Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A body clutch pedal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A body clutch pedal help

Im swapping a t56 into my 72 chevelle and need to know what you guys are running as far as pedal assemblies??? My car is an auto so i need the pedal and master setup? What's the easiest to swap/cost effective? Thanks Kevin
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Repo Pedals.

I just order some reproduction Brake/Clutch pedals. Then on the Clutch pedal, I cut the tab off, mod it up and welded it in place.
Tip: Used a vise grip to hold the tab in place and just adjusted it to get the correct 1" travel before welding. There is also post in the FAQ thread on the pedal setup (I think it is from a S&P web site).

Name:  DCP_3549.jpg
Views: 9164
Size:  24.6 KB
Name:  DSC_3721.jpg
Views: 2144
Size:  27.2 KB

I also welded a tab for a travel stop
Name:  DSC_3718.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  17.2 KB

BC
Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 AM
Teching In

bczee, I did basically just did the same thing and I just got the clutch bled today for the first time. The only difference is that I drilled the hole for the rod a bit lower. Just wondering how has your setup held up over time? any issues with the master cylinder?

I am thinking the pedal feels a bit strange without the springs in a factory setup that make the pedal feel linear... how is it to drive?

Also, what does your travel stop have on the end of it? rubber cap or something?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 AM
Teching In

oh and I got the repro pedal set at Original Parts group: http://www.opgi.com/

living in OC is great.. can drive right over to Seal Beach and get anything for the Chevelle!
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

What did u use for a master cylinder/size and how did u mount it?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah. I guess I could have play around a bit more on the ratio by moving the placement around. It is a bit heavy but quick at the location I have. Yeah.. No spring.. but you get used to it.

The travel stop is just a Hood stop/adjuster with the rubber cap on it.. seem to workout well... !

I used the oem F-Body clutch Master for a 4th Gen. Used the ATS/S&P adapter plate that I made from the template in the FAQ, was not hard, I used 1/4", but if did again, I'd use 5/16".

It has been working well since late 05'. no problem at all.

Tip: to bleed the Slave, I drilled a hold in the trans tunnel that lined up with the slave bleed valve. Then from the inside, I just use a 1/4" ratch/socket/extention and with a pan under. I step on the pedal and bleed the slave. With the Socket cover the valve. the break fuild will not go anywhere and just drip into the pan below.. Worked out well. The just put a rubber plug in the hole and pull the carpet back (or cut/drill a hold in the carpet).
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Resident

I used a fourth gen f-body setup. Definitely not the easiest but I like the way they turned out. Search kst8engineer in the member list he went over it in his build.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

What FAQ is the adapter plate dimension under? I can't seem to find it thanks. Btw I purchase ls7 clutch setup w a speed bleeder kit.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can find the template here in this FAQ / Sticky !...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ro-basics.html
Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I like the idea of using the factory Z28 pedal set...my engine and trans came with all of that, but it looked really complicated to adapt it since I wanted to keep my brakes the way they were.
I am sure theres an easy way, I believe kst8engineer used the F body brake MC and booster so it might have been easier for him to just start from scratch. I might revisit the idea later if I don't like the travel and feel.

Regarding thickness of the clutch MC bracket, I used 1/8 steel plate, and welded a spacer that bolts the plate to the firewall below the MC to keep the plate from flexing. It seems to do the trick. The pic show the square tube spacer (kinda botched the weld a bit haha)
Attached Thumbnails A body clutch pedal help-ls1-251-large-.jpg   A body clutch pedal help-ls1-252-large-.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I tried to retrofit my factory clutch pedal. Granted, it's a truck and set up a little differently, but I can't seem to get the perfectly straight throw required so you don't quickly kill the MC (I'm on my second MC already...) Might be more doable if I'd remove the whole pedal assembly and make it up on the bench, but I think I'll end up with something like this that has provisions built in for the MC, so I know it will push straight.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WIL-340-1290/

Wilwood makes various assemblies with different mounting positions.

I went with the wilwood 5/8" MC.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:52 AM
On The Tree

Nice thanks for the great info guys I think I'm going to look into a wilwood kit?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dropped72ss
Nice thanks for the great info guys I think I'm going to look into a wilwood kit?
Did you ever get your trans running?
Would anyone who has or can make the bracket want to make another one (I'd pay of course)? I might be getting a t-56 on Thursday so need to start planning.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Did you ever get your trans running?
Would anyone who has or can make the bracket want to make another one (I'd pay of course)? I might be getting a t-56 on Thursday so need to start planning.
I bought mine from Street & Performance I think it was around $80.00 kinda pricey for a $5.00 piece of metal with a bend and a couple of holes in it, but it fit and worked perfectly. I know there are a few other outlets that sell them as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the same issues of figuring out how to do this. I called the guys at t56kit.com and was told all I need to buy is the GM LS1 clutch assembly (PN 12570277), the adapter bracket, and a heim joint adapter along with the stock clutch pedal. Does this sound right or is there anything else I need?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Launching!

I'm getting my clutch pedal from The Parts Place in Elburn IL for $89 because they're local to me.
Doesn't require mods they claim.

They repop and design alot of their own parts and sell them to other parts vendors.

Quick Reply: A body clutch pedal help