dropping down home hard earned cash
Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can only speak for the harnesses we sell at PSI psiconversion.com. We have finally become a vendor on LS1tech. All of our harnesses are brand new, and use gm Delphi connectors and automotive grade wire and loom. The harness is very easy to install and we offer tech support. We also offer tuned refurbished pcms. Most harnesses ship within 5 days and are stocked. If I can answer any particular questions let me know.

Joe
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone else has already mentioned the lack of fan relays and overcharging for the regulator/ fittings. Extra for the trans control? What trans are you running?
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by psiconversion
I can only speak for the harnesses we sell at PSI psiconversion.com. We have finally become a vendor on LS1tech. All of our harnesses are brand new, and use gm Delphi connectors and automotive grade wire and loom. The harness is very easy to install and we offer tech support. We also offer tuned refurbished pcms. Most harnesses ship within 5 days and are stocked. If I can answer any particular questions let me know.

Joe
Got one of these guys harnesses. Great turnaround time, great price!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bronx_peanut
The best harness to get off of ebay is from TechRods. You might have to wait awhile to get it but it is worth the wait.
+1 for Techrods

Great price and quality harness. Jeff even made some small harness mods for me at no charge. wait was not bad, payed 1/17/11, received 2/10/11 as expected.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Open loop only WTF is the deal with that? If it's so great of a harness, why does he not include 8 simple wires and two O2 sensor connectors?

Jegs has Walbor for $99

Vette regulator is $40 from Rock Auto not $100
Does not even know how to spell tachometer "TACK"
$90 for a $20 trans connector from GM
No electric fan relays? Start adding up the things you need and a commercial harness is a better deal, IMO

Suggest you do some research before dropping down home hard earned cash
^ This. Add up all the pieces that make a harness actually useful and the ready to install price gets a bit higher

Quick Reply: Harness and PCM $ difference